Porsche Peeps: 996TT Questions

Dr. Pomade

I'm thinking of getting a 996TT. My goals are, I think, fairly modest: I'd like the car to make in the area of 550 awhp, but retain streetability. Something that is respectability quick on the street, but not going to fume out my wife when I'm taking her to dinner. Am I able to accomplish that with minimal modifications?

This will be mostly a street car. Meaning, I don't see myself tracking it all that often. If I do, then it will be few and far between. Rather, this is just going to be a fun weekend/summer car.

In doing research, I see that there's an x50 upgrade package for the 996TT. Is it worth it to pursue cars with this upgrade, or would it be easier/cheaper to just upgrade everything on a standard 996TT?

Also, in doing research, I came across some interesting discussion on a forum (rennlist, I believe), in which some of the members were advocating for purchasing a 996TT with moderate (or more) miles than one with few (or less) miles. The reasoning (if I understood them correctly) is that the cars with few miles on them haven't had a chance to "fail," whereas the others with more miles - like 30k to 50k - have had that opportunity. So, they say, if you aren't a car collector, then the prudent move is to go with the engine that has proven reliability. I like that reasoning, insofar as it translates into money saved for me.

So, do I care how many miles the car has? My understanding that the platform is great and generally reliable, but that's about the extent of my understanding.

I'm not opposed to 997TT. I just figured it will be a whole lot easier/cheaper to get into a 996TT. I'm not concerned about bells and whistles (e.g., navigation, back up cameras, etc.) on this car. Because racecar. However, if there's a compelling reason why I should be looking at the 997TT (e.g., major engine advances, significant performance upgrades), then let me know.

Lastly, please let me know if you come across any white 996 TT coupes. I've been searching for the past few days and have come across like one for sale. However, I usually suck at finding things on the internet and I'm always impressed at how good you guys are at finding relevant cars in the far reaches of the interwebz. So, if you find one, then let me know.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was considering going 911 Turbo I did a *fair* bit of research.

My understanding is that the X50 package gives you the GT2 Turbos/ Intercoolers and I *think* upgraded transmission/clutch to handle the power. Easier to reach certain goals as with just tuning, you are where you would need turbo's to reach with non X50 obviously. Another option is the 996 Turbo "S" which I believe gets all the X50 stuff as well.

500-550 @ the tire and more torque should be doable on the stock X50 (k16) Turbo's. (Might want to research clutch durability though).

The 996 Turbo and 997.1 Turbo engine are still the legendary metzger engine which disappeared with the 997.2 Turbo. Seems to be a pretty huge price gap and the 996 will be much easier on the budget.

I'll let a true Porsche guru chime in, but I'd get either an X50 or Turbo S or a car that has already been modified with larger turbo's (like that white one you posted before).

Buy x50. K24 turbos will support the power you want and they are already in place so no need for turbo swap. Or find a car with turbo swap already. Stock k16's are good for around 500 crank before they are out of efficiency range so they won't cut it for criteria. K16g and 16/24 hybrids are common swaps and will also support the power you want. But why re-invent the wheel. X50 will have better resale too.

Turbo S is x50 plus ceramics. All '05's are turbo s. Ceramic rotors are 2k each if they ever need replaced

Metzger block is rock solid. Already told you about the coolant fittings in PM

997 only if you want gadgets and nicer interior. Interior is much better though. PDK transmission in 997 if you want to pretend its a Nissan video game car :D

White is impossible to find.

I'll let a true Porsche guru chime in, but I'd get either an X50 or Turbo S or a car that has already been modified with larger turbo's (like that white one you posted before).

Unfortunately, the white one I posted wasn't for sale; it was just a picture of a white 996. Rather, I posted up a silver 996TT, which had all the upgrades. The silver is my second choice, but still pretty far behind white.

997 only if you want gadgets and nicer interior. Interior is much better though. PDK transmission in 997 if you want to pretend its a Nissan video game car :D

White is impossible to find.

I knew you'd chime in. :) (But what's up with the thumb down on the post?)

Yeah, I'm manual all the way; no PDK.

And the lack of white is making me want to shoot myself in the face.

Go drive one, right away... Dat sound!

I really don't know much about the 996 model other than people usually say the interior is pretty cheap compared to other models. But with that said, people still by Corvettes so it can't be that bad lol.

Go drive one, right away... Dat sound!

I really don't know much about the 996 model other than people usually say the interior is pretty cheap compared to other models. But with that said, people still by Corvettes so it can't be that bad lol.

I think I'm a terrible appraiser of interiors. I was perfectly fine with the interior on my C5Z and my Cobra, LOL. So, I guess this bodes well for my interest in the 996?

Alex L. posted this exact thing in another thread recently. It rekindled my interest in Porsches.

Before I bought the S5, I was seriously considering a 997TT. I ultimately decided against it because I went in the daily driver direction. Looking back, I kind of regret it. The difference now is that this Porsche won't be daily driven, so I won't really care about missing any of the creature comforts.

But where will you carry your golf clubs? Seriously, I looked at them and have no idea where they would go.

Sick cars otherwise; good luck finding a white one! A quick internet search showed none for sale.

-Marc

But where will you carry your golf clubs? Seriously, I looked at them and have no idea where they would go.

Sick cars otherwise; good luck finding a white one! A quick internet search showed none for sale.

-Marc

In the passenger seat.

I almost bought one in 2009. Drove the x50 and I drove a standard turbo. The x50 is a riot. Loved how they drove everything about them. The interior is garbage. It's so dated now. Given the choice on interior and looks alone I would go 997tt any day and twice on Sunday over the 996tt.

If you don't mind the egg headlights and crappy interior the 996 is a great buy right now. They are almost at rock bottom prices so they will start to rise in value down the road.

My 996tt story is kind of funny. Test drove three. Fell in love with a blue with tan interior and champion motorsports wheels. Was doing paperwork in the office on it when I saw a new H2 on the lot. Having never driven one before I decided to test drive it. After driving it I drove it back to dealership cancelled my porsche deal and drove home the H2 :lol:

I regret that decision everyday :(

One of Porsche's original design criteria was to be able to fit a set of clubs in the car. Most people can fit theirs in the front boot but they have to put the woods in the interior (they made the boot smaller when impact ratings changed in the US).

The front boot has an amazing amount of storage.

Mileage...I'd try to stick to one with around 50k miles or less. Cars that aren't driven enough tend to leak from the front and rear main seals. PPI is your friend no matter what when buying. Front main seal is easy to do...did mine last year. Rear main sucks.

I don't personally like drop top's....but it's white and with those K24 / 18G turbo's and supporting mods it already makes the power you are after and maybe more.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/automobiles-sale/330069-porsche-996-turbo-cabriolet-white-28k-mls-few-upgrades.html

I have been debating a 996TT/997TT or a GTR since I left. I still am leaning towards a GTR with a AMS Alpha9 package.

I've debated both as well. (Specifically, about two years ago.) For me, this is how it shook out:

- the GTR > Porsche when it comes to brute performance, especially when you consider bang for buck

- the Porsche > GTR when it comes to aesthetics

IMHO, the GTR is not an amazing looking car. Quite frankly, if I didn't produce godzillion tons of HP, etc., I'd think it would look kind of silly. It's big, it's bulky, the lines don't flow well for me, and there aren't many angles of it that look good to me. Of course, the only angle you usually see of them is from the rear from a distance, so that helps to compensate for the lack of aesthetics to a certain extent.

I can see myself taking the wife out to dinner in a Porsche. I can't see taking her out to dinner in a GTR. I get there is a lot more to a car than where you can valet it and how your wife looks in it. But, to me, that example helps to illustrate the subtle, but perhaps important, differences I see in the two. One is more glamorous and classy, the other is more brute strength and parking lot domination.

Picking a 997TT over a GTR or a vice versa is a great dilemma to have. It's like deciding on having sex with two supermodels or three supermodels.

the Porsche > GTR when it comes to aesthetics

IMHO, the GTR is not an amazing looking car. Quite frankly, if I didn't produce godzillion tons of HP, etc., I'd think it would look kind of silly. It's big, it's bulky, the lines don't flow well for me, and there aren't many angles of it that look good to me. Of course, the only angle you usually see of them is from the rear from a distance, so that helps to compensate for the lack of aesthetics to a certain extent.

I can see myself taking the wife out to dinner in a Porsche. I can't see taking her out to dinner in a GTR.

Oh shit...

L@@K, It's Jones, reading this thread:

http://i.imgur.com/VOga1.gif