What makes your call on a parts store?

99StockGT

Don't be jumping ahead of me there Mr. Dynoman!! You are picking up my subtle hints and spoiling the supplies! :) But yes that's ultimately where I am going with this. However as I said originally I want to do my homework first and do this right before I stick yee ole neck out. The car show circuit in the works but will be another thread coming up...eventually :) And I guess that clues you in to the PM you'll be getting from me shortly before I post said thread

AAP so far has been one of the best career choices I have ever made. More or less hand picking my crew, ability to run the shop as MY business versus a bunch of out of touch higher ups dictating to me...it's rather refreshing. Well that is as long as I don't give the store away and get my positive atttiude butt canned :)

Glad to here that AAP has been a positive experience for you. This is my slow season so I have some free time. I am sure I can come up one day for lunch to listen to you "Brain" storming of ideas.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's about 45 steps from my store so when I get a moment that's where I'm usually able to sneak off to for nourishment? I have a lot of things worked out in my head and I'm pulling on every string I can to get something enjoyable for all arranged. Need to make sure also that I don't step on anyone's toes with events/planning/promotions.

Being a tech and knowing exactly what I want most of the time I usually just order the stuff I need from an online vendor, usully RockAuto. I like certain brands for certain parts also, and dealing with it online is much easier then explaining it to someone behind a parts counter. If I have to go to an auto parts store I usually wear my work uniform so at least I get treated like I have a clue, the difference in showing up in my street clothes or a technician's uniform is very noticable, of course that usually gets me answering some dumbass's car question so I really don't like going to the parts store regardless.

I typically do all my shopping online also, for mostly the same reasons. However, in a pinch, I battle my way to the counter so I get what I need quickly. I also REALLY like the online ordering and in store pickup that way all I have to to is go get it, no need to fuss with the counter monkeys.

Someone needs to take all the OBD2 scanners out of the part stores and throw them in the trash. I see it time and time again where dumb ass behind the counter sells customer wrong part because of a trouble code stored in the vehicle. 99% of the employees that work in these stores including store managers, their boss, and their bosses boss do not understand why the light could be setting.

Working at the dealership level for the last few years I haven't had to deal with this anymore. It may not be the best way to deal with it, but I always ran people off who would come in with their parts store printout and new parts asking me to install them. I would just flat out refuse, the advisors where I'm at now have a discussion with customers first but I don't have to deal with people anymore when they get mad because it doesn't fix their issue.

To be brutally honest and to pass along many people's opinions that I have worked with, if you are not willing to spend some money having a professional diagnos and repair your car expect to get an attitude from from those people. As a technician this is how I earn a living, giving away answers especially wrong answers makes thing much worse. The shitty chain stores (monro, midas, NTB, ect) then get similar bean counters who think we should give away diag services with repair, and peope wonder why you get shitty low paid parts hangers at these stores.

Sorry to rant, just agreeing with Dyno Brian. Few people who call themselves techs couldn't tell you how alot of systems on cars work, let alone someone at the autoparts store who just learned to use a scanner. I can see the other side because people don't want ripped off and don't have hundreds of dollars to spend on their car in most cases, hence the compounding issues arising from more complicated vehicles, economy, poor training, and a dozen other factors.

Again sorry to rant.

I think almost every time I wash my truck something falls off, so I tend to just let nature take care of the bath these days.

We all have to walk a fine line. I have enough knowledge on machines I have owned over the years to be semi useful, and a decent base to work from on others but I'm not a master tech nor do I want to be. I have no shame in sending my babies to be cared for by the professionals when it's time. There are things I will do myself when I have time/desire, there are others I wouldn't touch for a number of reasons.

Car Doctors are just the same as People or Pet Doctors, professionals who have gone through years of on hand experience and training to get to where they are. Most of us don't expect free doctors visits or vet services why would it be any different? Unfortunately most people don't respect other professionals the same way they used to...but hey change starts with 1 right? :)

Sorry for my optimism :)

I usually go to the closest store to my house which happens to be AAP. Prices are OK, a couple of employees are friendly, and I know what I want before I go in. If they don't have it I get it next day which I am OK with these days. I have learned to shop the way they want me to and it takes all the stress out of it.

If you really want to do something different, start rebuilding your customer base by sponsoring learning workshops for the DIY people who are scared of today's fancy systems. This would give you a great opportunity to partner with some CR guys that have shops and get them some exposure as well. I would venture that a large percentage go to the dealer for everything these days and they need to know that DIY and private shops are still very capable options.

The idea of classes isn't something I have given much thought to but that's possible on a nicer weekend afternoon or something. What type of things are you thinking? Going beyond basic bulb changes and oil changes? I'm envisioning something like a trainings at hardware stores?

Some of that I have in mind for some of the car show/gathering projects I'm in the process with as a way to both demo products and allow some of our client shops to show off a little of their work. More to come as I said on that later :)

Well I would focus on your high profit stuff so you teach the DIY people how to help you make even more money. I could see some proper troubleshooting workshops so they don't take the code reader at face value. Brakes, fluids, detailing techniques…all with your products obviously. I would love to see a "when to dyno tune" workshop but I am not sure that benefits you. Another less popular idea may be to get a (likely former) mechanic to explain some of the scams they run unsuspecting customers. Workshops for women only, reading spark plugs, new technology, the list goes on and on.

Honestly at this point I'm less concerned with profits and margins than I am with improving the experience our customers get. Though if next time they are in and want to buy something expensive that I make a ton of profit in I won't mind. I'll take a steady stream of happy customers confident in the help and service they are getting over a few wandering in to buy a high ticket item here and there.

For street cars - I've got 6-7 cars I maintain. I do the majority of my parts shopping at autozone. Close to home and if the pickerington store doesn't have the parts in stock the reynoldsburg hub usually does. Anything I don't get from them usually comes from an on-line site. For the race cars, I get the basics from autozone and order 'race' parts from specific companies (special projects motor sports, carbotech, slow motion and the like).

As much as I would love to build up a performance parts inventory these days its just impractical. The days of just stocking chevy 350 parts and basic universal bolt ons are unfortunately gone. Though I will be working on trying to bring in a few things all high end car lovers love. Regular maintenance parts and "keep the beater running" parts I can certainly stock :)

Having managed auto parts stores I have a very high expectation for the interaction whether on the phone or in person. Very rarely are my expectations reached letalone exceeded. I always have my part numbers in hand and always check that the part offered is correct. When parts stores replaced catalogs with computers the knowledge of the parts guy went down the tubes. I have had Managers of parts stores tell me they didn't carry a part and got pissy when I told them they did in fact carry it and had it in stock. I was there for many of the milestone transitions...cash registers to computers, typing in sku-qty-price to scanners, catalogs to computers, creative merchandising to planograms and "tell me what a combination valve does" to "can you understand english" as an interview question. Hire people who know more than how to put a cold air kit on a civic, and NEVER hire a hot cashier, even if she does come to the interview wearing her cheerleading uniform, because every guy in the hood will be hanging out at your counter flirting with her and she'll never get the cleaning done!

our manager always tells the "engine light" customer that it is not a diagnosis, just that we can read the code and print that out. If they want an official diagnosis then they would have to take it to a shop, or dealer.

What's the diagnosis on your Mountain Dew tattoo?

I go by best quality part. In other words who makes it and how good of a part it is. I then go by price dealing with local companies who have helped me out in the past or who help the shop out the most. Quality parts are #1 in my book, nothing worse than having to do a job a second time and having an angry customer.

Are you usually using reman or new parts that you have had problems with in the past Crossle? I can tell you on the part supplier side its a big pain in the neck for us as well having to replace a part that's failed. Not to mention it doesn't reflect well on us when lifetime parts fail in a year or two..though sometimes improper installation does accelerate the death of some parts.