Resume questions

dakotart

doesnt sound like it

put up

education

work experiance

skills/certifications (could be considered summary of qualifications) but i wouldnt put that at the top.

Last time I researched (and it has been a few years) education was supposed to go to bottom (to put more of a view on your experience), and the Summary replaced the skills section.

I would throw that in my Objective field then, something along the lines of "looking to use my vast experience in IT for your company and further my career"

I thought that the Summary of Qualifications had replaced the Objective.

Initially, this will be used to apply for open positions at my current company.

Thanks

What do you mean "replaced" it? Is there a resume rule list somewhere? lol

I thought that I read (a few years ago) that you don't include the skills section anymore and instead use a "Summary of qualifications"

I'm on about a 4 year schedule for updating this and the "rules" change what seems like every 6 months.

Education on top if you are a new graduate (typically that is your greatest asset at that age) and at the bottom if it is not.

I see 100's of resumes a week and probably half have a Summary of Qualifications...I love them because I don't have time to read it all and that usually helps.

Education on top if you are a new graduate (typically that is your greatest asset at that age) and at the bottom if it is not.

I see 100's of resumes a week and probably half have a Summary of Qualifications...I love them because I don't have time to read it all and that usually helps.

My bachelors degree was 10 years ago and my masters degree 3 years.

Good to know about the summary. That's the exact reason that I read for using it. Managers don't have time to read much else.

I would recommend you lead off with what the title of the job you're after is. Especially if you have experience in that field. Under that you can put your current situation. Example in sales whereby a individual contributor today is looking to move up to a management role:

SALES MANAGER / DIRECTOR OF SALES

Business Development Executive / Solution Consultant / Sr. Level Sales Executive

Below that I would put a summary of qualifications section then followed by some key words. This will not only be very concise and simple and easy for an HR person to identify key attributes, but it will also be easy to import into their system. Especially important if you're applying online.

Example from the same resume:

Competitive, hands-on self directed team player with successful experience in directs sales and multi-tiered distribution channel network construction, delivering solid, dependable revenue gains and vigorous business and inter-personal relationships. Award winning team builder focused on the continuous delivery of top quality products and services. An Intellectually curious problem solver with superior expertise in product launches and brand development. Sought-after marketing strategist & thought leader. Dependable territory manager with proven record developing complex, inter-state sales networks. Ability to make concise, effective presentations to senior management. Counted on to consistently meet and exceed stringent deadlines and quotas. Team player, mentor and confidant.

Sales and Territory Management • Operational Streamlining • High-Volume Sales • Revenue Growth • Key Account Management • Needs Assessment • SAS • Multi-Channel Sales • Brand Management • New Business Development • C-Level Negotiations • Market Analysis • Program Management • Enterprise Level Sales • Team Leadership and Training • International Sales • Change Management • Outside Sales • Strategic Planning • Key Staff Mentoring • Problem Resolution • Customer Relations and Service • Contract Negotiation • Interactive Marketing • Product Launch • Corporate and Client Presentations • Budgeting • Communications

From there I would go right into your professional experience. Keep it relevant and to the point using measurable and tangable numbers, metrics and percentages, etc. Key is relevant to the job you're targeting.

If you're out of school for 10+ years as noted, put the education at the end.

I would recommend you lead off with what the title of the job you're after is. Especially if you have experience in that field. Under that you can put your current situation. Example in sales whereby a individual contributor today is looking to move up to a management role:

SALES MANAGER / DIRECTOR OF SALES

Business Development Executive / Solution Consultant / Sr. Level Sales Executive

Below that I would put a summary of qualifications section then followed by some key words. This will not only be very concise and simple and easy for an HR person to identify key attributes, but it will also be easy to import into their system. Especially important if you're applying online.

Example from the same resume:

Competitive, hands-on self directed team player with successful experience in directs sales and multi-tiered distribution channel network construction, delivering solid, dependable revenue gains and vigorous business and inter-personal relationships. Award winning team builder focused on the continuous delivery of top quality products and services. An Intellectually curious problem solver with superior expertise in product launches and brand development. Sought-after marketing strategist & thought leader. Dependable territory manager with proven record developing complex, inter-state sales networks. Ability to make concise, effective presentations to senior management. Counted on to consistently meet and exceed stringent deadlines and quotas. Team player, mentor and confidant.

Sales and Territory Management • Operational Streamlining • High-Volume Sales • Revenue Growth • Key Account Management • Needs Assessment • SAS • Multi-Channel Sales • Brand Management • New Business Development • C-Level Negotiations • Market Analysis • Program Management • Enterprise Level Sales • Team Leadership and Training • International Sales • Change Management • Outside Sales • Strategic Planning • Key Staff Mentoring • Problem Resolution • Customer Relations and Service • Contract Negotiation • Interactive Marketing • Product Launch • Corporate and Client Presentations • Budgeting • Communications

From there I would go right into your professional experience. Keep it relevant and to the point using measurable and tangable numbers, metrics and percentages, etc. Key is relevant to the job you're targeting.

If you're out of school for 10+ years as noted, put the education at the end.

We sure do disagree a lot for two dudes who have the EXACT same resume, appearance and all.

• 2 weeks later...

Do not put an "Objective". Employers don't care about your objective. They care about how you can help meet THEIR objectives.

See http://richgrunenwald.blogspot.com/2010/01/using-your-resume-to-turn-inquiries.html

Also, google "How recruiters review your resume' in 30 seconds or less".

Essentially, the whole idea is to put yourself in the shoes of the person who might receive your resume' and arrange your resume' to pique their interest.