Tire patching?

Harb67

I just can't catch a damn break :mad: Last weekend I get in a wreck, which was admittedly my own fault and I take full blame for the stupidity, but I've got a damn nail or something in my tire! Coshocton just doesn't like me I guess...

Is there anything I can do about this tire other than getting a new one? I've only got about a thousand miles on it and I really can't afford to get a new one right now. The nail/wire/whatever that is stuck in there is really small (see pic below). I know plugging motorcycle tires is general frowned upon, but can it be taken off the rim and patched from the inside? If this is possible, can anyone refer me to any shops? I am considering calling Chris Calovini, he mounted my tires at a really good price and did a great job (woot no-mar!) but I'm not sure if he does tire repair.

nailintire.jpg

The Concensus that I have gotten from every professional and every rider....Whom I have ever asked this question to....Is to REPLACE IT.

The cost of replacing is far less than the consequences a failed tire could have.

I call it cheap life insurance.

...and peace of mind.

its not likely that you'll get anyone to repair it for you. You'll probably have to do it yourself if its going to be done. Just another word of caution: there is a reason no one will do it for you, so take that into consideration if you're going to repair it. You might be able to get a shop to unmount then remount later, after you repair it yourself. To save a trip and $$$, you can probably unmount the tire yourself. Just do a search for DIY tire mounting, etc...

With that said, I've plugged a tire before with success

Also....With what I said...I too have plugged tires before with success.

A couple of my buddies bought new tires and got something in them within a couple hundred miles....both plugged them....and both have ridden them well over 130MPH....but damn we get a bit shaky when they do it.

Its just simply cheaper and safer in the long run to replace the tire.

And hell....with 1000 miles...my tires would be half worn anyway....How is your wear?

Replace it. The only patch that would work for a limited length of time, would be a full patch from the inside. And any patch on a motorcycle tire is an emergency thing, just to get home and replace it.

Having said that, seems I remember finding a nail in Spz9's rear tire, and she rode it through Coshocton anyway. But that one wasn't leaking air at all. And it took her forever to replace the tire.

Maybe you should get those tires that wear out in one year anyway, like mine, ha.

Replace it. The only patch that would work for a limited length of time, would be a full patch from the inside.

I worked for discount tire for years and a plug AND patch from the inside is the best and safest way...but on a bike? eh...I think I would bite the bullet and buy a new one too.

Man, you really can't catch a break, huh?! I think you should stick to Hocking twisties...better luck down there. It just seems like Coshocton hates you! haha

i used filler shit last season when I couldn't afford to replace my rear. I think I hit like glass or something because there was a tiny tear in the rear. The stuff was actually made for bicycles and was recommended to me by tomcat (chris). It honestly worked well for the rest of last season even though I checked the tire pressure daily since I was nervous.

it's honestly something that no one wants to do (plug tire) but if you really can't afford $ for new rear, might make for a temp fix until you can afford new rubber

i would patch it with one of these harb.

topairtools_141154.jpg

its a pull through plug/patch. better than trying to put a plug in it and then trying to patch over that plug. if you decide to get a new tire but want to keep the old one for a backup, i could patch it for you at the tire shop i used to work at. i patched one for ron a couple days ago and we're about to put it on his bike tonight.

edit:this is ross again, i thought i was logged in but ron is

i would patch it with one of these harb.

topairtools_141154.jpg

Thats the Plug'n'Patch that was mentioned right above...and they are great....but I am stil not keen on patching a Cycle tire.

I have used and installed many a Plug'n'Patch in my day....and when put in right, they hold up great....but with that said....thats alway been in a car/automotive tire.

I am sure it would hold up just fine...but there is always that slight chance.

^^ Yes, what Ross said... err... what Ross as Ron said... *confused*

It would work, yes, and if anything, it would fail faster than on a car tire.

It's not like plugs and patches don't fail, they fail often.

At least for me they do.

You'd just have to keep an eye on it.

Check tire pressure often.

Edited by ReconRat

Well fuck, looks like I'm off the road for a while because I can't afford the ~170$ it'll cost to pick up a new tire, at least for a few more paychecks (read: at least 4 weeks probably)

So there's seriously no way to get a reliable patch put inside? I wouldn't mind at all if I had to pull the rim, unmount the tire, and then pay to have a patch put in and the tire remounted.

And hell....with 1000 miles...my tires would be half worn anyway....How is your wear?

Wear is fine. My bike barely puts down 64 horses so my tires tend to last a good deal longer than 600 and 1000cc supersports. I would normally expect to get at least 4k or more out of these tires before needing to replace them. I sort of expected to have to get new rubber mid-season, but getting a new rear one month into springtime wasn't something I factored into my plans :(

Edited by Harb67

Thats the Plug'n'Patch that was mentioned right above...and they are great....but I am stil not keen on patching a Cycle tire.

I have used and installed many a Plug'n'Patch in my day....and when put in right, they hold up great....but with that said....thats alway been in a car/automotive tire.

I am sure it would hold up just fine...but there is always that slight chance.

yea i'm not real into running a patched tire but sometimes you just can't break down and buy a new tire when the leaking one still has as much tread as harbs does. the one i patched for ron was ground down on the indside, glued, plug/patched, and security coated so i wouldn't hesitate at all to run it on my own bike.

Actually now that I think about it, if I really had to I could just put my old rear back on my bike. I absolutely loathe that piece of garbage because it's about as useful in the twisties as a Hoverround with dead batteries, but it would at least let me commute around town and on the freeway.

Ross, how much would a patch job like the one you did cost? I'm not ruling something like that out. I'm perfectly fine with checking tire pressure constantly; it's something I do regularly anyway because I want to get as much life out of these things as I can. Once summer rolls around I'll have plenty of cash to throw around, but my income is really limited during the school year. If I ran a patched tire, I'd certainly replace it as soon as I hate the spare funds. The great feel of really fresh tires alone is enough to convince me to replace it when the right time rolled around :D

Edited by Harb67

Hell, go ahead and patch it, at least it's a spare after you replace it with a new one. You never know, you might need another one this year.

I kinda miss tube tires, they were a lot easier to patch up. But I never patched the tube, I replaced the tube. ...Wait, at least one of my bikes has tube tires...

If you're going to patch and plug the tire...you should throw in some tire sealer...

582598.jpg

...I've used Stan's No Tubes before by itself when I got a staple in my rear tire and it worked just fine for the life of the tire. Not going to lie...I was nervous as shit running around with a hole in my tire, but none the less I still RAN around. :D

...on the other hand, when I got a screw in a different rear tire...I tried to plug and patch it, but was unsuccessful (wouldn't hold air) and had to get a different tire put on. So maybe if you use a combination of the 3 (patch, plug and sealer) you'll have more success. I don't know what to tell you...shit sucks! She (your motorcycle) likes to pick you up and slam you down like most (fill in the blank)...but look on the bright side, you can rail on her whenever you can afford it. :broke: Ahhh shit, that sucks too. I'm sure Parks, Ron or Ross will let you sleep with one of their sheep for free. :sheepfucker:

:woo:

Talked to my tire guy; gunna get it patched Wednesday I think. I'll pick up a new tire as soon as my funds allow, but for now I can't afford to be without my bike so I'll ride with a patch and be an air pressure nazi for the time being. Probably not going to do any really hard riding on it (hell, at this rate my bike would blow up anyway if I visited that cursed city again anyway) but it's going to be enough to get me around town and back home for Mother's day etc etc so I'm happy :)