s10 help loss of power

motozachl

2000 s10 4.3L auto. Had cruise control on going up a long incline. Drops gear for more power to about 3k rpm. A few seconds later it drops again but redlines like 5.5k rpm. Immediately turn off cruise and now it has sever loss in power. Basically had to floor it the rest way home (20 min highway). While stopped it barely runs, bounces off idle and dies. Feels like its only running on 3 of the 6 cylinders.

What do I check?

Common things are arcing in the distributor cap, which is very likely, and fuel issues with the pump or spider injection. Could be a few things, not sure you're going to have a lot of luck diagnosing it over the internet.

my interwebs to do list thus far:

check fuel pressure - maybe fuel pump

clogged/open egr

clogged cat

tps sensor

Doesn't seem to me arching. Had bad boots before and that's more random and can see sparks. Also there was an odd smell when driving, not sure that helps

my interwebs to do list thus far:

check fuel pressure - maybe fuel pump

clogged/open egr

clogged cat

tps sensor

Doesn't seem to me arching. Had bad boots before and that's more random and can see sparks. Also there was an odd smell when driving, not sure that helps

Are there cylinders misfiring? I said arcing inside the cap, you're not going to see it. A cat doesn't just clog randomly, forget that. An EGR wouldn't be as bad off idle, maybe but doubtful. Does it have codes in it?

And if the fuel pump was going out it wouldn't have enough fuel pressure to open the poppets in the spider injection and it wouldn't run at all, unless its had them replaced with the updated injectors. I doubt its a fuel pump, but maybe.

Are there cylinders misfiring? I said arcing inside the cap, you're not going to see it. A cat doesn't just clog randomly, forget that. An EGR wouldn't be as bad off idle, maybe but doubtful. Does it have codes in it?

Haven't checked yet but I guarantee there's codes since the cel is always on for fuel tank pressure. Doesn't feel like a misfire studder. The rpm was bouncing on a VERY low idle compared to normal say 200 rpm where as its normally 800

And if the fuel pump was going out it wouldn't have enough fuel pressure to open the poppets in the spider injection and it wouldn't run at all, unless its had them replaced with the updated injectors. I doubt its a fuel pump, but maybe.

Ok, going to rule it out later anyways on safe side.

I can't check till after work today but keep the suggestions coming, greatly appreciated. Remember the truck ran fine until the max rpm hit for a second or two. Also it was normal operating temp on the gauge, but the truck DID feel a little hotter than usual.

You guys are awesome.

Update:

Check fuel pressure. Was good

Cleaned maf. Was good

Cleaned distributor cap. Was good

EGR valve check. Was good

Took off complete exhaust except headers. Was good

Finally able to check code. Misfire cyl 3. Hmmm

Swapped plugs. Still same code.

Compression test. Failed. ZERO COMPRESSION

Look at coolant. Brown. Crap.

BLOWN HEAD GASKET FOR CYLINDER #3

Damn. Anyone want to do this on the cheap? I don't have the time to mess with this. Willing to just sell the truck as well....

I'd run a leakdown and see if you get air in the coolant, nasty brown coolant in dexcool vehicle doesn't really mean the head gasket blew. What did that spark plug look like in 3? Not saying you're wrong I'd just like to be sure its a head gasket.

So how cheap are you going to sell a high mileage 15 year old truck? Interested in giving me the truck and cash for my 97 s10 4 cylinder? Mine has already had the head redone, runs good.

So how cheap are you going to sell a high mileage 15 year old truck? Interested in giving me the truck and cash for my 97 s10 4 cylinder? Mine has already had the head redone, runs good.

Thats honestly probably not a bad trade for him!!

Would also like to point out that post #2 in this thread found the problem :D