What's your take on this law?

noobiemcnooberson.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/22/-find-hidden-compartment-in-mans-car-but-no-drugs-or-illegal-items-so-why-was-he-arrested/

I couldn't easily link the local news story that mentions the officers smelled weed. I know what these cars are used for but I'm not familiar with the actual law but I would assume there is a lot of gray area that I don't like. Yes these cars are used for transporting drugs but what if you were a ccw holder that didn't feel like you could adequately secure your firearm if you knew you were going to a place you couldn't carry so you modify your vehicle to be able to secure your firearm and also not arouse suspicion so your vehicle isn't broken into? Would that be illegal? Without knowing the full details of the law I could see a lot of room for abuse of power due to vague wording.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/22/-find-hidden-compartment-in-mans-car-but-no-drugs-or-illegal-items-so-why-was-he-arrested/

I couldn't easily link the local news story that mentions the officers smelled weed. I know what these cars are used for but I'm not familiar with the actual law but I would assume there is a lot of gray area that I don't like. Yes these cars are used for transporting drugs but what if you were a ccw holder that didn't feel like you could adequately secure your firearm if you knew you were going to a place you couldn't carry so you modify your vehicle to be able to secure your firearm and also not arouse suspicion so your vehicle isn't broken into? Would that be illegal? Without knowing the full details of the law I could see a lot of room for abuse of power due to vague wording.

There isn't any vague wording. It says that it excludes any compartment for legal use such as storing electronics or firearms

It's bullshit.

It's analogous to being charged for owning a ski mask, only because some bank robbers wear them. The law is way too vague and there are legitimate purposes to having extra storage, even hidden compartments. Some people like to hide an extra set of keys, for example.

It's bullshit.

It's analogous to being charged for owning a ski mask, only because some bank robbers wear them. The law is way too vague and there are legitimate purposes to having extra storage, even hidden compartments. Some people like to hide an extra set of keys, for example.

+1. Nice loop hole to pull over anyone with a dangling wire, duz fasteners, or even the appearance of a body kit.

2923.241 Hidden compartments in vehicles.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

So the guy has been charged, but not convicted. The story says they found no evidence of drugs. Sounds like any decent lawyer should get him cleared, and it sounds like a BS use of the law.

The law itself sounds like its just another stupid charge to tack on when prosecuting drug runners.

(B) No person shall knowingly design, build, construct, or fabricate a vehicle with a hidden compartment, or modify or alter any portion of a vehicle in order to create or add a hidden compartment, with the intent to facilitate the unlawful concealment or transportation of a controlled substance.

(I) This section does not apply to a box, safe, container, or other item added to a vehicle for the purpose of securing valuables, electronics, or firearms provided that at the time of discovery the box, safe, container, or other item added to the vehicle does not contain a controlled substance or visible residue of a controlled substance.

So how do you prove "intent"? The only way the law works is by 1) prove the intention was to hide a controlled substance, 2) or that it was hiding a controlled substance (which is already illegal). Arresting on "intent" is basically charging someone for a crime before they commit it. That is what is vague about this law. It also, as written, only has the purpose of making something that is already illegal more illegal. A much better wording would be:

"Any person convicted of possessing a controlled substance, that attempted to hide the controlled substance in a hidden compartment, shall also be guilty of a misdemeanor(or felony if you want) of blah degree, blah, blah, etc..."

Also, "visible residue" has such a range for personal interpretation that officers are just going to take the shotgun approach and arrest anyone that has a hidden compartment. Which seems to be the case in the example in the OP link.

I didn't articulate myself properly. I don't like the intent section of the law. Like what was previously stated I could see tacking it onto a sentence but as a stand alone law I don't think it has much merit. I would feel bad for someone who bought a vehicle unknowingly with one of these compartments that had been used for it's intended purpose and later sold, catches a officer on a bad day while speeding and it goes down hill from there, someone that would have gotten a 150 ticket now has to fight a felony. Yes I know it's a unlikely set of circumstances but the law could use refinement in its wording.

You have way too much faith in the Police and "The Process"....

:dumb:

KillJoy

You have way too much faith in the Police and "The Process"....

:dumb:

KillJoy

By posting the actual law says this? LOL.

The law isn't vague at all. The issue is that the inclusion is subjective.

Is owning a ski mask intent to rob a bank?

Is owning a handgun intent to mug someone or commit murder?

Is taking a chemistry class intent to manufacture methamphetamine?

Is drinking at a bar intent to drive while intoxicated?

Many more examples can be shown. The bullshit part of the law is that it can be used to charge someone for a crime they haven't yet committed.

I would also argue that it is an unnecessary feel-good law that won't accomplish anything except inconveniencing law-abiding citizens. A criminal that is transporting a controlled substance isn't going give a shit that having a hidden compartment will add onto their jail time if caught.

ETA: Thought of another good one: Modifying a car registered for public road use is intent to street race.

Is it apparent what a bad precedent this law can set?

Well I'll be a son of a bitch, just as I was going to put a bunch of secret compartments in my vehicle.

The Vibe is chock full of them.

So the guy has been charged, but not convicted. The story says they found no evidence of drugs. Sounds like any decent lawyer should get him cleared, and it sounds like a BS use of the law.

The law itself sounds like its just another stupid charge to tack on when prosecuting drug runners.

This. The put it there so they can say, "Hey, we said that was illegal. Don't act surprised. Now, you get another charge." In the meantime, there will be some who use it outside its scope like many other bullshit laws.

The Vibe is chock full of them.

Chrysler vehicles have a ton of hidden compartments. A couple have compartments under the passenger seat bottom, the Journey has sealed compartments under the rear floor, and the entire floor of a Stow'N'Go minivan could be considered hidden. I wonder where they draw the line, and why the hell would you go to the trouble of rigging up the taillight to pop out when you use a secret code when you could just remove it with a screwdriver, hide your stash, and it doesn't look tampered with?

Chrysler vehicles have a ton of hidden compartments. A couple have compartments under the passenger seat bottom, the Journey has sealed compartments under the rear floor, and the entire floor of a Stow'N'Go minivan could be considered hidden. I wonder where they draw the line, and why the hell would you go to the trouble of rigging up the taillight to pop out when you use a secret code when you could just remove it with a screwdriver, hide your stash, and it doesn't look tampered with?

Factory compartments are explicitly excluded

So how do you prove "intent"? The only way the law works is by 1) prove the intention was to hide a controlled substance, 2) or that it was hiding a controlled substance (which is already illegal). Arresting on "intent" is basically charging someone for a crime before they commit it. That is what is vague about this law. It also, as written, only has the purpose of making something that is already illegal more illegal. A much better wording would be:

"Any person convicted of possessing a controlled substance, that attempted to hide the controlled substance in a hidden compartment, shall also be guilty of a misdemeanor(or felony if you want) of blah degree, blah, blah, etc..."

Also, "visible residue" has such a range for personal interpretation that officers are just going to take the shotgun approach and arrest anyone that has a hidden compartment. Which seems to be the case in the example in the OP link.

Sounds like a plot where a less than average height scientologist finds his way out of the toughest circumstances.

Wow this law is absolute BS. They are my cars, if I want to make secret compartments to hide milk in, that's my decision. I love the fact the government tries to control every single aspect of our lives. It's only going to get worse too.