Porsche Peeps: 996TT Questions

Dr. Pomade

Since when do the Metzger motors (in the 996 Turbo & 997.1 Turbo) have IMS failure?

Well I guess we should lower my expectations then. All I own are 10 year old plus cars and trucks. Please keep in perspective that these failures that I have talked about in these cars just simply shouldn't happen period. I certainly didn't get into the variocam and fuel pump line issues. Don't worry I will fix it if it gives me issues. I remember this same discussion I had about 14 years ago on the rx7 forum, and if memory serves correct, those folks praised their beloved 13b for its power and reliability. We all know how that one turned out. Hopefully the mezger engine lasts, but if it doesn't it will be a V8 VW, as I like to build if once and drive it hard.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I guess we should lower my expectations then. All I own are 10 year old plus cars and trucks. Please keep in perspective that these failures that I have talked about in these cars just simply shouldn't happen period. I certainly didn't get into the variocam and fuel pump line issues. Don't worry I will fix it if it gives me issues. I remember this same discussion I had about 14 years ago on the rx7 forum, and if memory serves correct, those folks praised their beloved 13b for its power and reliability. We all know how that one turned out. Hopefully the mezger engine lasts, but if it doesn't it will be a V8 VW, as I like to build if once and drive it hard.

Shouldn't happen period? Lel.

You're the type of customer a dealership can't stand because you think any kind of part failure is unacceptable. Nothing and no one is perfect in this world. If you think you can design a part better than Porsches' engineers, with zero failure rate, be our guest. I'm sure everyone would be ecstatic to buy a car they never have to maintain or put money into for preventative maintenance.

Your level of hate is usually associated with someone who works on them daily.

Ha...Chris is a good dude, and dare I say the type that will engineer something to work better than any factory because he likes to do things the right way. He is, after all, the one who designed and pioneered the first LS swap into an FD and later sold his kit to one of the companies who now sells it as their own.

Like I said...the Press fit / epoxy coolant fittings are a major burn. I was livid when I was fixing mine. More outrageous is that with even more and more reported failures Porsche will not do anything about it even after a TSA investigation. Basically the cars are old enough they aren't going to address it at this point. They claim they changed the design in 2010...most believe it's just that the 2010's aren't old enough to have the epoxy failure yet.

More obvious was the plastic coolant tubes used on the Cayenne. That was simply put a means to trying to lower production costs that came back to bite them in the end but only in reputation because they rarely ever fail under warranty when Porsche would have to fix them on their dime.

IMS is a tough one. on the M96 cars the shaft itself doesn't fail it's the bearing that holds it in place. I don't know how you control bearing failure. Most M96 owners know it's preventative maintenance at this point to upgrade that bearing for peace of mind at around 50-60k miles. The guy who bought my old red car did it right after he purchased it and said the factory bearing showed little to no signs of wear. IMS on the Turbo is because the timing gear isn't fused to the shaft. It's held in place with a key. I don't have enough background to say that's a poor design or not. The IMS in the standard 996 /997 cars is the same way. The GT3 has the same IMS as the cup car, which is a fused, true single piece shaft because the cup car is designed to turn 8800rpm, dare I say that part is over-engineered for the street GT3 that only turns 8200rpm. For the turbo only turning 6500 rpm maybe the 2 piece shaft wasn't thought to be an issue though in some cases it has shown to be an issue.

Breaking timing chains you can't control....too many variables and not enough proven failures reported, lifter failures one could question oil change frequency, driving behavior at less or more than optimal oil temps, etc.

The Blessing and curse of the Porsche community is that via the PCA drivers education program ALOT of these cars actually get driven hard on a regular basis on the track. It sorts out anything and everything that will fail over time.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=138144014&listingRecNum=14&criteria=feedSegId%3D28705%26rpp%3D50%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26kw%3Dgt2%26requestorTrackingInfo%3DRTB_SEARCH%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26stkTypId%3D28881%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26rn%3D0%26zc%3D98466%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-kw%26kwm%3DANY%26mdId%3D20567%26stkTyp%3DU%26mkId%3D20081%26sf1Dir%3DDESC&aff=national&listType=3

By all accounts a nice car. I don't have any spare time from work right now and refuse to buy a car without seeing it in person work and I couldn't make the logistics happen so I quit pursuing it.

High miles for a GT2 which will hurt it's collectability value a little...which I feel is already reflected in the price most are around 75k.

Pro's of GT2 - Collectability and bottom of the market. Good chance 3-5 years from now it's worth exactly what you pay for it today or maybe even more as long as mileage doesn't change drastically.

Cons - Well everything that makes it a special edition car makes it a bad street vehicle. No sunroof, not AWD, light weight by means of lack of sound insulation and lack of undercoating. Full coilover suspension from the factory, monoball mounts for the suspension, fully adjustable sway bars, lack of door speakers for the stereo to save weight and probably the worst factory radio you've ever heard. I put the factory radio delete in my car the radio was soo useless. Not why I bought it though.