College Football Thread v4.0

bicranium

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saban's wife seems unhappy with Alabama/the fan base there. And when momma's unhappy, nobody's happy. (Side bar: I think momma's the reason why Urban left Florida/coaching for a year.)

Sure, Alabama can throw a boatload of money at Saban too. But here's what Texas has over Alabama:

- you don't have to play in the SEC West at Texas

- doesn't Texas not have state tax or something? So, Saban gets to keep more of his money

- you don't have the extreme pressure to win at Texas like you do at Alabama

- Austin is a better place to live than Tuscaloosa

- you have a whole lot more and better recruits in your backyard at Texas, and you basically have your pick of the litter

Saban's wife seems unhappy with Alabama/the fan base there. And when momma's unhappy, nobody's happy. (Side bar: I think momma's the reason why Urban left Florida/coaching for a year.)

Sure, Alabama can throw a boatload of money at Saban too. But here's what Texas has over Alabama:

- doesn't Texas not have state tax or something? So, Saban gets to keep more of his money

- you have a whole lot more and better recruits in your backyard at Texas, and you basically have your pick of the litter

I agree with everything but the bolded. I believe the pressure to win at Texas is a lot bigger than that of Bama. Before Saban, Bama sucked for the most part. I believe the pressure of winning after Saban (Bama's next coach) will be bigger than it was before he got there.

I agree with everything but the bolded. I believe the pressure to win at Texas is a lot bigger than that of Bama. Before Saban, Bama sucked for the most part. I believe the pressure of winning after Saban (Bama's next coach) will be bigger than it was before he got there.

Nope, Texas is fine with mediocre whereas Bama has never been. Texas wasn't relevant for years between Royal and Mack, and they've had several very mediocre years under Mack. Hell, there is more pressure to win at several schools in the SEC than there is at Texas. Chizik won a fucking national championship like three years ago at Auburn and got the axe.

I agree, I think in order to get Nick Saban, you have to convince Terry Saban. I read some where she is a pretty large part of Nick's decision when it comes to coaching. If you don't court Miss Terry, you are not getting Nick Saban. Austin is just a much better city to live and have soo much more to offer than the craphole podunk town of Tuscaloosa.

Nope, Texas is fine with mediocre whereas Bama has never been. Texas wasn't relevant for years between Royal and Mack, and they've had several very mediocre years under Mack. Hell, there is more pressure to win at several schools in the SEC than there is at Texas. Chizik won a fucking national championship like three years ago at Auburn and got the axe.

To be fair, there were other issues at Auburn.

This! The Cam Newton scandal didn't help there, not to mention going 3-9 in his final year there. As for being mediocre, Bama has had their fair share of it before Saban arrived

93: 1-12

94: 12-1

95: 8-3

96: 10-3

97: 4-7

98: 7-5

99: 10-3

00: 3-8

01: 7-5

02: 10-3

03: 4-9

04: 6-6

05: 10-2

06: 6-7

07: 7-6

08: Saban arrives and goes 12-2

93: 5-5-1

94: 8-4

95: 10-2-1

96: 8-5

97: 4-7

98: Mack Arrives goes 9-3

99: 9-5

00: 9-3

01: 11-2

02: 11-2

03: 10-3

04: 11-1

05: 13-0

06: 10-3

07: 10-3

08: 12-1

09: 13-1

10: This is where Macks troubles start 5-7

11: 8-5

12: 9-4

13: 8-4 currently about to face Oregon

I would say that he's been pretty decent while at Texas and the fact that his teams did so well in the mid 2000's is what has lead to the pressure of him needing to duplicate that now.

Interesting article...

http://riverfrontball.com/2013/12/09/notre-dame-refuses-play-cincinnati-bearcats-bowl/

I definitely agree with the sentiment. I know for sure once we lost to UL, and our options were pinstripe or Belk... if we got Virginia Tech, I would like the Belk Bowl well enough, otherwise I REALLY wanted to take down Notre Dame at the Pinstripe Bowl.... BADLY.... I want the Bearcats to have a chance to fist fuck ND...

Saban brought that pressure to Alabama. They had been mediocre for so long and they thought he was their savior. And he basically has been. Texas hasn't been mediocre for very long.

Recruiting note...

5-star LB Raekwon McMillan announces on Monday. Urban, Fickell, Withers and Vrabel will be having their in-home visit with him on Sunday.

LOL at you guys calling Alabama "mediocre." They have more NC's than any other major program and almost twice as many NC's as Ohio State. Clearly they are the definition of mediocre.

The pressure on Saban to win at Alabama is about four times as much as what it ever will be at Texas.

LOL at you guys calling Alabama "mediocre." They have more NC's than any other major program and almost twice as many NC's as Ohio State. Clearly they are the definition of mediocre.

Within a certain time frame they were absolutely mediocre.

The period between Bear Bryant's retirement and Nick Saban's first season (25 years - 1982-2007) they had only 8 10-win seasons with just 1 national title and 3 conference titles.

Since Saban has been hired Alabama's only season without 10 or more wins was his first. He has 6 10-win seasons in 7 years to go with 3 national titles and 2 conference titles. So he's 2 10-win seasons and 1 conference title short of matching the 25 year period between Bear Bryant and himself but maybe having 3 times as many national titles as that span makes up for his shortcomings... :lolguy: