Let's talk "10 pound turbos"

Mojoe

So I'm out of town at this school right now. I drove the Legacy here. I make a run to the store with anther guy going to the school. He starts talking cars. Instantly, he starts talking about how fast his Comero was, for a 90's V6. Then on and on about how he raced it all the time and beat everyone, even a bike. My ears are bleeding, and I'm just driving at this point.

I merge on the highway and get on the gas a bit. "Wooow dude, do you have a 10 pound turbo on this thing"!!!!!?

My car is stock with a tune.

It brings me to this. I'm in no way someone who knows all there is on racing or turbo cars. I have not heard someone say "10 pound turbo" in about 10 years. I just remember last I heard it, it was from a guy that was a complete idiot.

Your thought? I know you guys run into people that talk cars and think they have/had the fastest beast EVEEEEER!!!

fast is relative to what you know. I typically dont like talking cars to anyone unless they are somewhat in the know. I get into a bunch of technical talk and sometimes look at them and can tell they have not a single clue what I am talking about even though I think the language is pretty universal.

Hell sometimes a person will see my car ask how much hp and ill throw out the number and they will kind of shrug it off like it aint shit...lol

How much do most turbo's weight?

I would say a stock turbo on a legacy would probably weight in close to 10 lbs. This guy was probably right, not sure what you guys are freaking out about. I know some larger frame turbos would be in the 30-40 lbs range, but those things are huge!

Do you have a turboback exhaust? Intake? Or truly just tune and cat back?

Bunch if the bankers were talking cars the other day so i listened in. Guy goes dude, have you seen the new 2013 accords? They are NICE! I want one! Other guys were tslking about how quiet their lexus and civics were etc. It was funny.

"Stage 10", I lol'd

When I have heard people say "10 pound turbo", they have been trying to refer to its power ability, not how much it actually weights. I really want to mess with them some time and say it's a 45 pound turbo. The. Just see where they go with it.

Aaron, I have bolt ons. But that's just CR stock to me. Hehe

My favorite is "Stage"

I'd take someone for a ride in the Evo, and they would say "damn dude, that's gotta be what, a Stage 10 turbo kit!"

A lot of Dsm guys use "stage" I can't tell you how many srt4 dudes interpret mods into stages..I figured between the bunch as this Stage 1 body kit.. Stage 2 bolt ons.. Stage 3 bigger blow off vavle stage 4.. Bigger turbo and stage 5 a custom tune.. The dude with the no shit built car sitting n the back shaking head..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FmNUWJ4zL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-52,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

The true 10 pound turbo.......diet

Did you have a copy of this on the back seat?

A lot of Dsm guys use "stage" I can't tell you how many srt4 dudes interpret mods into stages..I figured between the bunch as this Stage 1 body kit.. Stage 2 bolt ons.. Stage 3 bigger blow off vavle stage 4.. Bigger turbo and stage 5 a custom tune.. The dude with the no shit built car sitting n the back shaking head..

With srt4 Mopar offered a 3 stage package you could buy.

Joe if I had to guess he was probably referring to the amount of boost as that would be the only thing that makes sense. Other than that I agree with White he is full on potatoe.

mojoe's car runs more then 10psi ;)

and no I've never heard that term. Maybe guy was a idiot and though he was asking about the psi he's running. Some people just don't get it I've tuned boosted cars and when i told them how much boost they ran there like omg all the time that seems like allot for idle....

Are you sure the dsm guys aren't just talking transmission stages? As for the srt guys they can buy kits from mopar that are stage 1, stage 2, etc.