College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

Apparently the biggest reason Gene hasn't been let go is he's being protected by a very powerful donor/BoT member who likes to basically use Gene as his proxy to control the AD himself.

False, its because he runs the most fiscally efficient athletic department in the nation.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gene Smith has done nothing special. No one thinks there aren't plenty of other AD candidates out there who could do his job just as well. But Mr. Schottenstein likes having his puppet.

Yeah nothing special, he only

runs the most fiscally efficient athletic department in the nation.

That's not something plenty of other AD's out there can do. Andy Geiger couldn't do it.

Schottenstein is the only reason Smith is still here? LOL, some funny things you read on those pay forums. He has only been the chair for 1 1/2 years. If the board wanted him out, they would vote him out. Schottenstein isn't the only one on the board who likes money.

This is hilarious

Probably time to just move on from that topic again.

nevada had a little pow wow with "the three wisemen of OSU football" today and there were lots of discussions. Most interesting to me was the talk of replacements for coordinators should Herman and Luke move on after this year.

For OC - might have to name Warriner OC to keep him on staff. He was passed over at ND which was a big reason OSU was able to steal him. Urban's favorite would be Phillip Montgomer at Baylor. Pretty boring, obvious choice IMO but wouldn't be a bad thing. Probably also wouldn't happen. A cool name from the discussion was David Yost. WR coach at WSU right now. Was great at Mizzou as their OC for years but "burnt out" but came back pretty quick. He's an Ohio guy as well.

For DC - Urban's favorite would be Chavis, again. Chavis is supposedly open to a new challenge and he and Urban talk from time to time. But he's already said no once. The interesting, "under the radar" name here was Dallas Cowboys LB coach Matt Eberflus. Another Ohio guy.

Probably time to just move on from that topic again.

nevada had a little pow wow with "the three wisemen of OSU football" today and there were lots of discussions. Most interesting to me was the talk of replacements for coordinators should Herman and Luke move on after this year.

For OC - might have to name Warriner OC to keep him on staff. He was passed over at ND which was a big reason OSU was able to steal him. Urban's favorite would be Phillip Montgomer at Baylor. Pretty boring, obvious choice IMO but wouldn't be a bad thing. Probably also wouldn't happen. A cool name from the discussion was David Yost. WR coach at WSU right now. Was great at Mizzou as their OC for years but "burnt out" but came back pretty quick. He's an Ohio guy as well.

For DC - Urban's favorite would be Chavis, again. Chavis is supposedly open to a new challenge and he and Urban talk from time to time. But he's already said no once. The interesting, "under the radar" name here was Dallas Cowboys LB coach Matt Eberflus. Another Ohio guy.

Herman will be replaced with an experienced QB coach in terms of bodies, so Montgomery and Yost are solid names, but will they play second fiddle to Warriner?

As for DC, will Withers be let go? I would think he would be promoted to head DC and they would just hire a LB coach.

That makes sense about why Gene is still around. I'm convinced he and the President knew about Tattoo-gate and just made Tressel take the fall for it.

Just wanted to toss in that I agree completely with this theory and have been saying it for a long time.

OK, back to useful discussion re: Coaching stuff.

Herman will be replaced with an experienced QB coach in terms of bodies, so Montgomery and Yost are solid names, but will they play second fiddle to Warriner?

As for DC, will Withers be let go? I would think he would be promoted to head DC and they would just hire a LB coach.

I think the chance of Montgomery coming would be about 0.000001%. He's been with Briles since they were at some HS in Texas almost 20 years ago. But based on what Baylor is doing right now he's just the obvious choice as a guy who Urban would call the second Herman left to gauge interest. Yost was similar with Pinkel but obviously broke that off after last season. I think Yost would be perfectly fine being a co-coordinator with Warinner if it came to that. One of the reasons he abandoned ship in Mizzou was because he felt he was having to "put on too many hats". Pinkel gave him too much responsibility all at once and he didn't like it.

As far as Withers is concerned it wasn't really discussed. Withers and Coombs are great recruiters (which is priority #1 with Urban) and real fiery guys but their position groups are so unimpressive. Both Chavis' and Eberflus' specialty is LB's so either one would be able to essentially plug and play for Luke if he was gone.

Edit: Wanted to go back through nevada's thread with all this stuff to check on something before posting it. Yost may have already been "reached out" to in order to see if he'd be interested if/when Herman leaves. Looking at his bio on the WSU website it gives the timeline for his added responsibilities under Pinkel. Was just QB coach and recruiting coordinator at first. Became OC in 2009. Then Pinkel threw on assistant HC in 2011 and Yost quit after the 2012 season just to pop up as a receivers coach at WSU for the 2013 season. Just going off that I think it would almost be a perfect situation for him to work under or alongside Warinner.

As far as Withers is concerned it wasn't really discussed. Withers and Coombs are great recruiters (which is priority #1 with Urban) and real fiery guys but their position groups are so unimpressive. Both Chavis' and Eberflus' specialty is LB's so either one would be able to essentially plug and play for Luke if he was gone.

Basically from what I understand, I think Meyer would like both Withers and Fickell to leave. There are basically 3 opinions on how the defense should be run. Meyer wants 7-8 in covereage and the d-line getting all pressure. Fickell wants a strong zone with some zone blitzes and cover 1 thrown in. Withers wants a "sit back and trigger" kind of defense to create turnovers.

Put all that together we have a soft zone with no blitzes and a young DL that needs some help. Sounds wonderful don't it?

Basically from what I understand, I think Meyer would like both Withers and Fickell to leave. There are basically 3 opinions on how the defense should be run. Meyer wants 7-8 in covereage and the d-line getting all pressure. Fickell wants a strong zone with some zone blitzes and cover 1 thrown in. Withers wants a "sit back and trigger" kind of defense to create turnovers.

Put all that together we have a soft zone with no blitzes and a young DL that needs some help. Sounds wonderful don't it?

According to nevada Urban has upped his involvement in the defense from about 15-20% on a normal week to about 70% this week. So who knows what kind of special sauce we'll get Saturday night.

According to nevada Urban has upped his involvement in the defense from about 15-20% on a normal week to about 70% this week. So who knows what kind of special sauce we'll get Saturday night.

Maybe it will gel the defense. I don't care what scheme they play as long as it works. We just can't have these different position groups coaching different strategies causing players to blow assignments. Against Iowa they were playing a cover 3 with the LB covering the flats. The LB were being coached to play run support first. The DB's were coached to take an immediate drop and sit. What happens? The LB are chasing and the DB are already downfield. It wasn't just their QB hitting a hole in the zone, it was just a poorly executed cluster. That TD that Reeves gave up was PURELY on the DB coaching. He is coached to go for the pick, not the tight coverage and the PBU.

Not surprising, considering that's the defense that he himself thrived in, and also the one that Dantonio ran that was just SICK back in the early Tressel years.

I've always said (whined?) that Ohio State never got the credit it deserved for having such a solid defense for so many years under Tressel/Dantonio. People used to bitch and complain about how boring Ohio State's offense was for so many of those years, but always neglected to point out that when your defense was as good as ours, 20 to 24 points from your offense is more than enough to win a ton of games.

I've always said (whined?) that Ohio State never got the credit it deserved for having such a solid defense for so many years under Tressel/Dantonio. People used to bitch and complain about how boring Ohio State's offense was for so many of those years, but always neglected to point out that when your defense was as good as ours, 20 to 24 points from your offense is more than enough to win a ton of games.

Indeed. Our defense was just flat out sick. We made what was a POTENT offense in Miami look dazed and confused in that NC game. I remember reading the article afterwards and the quotes from the Miami linemen admitting that the majority of the time, they really had no idea who to block and where the blitzes were coming from. For all of his faults as a HC, Dantonio is a genius DC.

Just to drag this conversation back into the mud, a couple things would have been guaranteed by Gene Smith offering up the sacrificial bowl game. One we would not have lost to another SEC team in a bowl game, while simultaneously forfeiting our only bowl win over an SEC team. Two, we would not have had a losing record, to cap off an already abysmal year. No, you can't prove one way or another about additional banning because that's not how our time machines work yet, but Miami coughed up two bowl game for years of violations, in the tens of thousands of dollars range, possibly hundreds of thousands, and got piddly scholarship reductions added.

Just to drag this conversation back into the mud, a couple things would have been guaranteed by Gene Smith offering up the sacrificial bowl game. One we would not have lost to another SEC team in a bowl game, while simultaneously forfeiting our only bowl win over an SEC team. Two, we would not have had a losing record, to cap off an already abysmal year. No, you can't prove one way or another about additional banning because that's not how our time machines work yet, but Miami coughed up two bowl game for years of violations, in the tens of thousands of dollars range, possibly hundreds of thousands, and got piddly scholarship reductions added.

The Miami situation is not comparable. The NCAA screwed up the investigation so badly that Miami had a legit lawsuit against the NCAA if they hampered their athletic department operations. They are a private university, so they operate off of receipts, meaning that they could sue the NCAA for impeding the financial operations of the university. Had the NCAA not screwed up, the Football and Basketball programs were probably both looking at 3-4 years post season bans, mulitple scholarship losses, and more show cause penalties.

I think OSU as a whole got its due credit for the defense it fielded during the Tressel era. I think where the respect was lacking was for a guy like Jim Heacock. He was never lauded like Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, John Chavis or so many others were as he fielded a top 5 defense year in and year out. Unfortunately I think so much of that came directly from the fact that he wasn't paid nearly as much as those guys. Assistants under Tressel topped out right around $300-350k a year. Kirby Smart and John Chavis are currently making over $1m a year.

According to nevada OSU's checkbook would be wide open for Urban to replace staff this offseason so despite Chavis' hefty price tag, it would definitely be doable.

Ohio State is currently 4th in the country in total staff salary. Only $300k behind LSU but still over $1.5m behind Alabama and Texas (they sure aren't getting their money's worth...lol).

Something I really enjoyed reading as I just looked up salaries... Urban Meyer is the 2nd youngest coach of the top 10 highest paid coaches in the country. Only Gundy at Okie St. is younger. Urban is 13 years younger than Saban. You kind of start salivating at the thought of having Urban at OSU for another decade and maturing and perfecting his system as Saban has.

I think OSU as a whole got its due credit for the defense it fielded during the Tressel era.

Ask a random college football fan - or even any Ohio State fan - to name dominant defenses over the past 15 to 20 years in college football, I bet Ohio State's name doesn't even crack the top 5. Rather, you'd get USC, Alabama, and LSU (from past decade) and Florida State and Nebraska (from the mid-1990s). While I don't have the numbers, I'm willing to bet Ohio State is statistically right up there. That's why I don't think they get the respect they deserve - because they aren't ever thrown in the discussion about great defenses when they should be.

Ask a random college football fan - or even any Ohio State fan - to name dominant defenses over the past 15 to 20 years in college football, I bet Ohio State's name doesn't even crack the top 5. Rather, you'd get USC, Alabama, and LSU (from past decade) and Florida State and Nebraska (from the mid-1990s). While I don't have the numbers, I'm willing to bet Ohio State is statistically right up there. That's why I don't think they get the respect they deserve - because they aren't ever thrown in the discussion about great defenses when they should be.

I think it is due to the fact that during tressel years, the performance of our defense is over shadowed by the lack of performances on offense.

I think it is due to the fact that during tressel years, the performance of our defense is over shadowed by the lack of performances on offense.

When honestly, the opposite should be true.

Media -"OSU? Ugh, their offense sucks."

Logic - "They won 7 conference championships in a row, played in 3 NC games, and won one of them."

Media -"Man, that conference must suck."

Logic -"OR, maybe, the defense is badass."

Media -"Whatever."

EDIT: So,we have ONE team on that list. And, it doesn't even feel like it was the best defense we had in that time span.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-bcs-greatest-defenses

Edited by Orion

Another change to next years schedule, apparently this one done due to ESPN. I feel ESPN has way too much pull in college sports at this point.

"Ohio State will host Atlantic Coast Conference power Virginia Tech on Sept. 6 next year instead of Sept. 20, as was originally scheduled. ESPN approached both schools about the date change and the possibility of either a full national telecast at 3:30 p.m. or a primetime telecast. Both schools supported the change.

Sept. 6 was initially an off week for the Buckeyes after the season-opener against Navy at Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium. The first off week of the 2014 season will now move to Sept. 20. The complete 2014 schedule is below."

2014 Ohio State Football Schedule - Adjusted Oct. 24, 2013

Aug. 30 - vs. Navy (at Baltimore's M&T Bank Stadium)

Sept. 6 - Virginia Tech

Sept. 13 - Kent State

Sept. 20 - Off

Sept. 27 - Cincinnati

Oct. 4 - at Maryland

Oct. 11 - Off

Oct. 18 - Rutgers

Oct. 25 - at Penn State

Nov. 1 - Illinois

Nov. 8 - at Michigan State

Nov. 15 - at Minnesota

Nov. 22 - Indiana

Nov. 29 - Michigan

Dec. 6 - Big Ten Championship Game

So ESPN either had no other good games for September 6th or too many good games for September 20th. I know Florida-Bama is September 20th next year. Probably CBS though. Looks like the final regularly scheduled Michigan-ND game will be September 6th but since it's @ ND that will be an NBC game.