I think I'm finally ready for a BRZ

Doc1647545523

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be ready to search for one, and don't think they are cheap, the Limited BRZ at Byers Mazda Subaru had a $5000 over sticker availability charge which took it to $32,000.

These have been sitting at my local Subaru dealer.... I assumed they weren't selling..

Every dealership is going to try and milk you for the 2013s. The 2014s are coming and they'll be a bit more available.

Cooling is turning out to be an issue with steady use of FI. But there's already a radiator/oil cooler option available.

As for boosted reliability, these engines are holding up. There's one destroyed engine on FT-86 club but that has been backtracked to an installation issue with the wastegate.

Accelerated Performance has a fully built BRZ making 750hp, and it's not an EJ swap.

Accelerated Performance has a fully built BRZ making 750hp, and it's not an EJ swap.

Does anyone have a ballpark price estimate of what a shop such as Crawford or Accelerated Performance gets for one of these built monsters?

Does anyone have a ballpark price estimate of what a shop such as Crawford or Accelerated Performance gets for one of these built monsters?

Probably in the 60k ISH range including the car...

I'm not going for big numbers. I want this torque curve:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=38141&stc=1&d=1369127265

(Don't pay too close attention to the numbers. They need some translation and adjustment.)

With this sound: (less the pad knock)

(Don't pay too close attention to the numbers. They need some translation and adjustment.)

What 'translation and adjustment' do they need other than converting from Kw ~> HP and Nm ~> ft-lbs?

In that case, the car went from about 140/140 to 220/220. That's about what Paul's Miata makes right? So it will still run a 15 second quarter.

What 'translation and adjustment' do they need other than converting from Kw ~> HP and Nm ~> ft-lbs?

In that case, the car went from about 140/140 to 220/220. That's about what Paul's Miata makes right? So it will still run a 15 second quarter.

Stock BRZs dyno around 165 which is about right for a manual RWD car with 200hp at the flywheel. That puts the final number closer to 250 at the wheels which is a little north of 290 at the flywheel.

The torque numbers are already adjusted to be at the flywheel (silly Aussies) but seem to be about 7% low.

But this kit has never been about peak numbers. It's the area under the curve that it excels at.

I can dig that, more power under the curve/flat torque makes for a better driver all around IMHO.

Yeah, I think that curve and this car is a match made in heaven.

We'll see. I'm pretty much set on getting this.

I'd love a built/turbo BRZ but for the price I'd also have to consider just buying an FRS and being the first one to do an LS swap.

I don't think you'd be the first. Wasn't there already one in the works?