College Football Thread v8.0

bicranium

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great video. No doubt both teams are fantastic. One clip shows a huge hit behind the line by a bama defender. However, I will NEVER forget Auburn running that short field goal attempt last season.

Watching that hype video, can't help to think what C. Jones has going through his head. He had HUGE pressure for the B1G championship game....They went 59-0, NOW?! geez Everyone knows he and the team are capable of it. 2nd start. wow.

I agree that the coverage of the Rose Bowl, in comparison to the Sugar bowl, seems weighted more towards the latter match-up. That said I understand completely why that is. The Sugar bowl is a game featuring two traditional powerhouses in the CFB landscape, both with their own history of multiple national championships, a nationally recognized heated rivalry, and even a storied coach of old that lives on through the football program like The Ghost Of Football Past.

Beyond the simple branding, and rich histories, you have two current head coaches recognized regularly as the best in the game. Clearly Saban gets the nod in this regard, because of the rings, but it's not by much. Not only are they the best, they have a history of having to go through each other to get the rings they have. Hell, even Kiffin and Meyer, had a bit of a tiff back in the day, though supposedly that's squashed(doubt it). Last, and certainly not least there is the simple fact that ES(EC)PN is the sports coverage juggernaut, they have a vested interest in the SEC, so you get mo-bama.

I mean zero disrespect towards FSU, and Oregon, and I can't wait to watch them play, but the closest they get "storyline" wise is the tale of "The Nice Heisman Winner Vs. The Current Most Hated Heisman Winner(not including OJ)". While Florida State has a history of championships, there just isn't the same ... feels, I suppose.

The powerhouses of Rutgers and penn St carrying the B1G through bowl season with their mighty victories. I'll laugh if they are the only B1G teams to win a bowl game :lol:

I really only care if the B1G wins one bowl game, shortly followed by another.

Obviously I mean Wisconsin vs Auburn, then Michigan State vs Bayor a half hour later.

Well, now I'm having dreams about this game. And they aren't good ones. Here are some highlights:

- it started out well. Ohio State drove down the field on Alabama on some nice running plays and scored a TD. Yay, everyone is super happy in my dream!

- I go to the bathroom, come back, scored is tied 7-7. WTF? I ask someone - I think I'm watching the game in an airport (what the hell?) and Sims threw a bomb to Cooper. Boo!

- things then go from bad to worse. Ohio State starts getting mangled at the line of scrimmage. Alabama's defensive line is just running through Ohio State's o-line.

- in response to our porous lines, we start running jump passes. Yes, I just typed that - jump passes. Like jump passes on our own 27 yard line. Jump passes on the side lines. Jump passes everywhere. I try to scream, but it's a dream so you know how that goes.

- somehow we lost a point to go back to 6, then got a safety somehow to make it to 8. Bama was scoring at will. I think when I was finally able to pull the rip cord and get the fuck out of that dream, Ohio State was losing by like 3 TDs.

I had a dream last night that I couldn't watch the first half of the game and I turned it on halfway through the 2nd quarter. They were showing replays of the game thus far.

Game starts - OSU is recieving - we run it back for a TD right off the bat.

We kick it off to Bama - they struggle to make any plays and on 3rd down Bosa drops back in coverage and ends up snagging a low thrown ball - he runs it back for a TD. The stadium is beyond nuts.

We kick it off to them again and they drive into our territory - they settle for a FG.

I swith to the Oregon game and the score is 6-7 FSU leading with a TD and Oregon is 2 FG's in.

Keep in mind this is like 4min left in the 1st half.

Anyway, just wanted to put this on paper incase Im onto something here :fa:

Just to offset the bad dreams

The powerhouses of Rutgers and penn St carrying the B1G through bowl season with their mighty victories. I'll laugh if they are the only B1G teams to win a bowl game :lol:

You say that like the quality B1G teams have already played and lost. What about LSU losing to hilarious Notre Dame?

Whoever wins the national championship this year is going to be regarded as a mega champ by virtue of the fact that the winning team has to basically play two bowl games/two national championship games.

If Alabama wins NC, then their stranglehold on the CFB world will get stronger, though that is almost inconceivable at this point. Bama will get the benefit of the doubt for the next 10 years.

If Florida State wins NC, they'll be considered a dynasty. They'll be seen as the only team that is capable of beating the SEC (even if they beat Ohio State for NC), the face of the "other-than-the-SEC." They'll also be even more polarizing, though that - like Bama's cache - is almost inconceivable at this point. They'll be the Troll Kings and there's nothing we can do to stop them.

If Oregon wins the NC, Marcus Mariotta will be in the discussion of the greatest football player of all time (especially if he is instrumental in the wins, which he likely would be). Also, if this happens, look for the PAC12 to be seen as the best conference going into next year, or at least a 1b to the SEC's 1a. People will say that Oregon finally got to the top of the mountain because they figured out how to play defense. Look for everyone to have chrome helmet alternate unis if Oregon wins it all.

If Ohio State wins NC, the narrative will be that a true power has risen. Meyer will get the credit for building a team that can beat the SEC at its own game - a fast, athletic defensive line and an offense that can be lethal - and getting Ohio State over that "hump" (however made up that "hump" is). Also, the narrative will change, insofar as I see a lot of people praising Ohio State for it's BCS-and-beyond success vs. focusing in on them getting beat in the two NC games versus the SEC. Ohio State will be widely regarded as a very athletic, very fast team - something that they never would have been seen as even as recently as four years ago.

Gentleman, this is what CFB is really all about. I'm glad we're at this point. We have two really great matchups only to be followed by what is sure to be another great matchup. I'm happy to be a CFB fan.

Well said! 100% in agreement.