College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot of people saying Roby is just giving up to protect his draft stock, I really hope that isn't the case. If he's a no go I look for Clemson to put up huge numbers (not that they wouldn't with him in there anyways).

Yeah, I feel like losing defensive guys isn't a huge issue because they can't get much worse. If offensive guys were dropping my view of the game would actually change.

Darron Lee's mom just tweeted that some OSU guys, including her son, have food poisoning now as well. :lolguy:

Clemson may score 100 on us.

That would suck... lol I am hoping the other way around. The defense with younger guys step up and hold Clemson under 10 points. All the upperclassmen from this year hasn't done shit all year. Maybe the younger LBs and DB's will step up and play. Grant Can't cover worth a damn. Great at stopping the run. They have plenty of talented backups. I am just surprised that with Mike Mitchell's speed, we didn't see him at all this year.(BTW I think he is going to be a bigger and faster version of James Laurinaitis) There is also Trey Johnson and Cameron Williams. Our safety's suck, Vonn Bell should have been seeing plenty of PT a long time ago.

Lot of people saying Roby is just giving up to protect his draft stock, I really hope that isn't the case. If he's a no go I look for Clemson to put up huge numbers (not that they wouldn't with him in there anyways).

Our saftey's are the problem. They will put up numbers with or without Roby if our saftey's don't step up and play.

Apparently he has always been super cautious about injuries even in hs

That would suck... lol I am hoping the other way around. The defense with younger guys step up and hold Clemson under 10 points. All the upperclassmen from this year hasn't done shit all year. Maybe the younger LBs and DB's will step up and play. Grant Can't cover worth a damn. Great at stopping the run. They have plenty of talented backups. I am just surprised that with Mike Mitchell's speed, we didn't see him at all this year.(BTW I think he is going to be a bigger and faster version of James Laurinaitis) There is also Trey Johnson and Cameron Williams. Our safety's suck, Vonn Bell should have been seeing plenty of PT a long time ago.

Cam Williams has been awful in the playing time he's received this year. Johnson got dinged up or something after seeing some time early. They shelved him thinking he could get a Devin Gardner special redshirt but apparently not.

I know around the Illinois game Meyer was openly admitting that he felt redshirting a guy like Mitchell and some others may have been a mistake. I don't know if Laurinaitis is a good comparison. He was so instinctual. Mitchell is an athletic freak but, at least coming in, wasn't really a linebacker yet. I think he'll be more comparable to Shazier. Guy I'm thinking could be the next Laurinaitis is McMillan. According to the recruiting services he's ready both physically and mentally. He's an early enrollee too. Will be on campus next week.

That will be interesting. Team is playing Friday night then Monday they'll have 6 or so new guys jumping right in for winter conditioning.

Darron Lee's mom just tweeted that some OSU guys, including her son, have food poisoning now as well. :lolguy:

Darron Lee's mom was wrong...

Jerry Emig ‏@BuckeyeNotes 3m

Food poisoning is not the issue with the Ohio State team. A flu bug has hit some admin staffers and some players but no starters involved.

Cam Williams has been awful in the playing time he's received this year. Johnson got dinged up or something after seeing some time early. They shelved him thinking he could get a Devin Gardner special redshirt but apparently not.

I know around the Illinois game Meyer was openly admitting that he felt redshirting a guy like Mitchell and some others may have been a mistake. I don't know if Laurinaitis is a good comparison. He was so instinctual. Mitchell is an athletic freak but, at least coming in, wasn't really a linebacker yet. I think he'll be more comparable to Shazier. Guy I'm thinking could be the next Laurinaitis is McMillan. According to the recruiting services he's ready both physically and mentally. He's an early enrollee too. Will be on campus next week.

Didn't think Cam Williams did that bad when he played in the Illinois game. He made mistakes, which was expect for a player with no extensive PT. Shazier is very instinctive as well, he is always their where the ball is, he can read the offense very well, only problem is still technique and miss tackles. I hope McMillan will pan out better than Curtis Grant. And another issue I want to bring it is that Cam Burrows did a fantastic job when he went played in the IU game. He covered receivers, broke up pass, and was always in the right coverage. I just don't see why Reeves is the 3rd CB on the team. The only thing he is really good at is chasing receivers rather than covering them. If Roby doesn't play, they should start Cam Burrows. People are saying that he is going to be the next Michael Jenins. I tend to agree.

Malcolm Jenkins?

Coming in most people felt Burrows was going to end up at safety but I agree... he looked really good against IU. They went right after him when Grant came out and he didn't give up a thing.

An interesting story about Reeves that I read this past week... he's supposedly AMAZING in practice. He just has bad nerves or something and plays like a complete turd when it counts. Maybe if Roby is out and Reeves has to really step up on a stage like the Orange Bowl then he'll break through the wall. Or just look like an even bigger turd and never see meaningful playing time ever again.

Malcolm Jenkins?

Coming in most people felt Burrows was going to end up at safety but I agree... he looked really good against IU. They went right after him when Grant came out and he didn't give up a thing.

An interesting story about Reeves that I read this past week... he's supposedly AMAZING in practice. He just has bad nerves or something and plays like a complete turd when it counts. Maybe if Roby is out and Reeves has to really step up on a stage like the Orange Bowl then he'll break through the wall. Or just look like an even bigger turd and never see meaningful playing time ever again.

yes, Jenkins, it was a bad typo. If reeves has stage fright during regular season games, I don't want to see how bad he gets in the Orange Bowl.

My top 5 Buckeyes:

5. Joey Galloway/Carlos Hyde (tie)

4. Teddy Ginn

3. Anthony Gonzalez

2. Terry Glenn

1. Antoine Winfield

I might revise this list as I think about it some more and maybe as other people reply and remind me of guys I might be missing at the moment.

1. Ted Ginn Jr

2. Eddie George

3. Malcolm Jenkins

4. Andy Katzenmoyer

5. Mike Nugent

Notables: Troy Smith, Beanie Wells, Lil Animal (I'm not butchering his last name haha), Winfield, Shawn Springs, Ahmed Plummer, Anthony Gonzalez, Nick Mangold, ah I could go on for a while

You start making a list and you suddenly remember how many great players you have watched play at Ohio State haha.

1. Ted Ginn Jr

2. Eddie George

3. Malcolm Jenkins

4. Andy Katzenmoyer

5. Mike Nugent

Notables: Troy Smith, Beanie Wells, Lil Animal (I'm not butchering his last name haha), Winfield, Shawn Springs, Ahmed Plummer, Anthony Gonzalez, Nick Mangold, ah I could go on for a while

You start making a list and you suddenly remember how many great players you have watched play at Ohio State haha.

yeah, lets try and name them all.

Dan Wilkinson, Mike Doss, Mike Vrabel, Michael Jenkins, Orlando Pace, LeCharles Bentley, Brian Hartline, Chimdi Chekwa, Will Smith, etc.. okay I give up

My top 5 (that hasn't been in anyone's top 5)

1. Troy Smith

2. Chris Gamble

3. AJ Hawk

4. Cameron Heyward

5. David Boston

PS - Yenner, cool article; thanks for posting that.

No prob. I've been saying that for years, and my buddies (who are PSU, TTUN, Bama, Auburn, Florida, Cincy fans and such) weren't as happy as I was to read it. :)

Since everyone else is:

1) Troy Smith (the #1/#2 TTUN game sealed it for me)

2) AJ Hawk

3) Eddie George

4) Anthony Gonzales

5) Carlos Hyde

No prob. I've been saying that for years, and my buddies (who are PSU, TTUN, Bama, Auburn, Florida, Cincy fans and such) weren't as happy as I was to read it. :)

I've been saying the same thing, too. If Ohio State would have won half of the "big" games they lost, I guarantee you that they'd be a unanimous decision for best team of the BCS era.

Think if they would have split the NC's with Florida and LSU.

Think if they would have beat USC at least once in their home-and-home series.

Think if they would have gone 2 for 3 against Texas as opposed to 1 and 3.

There was a string of terrible luck for Ohio State that sullied their image: being so highly thought of in 2006 only to get straight smoked by Florida, then the loss to LSU on the NC stage, then getting waxed by USC, then losing to Texas in the bowl game. Those are four huge games on huge stages. That stretch really hurt their image.

There was a string of terrible luck for Ohio State that sullied their image: being so highly thought of in 2006 only to get straight smoked by Florida, then the loss to LSU on the NC stage, then getting waxed by USC, then losing to Texas in the bowl game. Those are four huge games on huge stages. That stretch really hurt their image.

I was at that Texas Fiesta Bowl game, and IMO that was more embarrassing than the LSU loss. We had the victory, then some bonehead called the absolute worst defensive play I've ever seen when Cosby scored. 20-some seconds left knowing they needed a touchdown and you leave a huge fucking hole in the middle of the field in an obvious passing formation? Wat. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Prevent D!

Anyway, I was sad to see Mack Brown go out with a loss last night, especially after the Ducks made comments earlier this year about going to the NCG or not giving a shit.