Another new guys in Dublin (w/ car pictures)

briansb

We talked a bit at C&C the other weekend. He really knows his automotive tech stuff! Welcome to CR. :)

Welcome! Likely have seen you around the Dublin area. In my daily Fusion mostly but I take the MS3 out on weekends.

Nice stable of toys.

Thanks for the welcome and rep everyone. Look forward to seeing everyone around

Welcome, and nice intro. Surprisingly (or maybe not) the frame geometry doesn't look much different from the car we built my senior year. Nice toys.

Not really surprising, lol. Only so many ways to package all the bits into a 60 to 69" wheel base and run 10 or 13" wheels while still managing to shove some unpredictable fleshy bits between all the controls.

There are actually three different formula cars in the pictures there, though I had a hand in all of them. The first one (bright red one with the wing, #353) is the one I own. Typically double wishbone suspension with a monoshock front and rear and a 4cyl 600cc engine running through a quaife differential. The last car (the one in the rain, #108) is an older/larger car. It was our first go with the monoshock. Very reliable car. I am actually working on adding that one to my garage as well.

The frame I am welding on is the one shown on the dyno - that was a radically different car. 500cc odd-fire inline twin snowmobile engine (Yamaha Phazer) running a CVT to a spool - on a solid rear axle with swing-arm suspension. Sounds odd for a formula car but the thing was light and fast and a blast to drive. Felt right at home for someone that learned to race on dirt : )

Formula SAE and the engineering/design of them (or any car really) have always been a big part of my life and I'll gladly talk to anyone about what goes into the design and help with any projects you might have.

Not really surprising, lol. Only so many ways to package all the bits into a 60 to 69" wheel base and run 10 or 13" wheels while still managing to shove some unpredictable fleshy bits between all the controls.

Yeah, true.

There are actually three different formula cars in the pictures there, though I had a hand in all of them. The first one (bright red one with the wing, #353) is the one I own. Typically double wishbone suspension with a monoshock front and rear and a 4cyl 600cc engine running through a quaife differential. The last car (the one in the rain, #108) is an older/larger car. It was our first go with the monoshock. Very reliable car. I am actually working on adding that one to my garage as well.

The frame I am welding on is the one shown on the dyno - that was a radically different car. 500cc odd-fire inline twin snowmobile engine (Yamaha Phazer) running a CVT to a spool - on a solid rear axle with swing-arm suspension. Sounds odd for a formula car but the thing was light and fast and a blast to drive. Felt right at home for someone that learned to race on dirt : )

What years were you at competition? I always wanted to do FSAE, but only was able to my senior year (2005 competition). Our '05 car was similar to our previous designs, but was much better sorted. We got screwed and had to run our times in the rain, while others ran in the dry. We had the typical double wishbones front and rear, revalved mountain bike shocks/springs on each corner, F4i engine, and a Honda ATV diff in a custom CNC'd housing.

Sounds like a fun A-mod car, though!