College Football Thread v2.0

Dr. Pomade

16 teams in the top 25 without a win against a ranked opponent...

Oregon (0), Baylor (0), Miami (0), Missouri (0), Texas Tech (0), Clemson (0), Oklahoma (0), Oklahoma State (0), Texas A&M (0), Louisville (0), Fresno State (0), Virginia Tech (0), Nebraska (0), Northern Illinois (0), Michigan (0), and Wisconsin (0).

Only Alabama has more than 1 (Virginia Tech, Texas A&M).

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty crazy when you think about when Oregon jumped OSU. They jumped OSU in the meaningless AP poll after week 1 where Oregon beat FCS Nicholls State 66-3 and OSU beat FBS Buffalo 40-20. Sure, the Buffalo game wasn't great and a lot of that was thanks to the Ohio State OL playing their worst game of the last 2 seasons. That's a 50-something to 13 game if the OL plays the way it has for the other 18 games of this 19-game winning streak. And Buffalo's only losses this season have been to, using the coaches' poll since it actually matters, top 5 teams. They are currently on a 5-game winning streak.

Then after week 2, Oregon jumped OSU in the coaches' poll. OSU won their week 2 game 42-7 over SDSU, currently on a 3-game win streak of their own, and Oregon won in a tough, tough (/sarcasm) road game @ Virginia, who is currently on a 4-game losing streak and will probably be firing their HC after this season. Which is nice for OSU since Meyer and his staff can hopefully raid their class for 5* safety Quin Blanding. :gabe:

BCS standings

1. Alabama

2. Florida State

3. Oregon

4. Ohio State

5. Missouri

6. Stanford

7. Miami

8. Baylor

9. Clemson

10. Texas Tech

Worth nothing that in the last 15 years the top 2 in the first BCS standings have only gone on to play for the title once.

This picture says so much...

http://www.jwinslow.com/photos/Ohio%20State/Football/2013/10.19%20Iowa/131019_0060.jpg

Reeves: I have no idea what just happened. Did we score?

Meyer; oh Jesus Christ

Reeves: Coach, that man was 50 maybe 60 pounds heavier than me. Even if I did catch up he could have seriously hurt me. I don't know what I could have done.

Meyer: We really should have gone through with shaving Bradley's head at halftime and putting your jersey on him.

16 teams in the top 25 without a win against a ranked opponent...

Oregon (0), Baylor (0), Miami (0), Missouri (0), Texas Tech (0), Clemson (0), Oklahoma (0), Oklahoma State (0), Texas A&M (0), Louisville (0), Fresno State (0), Virginia Tech (0), Nebraska (0), Northern Illinois (0), Michigan (0), and Wisconsin (0).

Only Alabama has more than 1 (Virginia Tech, Texas A&M).

It's pretty crazy when you think about when Oregon jumped OSU. They jumped OSU in the meaningless AP poll after week 1 where Oregon beat FCS Nicholls State 66-3 and OSU beat FBS Buffalo 40-20. Sure, the Buffalo game wasn't great and a lot of that was thanks to the Ohio State OL playing their worst game of the last 2 seasons. That's a 50-something to 13 game if the OL plays the way it has for the other 18 games of this 19-game winning streak. And Buffalo's only losses this season have been to, using the coaches' poll since it actually matters, top 5 teams. They are currently on a 5-game winning streak.

Then after week 2, Oregon jumped OSU in the coaches' poll. OSU won their week 2 game 42-7 over SDSU, currently on a 3-game win streak of their own, and Oregon won in a tough, tough (/sarcasm) road game @ Virginia, who is currently on a 4-game losing streak and will probably be firing their HC after this season. Which is nice for OSU since Meyer and his staff can hopefully raid their class for 5* safety Quin Blanding. :gabe:

These are very interesting, and good points you bring up. I've thought from the beginning that Oregons hype was a little obnoxious and they really haven't deserved it. I think Florida State is the real deal though.

These are very interesting, and good points you bring up. I've thought from the beginning that Oregons hype was a little obnoxious and they really haven't deserved it. I think Florida State is the real deal though.

Remember a certain bowl game that Jimmy T was "out matched" "out gunned" against a Chip Kelly super genius offense...

Then TP went and beat them as well as hitting them in the mouth with a real defense...(this defense would get hung 40 on by Oregon easily, they dont have it.) However my point is I think the Oregon playstation offense is over hyped, and only liked by the media for the replays...

Remember a certain bowl game that Jimmy T was "out matched" "out gunned" against a Chip Kelly super genius offense...

Then TP went and beat them as well as hitting them in the mouth with a real defense...(this defense would get hung 40 on by Oregon easily, they dont have it.) However my point is I think the Oregon playstation offense is over hyped, and only liked by the media for the replays...

Yeah I agree. I think if we were to be matched up with Oregon, it'd be an exciting shoot-out that could go either way. If Oregon was to go on and play Alabama, I'm guessing it'd be somewhere in the 45-20 range Alabama. I think the country has swayed to pulling for a FSU/Bama title game. I could see FSU being similar to a Cooper team though and blowing it.

Just pointed that out to a friend last night. OSU faced a Chip Kelly Oregon offense in 2009 and held them to 260 yards and 17 points. Granted it's different players now but the system is the same. I tried to watch a good chunk of their game against Washington and may have mentioned it in here but they're pretty boring to watch. Which is crazy for a team who scores as much as they do. Stanford did a nice job against UCLA's offense which was averaging over 40ppg. Once again, they will likely have to be the team to take down Oregon.

Yeah I agree. I think if we were to be matched up with Oregon, it'd be an exciting shoot-out that could go either way. If Oregon was to go on and play Alabama, I'm guessing it'd be somewhere in the 45-20 range Alabama. I think the country has swayed to pulling for a FSU/Bama title game. I could see FSU being similar to a Cooper team though and blowing it.

If Texas A&M and drop 40+ on Bama's defense, I'm sure the ducks or the noles can put up a ton more points.

A&M's offense is pretty damn good. They just have no defense whatsoever.

Noles could probably score in a similar fashion. Ducks would put up a Rose Bowl vs. OSU-esque performance against Alabama.

The A&M offense consists of Johnny football running around like he is on speed in the backfield, then he looks to the heavens, chucks the ball in the air and has zues guide it into the 6'6" Evans hands...

That guy throws hail marys ever other pass play its hilarious.

ESPN's lead story on the NCAA Football Page...

"To Eat its own."

-The biggest threat to the SEC's BCS title streak might be the SEC. The league's downtrodden have risen up at the expense of expected contenders.

I figured this would happen. The lower level SEC teams beat some of the higher end teams, and instead of the higher end teams being looked at as weak, it just boosts the lower teams into looking like something special. When the exact same thing happens in the B1G, for example OSU not blowing out these teams, it's looked at as failure. So Georgia is still regarded as something decent? Lost to Clemson, who was exposed in dramatic fashion? South Carolina is still ranked after losing to Tennesse, who I may add was manhandled by Oregon 59-14. Where is the love for Wisconsin? They lost a game that should not have been against Arizona State, and a legitimate loss to us, a top 5 team..yet they are not even in the BCS top 25. What about Michigan State? Yes, their offense struggles, but they have one of the top defenses in the country, and are by no means an easy opponent.

I can very easily see us going against an 11-1 Michigan State team in the B1G championship game ranked 15th or 16th. The SEC is so lucky to have Alabama hold their standards, because other than them, I don't think anyone in the SEC is that great. I do think Mizzou is solid though. I think the SEC will be exposed in their bowl games this year.

The A&M offense consists of Johnny football running around like he is on speed in the backfield, then he looks to the heavens, chucks the ball in the air and has zues guide it into the 6'6" Evans hands...

That guy throws hail marys ever other pass play its hilarious.

They probably win against Auburn if he goes to Evans exclusively on that final drive. Dude is unstoppable at this level.

Also, Labhart emerging as something of a safety valve for Manziel has been neat. Kid is a walk-on. My A&M fan friend inexplicably hates him. How the fuck do you hate on a walk-on who has been playing like that kid has? A&M fans are the absolute worst.

ESPN's lead story on the NCAA Football Page...

"To Eat its own."

-The biggest threat to the SEC's BCS title streak might be the SEC. The league's downtrodden have risen up at the expense of expected contenders.

I figured this would happen. The lower level SEC teams beat some of the higher end teams, and instead of the higher end teams being looked at as weak, it just boosts the lower teams into looking like something special. When the exact same thing happens in the B1G, for example OSU not blowing out these teams, it's looked at as failure. So Georgia is still regarded as something decent? Lost to Clemson, who was exposed in dramatic fashion? South Carolina is still ranked after losing to Tennesse, who I may add was manhandled by Oregon 59-14. Where is the love for Wisconsin? They lost a game that should not have been against Arizona State, and a legitimate loss to us, a top 5 team..yet they are not even in the BCS top 25. What about Michigan State? Yes, their offense struggles, but they have one of the top defenses in the country, and are by no means an easy opponent.

I can very easily see us going against an 11-1 Michigan State team in the B1G championship game ranked 15th or 16th. The SEC is so lucky to have Alabama hold their standards, because other than them, I don't think anyone in the SEC is that great. I do think Mizzou is solid though. I think the SEC will be exposed in their bowl games this year.

Agreed completely.

Agreed completely.

+2. Eventhough IU did better than UF against Mizzou, they still still rate UF way higher in the rankings than IU. I personally think that the SEC is pretty overrated this year. Hypothetically speaking, lets say Alamaba loses to LSU and beats Mizzou in the SEC championship game. You think they will jump Oregon and Play FSU in the NC game if Oregon and FSU goes undefeated? I know they will Jump OSU.

+2. Eventhough IU did better than UF against Mizzou, they still still rate UF way higher in the rankings than IU. I personally think that the SEC is pretty overrated this year. Hypothetically speaking, lets say Alamaba loses to LSU and beats Mizzou in the SEC championship game. You think they will jump Oregon and Play FSU in the NC game if Oregon and FSU goes undefeated? I know they will Jump OSU.

I'm somewhat concerned about a one loss SEC team jumping an unbeaten OSU team to get in, but not overly concerned. I still like Ohio State's odds on getting in with our remaining schedule. I just see Oregon slipping up either this week against UCLA, next week against Stanford, or the last week against Oregon State who has a stud at QB. If OSU doesn't get in, I think it will be due to FSU and Bama both going unbeaten, but I still think the odds of more than two unbeaten teams at the end of the year is slim, and I like Ohio State's odds of getting in as long as they continue to take care of business (regardless of perception).

Miami's sanctions:

9 scholarships over 3 years (same as OSU) and no additional bowl ban (self-imposed post-season ban last 2 seasons).

Thanks, Gene Smith. I think this pretty much confirms that had OSU self-imposed a bowl ban during the 2011 season we would have had an OSU-ND national title game last season.

Miami's sanctions:

9 scholarships over 3 years (same as OSU) and no additional bowl ban (self-imposed post-season ban last 2 seasons).

Thanks, Gene Smith. I think this pretty much confirms that had OSU self-imposed a bowl ban during the 2011 season we would have had an OSU-ND national title game last season.

Fuck the NCAA and fuck Gene Smith. OSU wasn't being investigated for hosting hooker parties and paying players. Just some dumb kids accepting tattoos for memorabilia. Big difference there. Oh well, NCAA doing it's usual terrible job.

They still would have had a 2012 ban.