College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

I am not buying into any of that. I am buying into the fact that OSU's opponents aren't very good. Wisconsin is the best win that OSU has plain and simple. They are ranked 24th and will be ranked around the same come seasons end if they win out and win their bowl game. There is no debating that right now. If Michigan State somehow wins out, gets in the top 10 then there is 1 quality win for OSU. The question then becomes is it too little too late? If it makes you feel better, many feel that Florida State will start losing ground due to their schedule as well.

There you are buying in to the pundits. I have the exact opposite opinion.

Buffalo is solid for an opening game.

Iowa is better than decent.

PSU isn't bad

Wisconsin is good

Michigan is solid but not great.

MSU will be a great match up in the B1G championship. I think the league is actually pretty middle heavy this year. More solid teams. Only 1 great team, 2 good teams, and multiple solid teams. The past few years it has been 2-3 good teams then nothing.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't live/breathe college football, but wasn't Northwestern on track to be a pretty good team up until they had some injuries?

And I agree with both sides. OSU's schedule isn't nearly as 'hard' as say the SEC or Pac-12, however, there's not much they can do about that. The are presented with teams, they play them, and they beat them. What else are they supposed to do?

There you are buying in to the pundits. I have the exact opposite opinion.

Buffalo is solid for an opening game.

Iowa is better than decent.

PSU isn't bad

Wisconsin is good

Michigan is solid but not great.

MSU will be a great match up in the B1G championship. I think the league is actually pretty middle heavy this year. More solid teams. Only 1 great team, 2 good teams, and multiple solid teams. The past few years it has been 2-3 good teams then nothing.

Iowa is better than decent? They have lost to every ranked team they've faced haha. They have wins against Missouri St, Iowa St, W Michigan, Minnesota and NW in OT. They lost to OSU, Michigan St and Northen Illinois.

I think the gap between #1-2 and the rest of the league is huge. We'll see that by seasons end when a lot of the current 2 loss teams are 3-4 loss teams.

What needs to happen is the big 10 to go undefeated in the bowl season and do it big. That would help sway the perception some hopefully

Iowa is better than decent? They have lost to every ranked team they've faced haha. They have wins against Missouri St, Iowa St, W Michigan, Minnesota and NW in OT. They lost to OSU, Michigan St and Northen Illinois.

I think the gap between #1-2 and the rest of the league is huge. We'll see that by seasons end when a lot of the current 2 loss teams are 3-4 loss teams.

The teams they have lost to are 38-2. They are still gonna lose to Wisconsin, but again, I've never bought into the polls being an end all to how good a team is. Iowa is not a bad team at all. I could see Wisconsin being their last loss, putting them at 8-4. That's not bad.

On the other hand, Nebraska is fake good and I'm glad we Dont play them this year.

So now you're playing numbers don't lie? LOL. Sadly the media and voters care about the polls.

Does the media affect how you feel about your team.

Luckily this is the last year we have to deal with this shit on this level.

No, I love Ohio State regardless if they are undefeated, 6-6 or 0-12 (although I am sure this will be me hating on them). How I feel about OSU plays no role on them making it to the NCG, how the voters feel about them does however play a role. I think the playoff will create more trouble than people see right now. I have said this since they announced it was a 4 team playoff. They are hoping 4 teams go undefeated each year, what happens when you have years where 6 major conference champions are undfeated? Who gets left out then? The 2 teams with the least impressive resume in the eyes of voters once again (I call the committee heading the playoffs voters).

Wisconsin is the best win that OSU has plain and simple. They are ranked 24th and will be ranked around the same come seasons end if they win out and win their bowl game.

If they win out and win their bowl game, they will be at least top 15 if not top 10. That's another quality win if my book.

The only 1 loss team that can jump Ohio State will be Alabama. Oregon, Stanford, and Florida State doesn't have a strong enough schedule to jump tOSU.

CHAMPAIGN, ILL. — Illinois quarterback Nathan Scheelhaase’s father has been banned from campus for a year after his arrest over an altercation at Saturday’s football game.

Because he does.

If Ohio State smokes its bowl opponent, regardless of who it is, then they will get a ton of respect. It will start to feel like USC in the mid-2000s: a dominant team that is hindered by a crappy conference. USC should have won about 4 national titles in the past 10 years. If they played in the SEC they would have. I'm convinced the would have manhandled a lot of SEC teams in bowl games.

Because he does.

If Ohio State smokes its bowl opponent, regardless of who it is, then they will get a ton of respect. It will start to feel like USC in the mid-2000s: a dominant team that is hindered by a crappy conference. USC should have won about 4 national titles in the past 10 years. If they played in the SEC they would have. I'm convinced the would have manhandled a lot of SEC teams in bowl games.

Undefeated OSU smokes a 1 loss Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Rest of B1G wins their bowl games. AP National Champ? lol Is that even possible with the BCS?

Because he does.

USC was great against big-time opponents but always dropped a game they shouldn't have. Cal in 2003. UCLA in 2006. Oregon State in 2008. They win those 3 games and they play for 3 more national titles. Funnily enough, 2003 and 2008 would have been against Oklahoma again. A team they absolutely demolished in the 2004 title game. 2006 they would have had the honor of doing to OSU what Florida did. Although maybe if it's Pac 10 "team of the century" USC instead of "on the rise" Florida from the mediocre SEC the OSU players actually try to stay in shape and prepare for the game instead of... well... doing what they did.

Why do I get the distinct impression that LJ likes to argue, just for the sake of arguing.

Because he does.

http://narwhaler.com/original/di/l/high-res-awesome-smiley-face-dILWfI.jpg

USC was great against big-time opponents but always dropped a game they shouldn't have. Cal in 2003. UCLA in 2006. Oregon State in 2008. They win those 3 games and they play for 3 more national titles. Funnily enough, 2003 and 2008 would have been against Oklahoma again. A team they absolutely demolished in the 2004 title game. 2006 they would have had the honor of doing to OSU what Florida did. Although maybe if it's Pac 10 "team of the century" USC instead of "on the rise" Florida from the mediocre SEC the OSU players actually try to stay in shape and prepare for the game instead of... well... doing what they did.

USC losses were always such an enigma. We see that Carroll isn't a bad coach from his expanded body of work. I think towards the end USC had some overrated players in the mental aspect of the game, which was one of their biggest downfalls.

Undefeated OSU smokes a 1 loss Oregon in the Rose Bowl. Rest of B1G wins their bowl games. AP National Champ? lol Is that even possible with the BCS?

I think that's possible if Ohio State is the only undefeated team and they still get left out of the NCG. And, like you said, I think the B1G would have to do great in bowl season for that to be a consideration.

So, let's say it's Bama (who loses to LSU, but goes on to win SEC) versus Florida State (who loses to Miami, but wins in rematch and wins ACC) in the NCG game. (Ohio State is undefeated but left out because of SOS.) And they have a sloppy game, they both look bad, etc. And then you have Ohio State who waxes a 1 loss Oregon team in Rose Bowl. I could see that resulting in some consideration for a split NC. Probably wouldn't happen, but it could.

Agreed on all of that. But what I was saying is that if USC played in SEC during those years they likely still made the NCG because their SOS. (Or, said a little differently, it was the PAC-10 that kept them from playing for NC.) Didn't Florida lose to Auburn the year they beat us for NC? And didn't LSU lose to Arkansas the year they beat us for NC? And did Florida lose to Ole Miss (at home) the other year they won NC? And then of course there's Alabama losing at home to LSU in a colossally boring game and them still going on to win NC. With the exception of Auburn, haven't all the SEC teams that have won BCS national championships all had at least one loss?

I would like to see some of those USC teams vs the recent Bama teams.

Epic battles for sure.

I would have paid money to see the 2008 USC team play the 2008 Florida team that won the NC. Speed fucking galore.

During their run, USC didn't lose a single "big" game with the exception of the NC game to Texas, which is arguably the greatest football game ever played. And, quite frankly, they should have won that one, too.