What makes your call on a parts store?

99StockGT

Searched for something on topic about this and didn't find anything to satisfy my curiousity so why not toss my first New Thread here on the subject. So what makes your call? Price? Part availability? Knowledge of the staff? Available space in the parking lot to do a burnout after your purchase?

Completely selfish reason for me asking this which will come later :p, just trying to educate myself for now :fa:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be too incredibly personal but what kind of discount are you looking for? I'm sure we all understand businesses are in business to do business...so what are you typically talking? Blanket discount? Discount on specific areas? ie..brakes..suspension..exhaust?

Not to be too incredibly personal but what kind of discount are you looking for? I'm sure we all understand businesses are in business to do business...so what are you typically talking? Blanket discount? Discount on specific areas? ie..brakes..suspension..exhaust?

Oreillys has a CR account set up and most items are discounted

100% price.... Have yet to meet more than a handful of people at parts store who know anything about cars beyond what part the screen shows

Price and availability. I usually know what I want and rather than deal with the screen monkeys I get the part number myself and give it to them so I get exactly what I want. Otherwise they sort through screen after screen guessing and I get agitated then leave.

Trying to learn before I leap personally. What others take from it they may. Figured what better way to get in touch with some DIY car folk than ask here. Batteries are necessary, light bulbs woo woo exciting, wiper blades I dream about during lunch breaks...but what I think makes a shop more fun/interesting for me are the interactions with customers and the staff. Not to mention it's a bit better image in the parking lot seeing some fun/interesting/sexy(?) cars in the parking lot...gives the average customer more confidence in buying when they know true "Car Folk" buy from the same shop. Hopefully that makes sense..

Trying to learn before I leap personally. What others take from it they may. Figured what better way to get in touch with some DIY car folk than ask here. Batteries are necessary, light bulbs woo woo exciting, wiper blades I dream about during lunch breaks...but what I think makes a shop more fun/interesting for me are the interactions with customers and the staff. Not to mention it's a bit better image in the parking lot seeing some fun/interesting/sexy(?) cars in the parking lot...gives the average customer more confidence in buying when they know true "Car Folk" buy from the same shop. Hopefully that makes sense..

I feel like when i go to a parts store and the person ACTUALLY knows what im talking about it makes it a much much better experience. Id rather go to a store and have people that know wtf there talking about and pay $1 more or something just to have knowledgeable staff on hand. A 30 cent difference doesnt matter enough to not have a knowledgeable person.

That's somewhere close to the answer I was hoping for, so thank you Fubar! I can beat anyone on price, as long as its reasonable..but to me having somewhere I can actually have a reasonably enthused conversation with someone who doesn't give me a dull blank look while grunting at a screen is certainly work an extra $1 or two.

A car parts shop "of the people by the people for the people"? Basically I have recently found myself running a car parts shop here and I'm trying to get a feeling for what the enthusiast car owner is looking for. People who care about their cars, work on their cars, and FIX their own cars would be a big draw and I have no problem taking care of those kinds of people however I need to. If that's discounts, great. If that's staffing my stores with ex-wrench turners and gear heads, fine I can do that.

I'm a fan of doing research before I stick my neck out and as I said before, I figured who best to reach out to than the folks here.

I generally stay away from O'Reilleys now because I've been to a few where the employees are so dumb that I cannot stand buying from them. Namely the high street location just north of campus. I will never go there again, I have several employees on different occasions chances. Due to promotions and generally friendly staff I usually go to advance auto. The cemetery road, riverside drive, and high street/ campus locations have all been positive with me. I don't mind the screen flipping employees because I always look to check that they are looking up the right things. Obviously car guys/gals are preferred though.

I will say what I've gotten my ass reamed for.

1. Being a dick to a customer. This usually happens when they call or come in, have no fucking idea what they need or want, and don't even know the basic information about the vehicle they are doing the work on.

2. Not giving my advice. I don't get paid to sell parts and give my advice for free. I learned it all mostly on my own, no reason they can't as well.

3. Not having parts in stock. Varies store to store, especially with AutoZone. Some stores stock more, some stock less.

Cliffs-dont be a dick even if they are stupid as can be. Give all the advice you can in the world and virtually hold their hand so they dont get scared while changing a headlight. Stock every part for every car ever made.

Being a tech and knowing exactly what I want most of the time I usually just order the stuff I need from an online vendor, usully RockAuto. I like certain brands for certain parts also, and dealing with it online is much easier then explaining it to someone behind a parts counter. If I have to go to an auto parts store I usually wear my work uniform so at least I get treated like I have a clue, the difference in showing up in my street clothes or a technician's uniform is very noticable, of course that usually gets me answering some dumbass's car question so I really don't like going to the parts store regardless.

For me price isnt as important as quality of parts. I have noticed the quality at auto zone going down hill. I dont go there. I never expect the person at the counter to know anything. I get extremely frustrated when they try to advise me of things that arent accurate or when they just don't know shit but try to argue with me. The older guys are usually the worst. I also noticed that I get treated way differently when I wore my work uniform in.

Quality and availability is key for me. I tend to go to napa more than anywhere. Especially here in plain city because of the local factor. They know my name when I come in and take care of me better.