College Football Thread v8.0

bicranium

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a QB you have to be real careful though. Good receivers can make bad passes look good. Go to a mediocre team, you may just get lumped in with the bunch.

Assuming Jones doesn't wet himself in the 'ship, his stock may never be higher. Hell he went from grey shirt not likely to ever see any meaningful game time, to the national championship in the blink of an eye. If he can make himself a few million...I don't think I'd pass up that opportunity.

Assuming Jones doesn't wet himself in the 'ship, his stock may never be higher. Hell he went from grey shirt not likely to ever see any meaningful game time, to the national championship in the blink of an eye. If he can make himself a few million...I don't think I'd pass up that opportunity.

I'm gonna have to agree here.....Although Id love to see him play another year. I'm sure there is room on this team for two starting QB's.....And if Meyer was smart, he'd use that to his advantage.

Jones is 22 with a child, if the NFL gets in his ear telling him he can make a team, you go get all the money you can while you can. As for Braxton, I noticed during the game that Barrett was on the headset and jersey right behind Jones all night long, Braxton was in street clothes, standing by himself not really engaged in the game or with the team. Came off as a very "me first" type of thing to do, maybe reading too much into it, but my friends who were over noticed it as well.

Edit, there is even a thread about it on 11warriors, apparently a lot of people noticed it

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2015/01/47502/braxton-miller-on-the-sideline

FSU players arrived back to campus to see their cars keyed and tires slashed by FSU fans. Also, they were killing the freshman running back on social media: http://collegespun.com/acc/florida-state/florida-state-fans-are-being-brutal-to-dalvin-cook-on-twitter

That has to help recruiting a lot haha

Jones is 22 with a child, if the NFL gets in his ear telling him he can make a team, you go get all the money you can while you can. As for Braxton, I noticed during the game that Barrett was on the headset and jersey right behind Jones all night long, Braxton was in street clothes, standing by himself not really engaged in the game or with the team. Came off as a very "me first" type of thing to do, maybe reading too much into it, but my friends who were over noticed it as well.

Edit, there is even a thread about it on 11warriors, apparently a lot of people noticed it

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/ohio-state-football/2015/01/47502/braxton-miller-on-the-sideline

That's because Braxton had to give urban his headset after he chucked his into the abis lol, Braxton is usually up in the box most the game anyhow but is always engaged in the team. It comes down to not needing Chiefs and needing Indians and he knows that.

FSU players arrived back to campus to see their cars keyed and tires slashed by FSU fans. Also, they were killing the freshman running back on social media: http://collegespun.com/acc/florida-state/florida-state-fans-are-being-brutal-to-dalvin-cook-on-twitter

Man, I HATE it when fans do this shit.

That is disgusting. It's is a freaking game...and those kids played their hearts out. The fans should be embarrassed for making their school look stupid.

-Marc

Going back to Elliott maybe being the most under appreciated back in the country,

"At interviews Sunday afternoon, the nametag that was supposed to identify Ezekiel Elliott was spelled wrong. It was emblematic of perhaps a lack of respect Ohio State’s running back has gotten while quietly putting together one of the best seasons in program history.

Against Alabama, Elliott charged through the Crimson Tide’s defense for 230 yards and two touchdowns on 20 carries — including an 85-yard run late in the fourth quarter. He was named the Sugar Bowl’s Offensive Most Valuable Player.

“I was ready coming into the game. Barry Sanders said before the game there were two great running backs that were going to play tonight, and they both were for Bama,” he said. “I felt a little bit left out.”"

Prrtty sad how they're tearing this kid up. Didn't Winston fumble once and throw a couple picks? Yet not one word in that article about that.

Also agree that Braxton probably will not start for OSU again. Barrett and Jones pretty much put that nail in the coffin. Also agree that Jones may explore the NFL, since he does have a family to support. On to the NCG. Go Bucks!

I'm going to watch a replay of the Oregon-FSU game. I watched the replay of the Ohio State-Alabama game yesterday. I'd also like to watch a replay of the Michigan State-Baylor game.

Also, been reading that Baylor was acting like whiners that whole game, that Briles is insufferable, etc.

What was the reason for fsu just walking off the field? Hell some guys headed that way before the end.

Typical FSU. Not the least bit surprised. Their classless fans are just a reflection of their classless program

I watched the replay of the Ohio State-Alabama game yesterday.

Did you watch the "Finebaum's Film Room" version on the SEC Network last night? I didn't get a chance to record it but some friends told me about it. They actually had a live call-in show with Paul Finebaum and some other SEC people doing commentary with the game also being displayed on the SEC Network on Thursday night. From what I read it's highly entertaining. Bama people were calling in and freaking out before halftime. It's airing again on Monday night and I have it set to record. Should be a good time.

I noticed it too and thought it was strange but then I thought... who can help Cardale more? JT or Braxton? JT played 11 3/4 games with this team. He knows them much better than Braxton does as far as how they're going to act in game situations. So JT was right there behind Cardale on the bench the whole night. I wouldn't have minded seeing Braxton sitting there with them but JT being there was much more useful to Cardale.

Typical FSU. Not the least bit surprised. Their classless fans are just a reflection of their classless program

I'm all for piling on FSU (it's insane some of the stuff that seems to have gone on there over the last year or so that's just been swept under the rug) but they were congratulating Oregon/patting them on the back or on the backs of their helmets for the last half of the 4th quarter. When the game was officially over there were no more congratulations to be given out.

I've been listening to Alabama talk radio all day and Phil Savage is on right now and he is just complimenting the heck out of Ohio State. Said they were "Urban Meyer's Florida teams in a different jersey color and a star running back"

I just had the exact same thought while taking a shit. I was trying to think of why Urban was able to beat Saban this time around and it was right there... a very serious threat at RB. As was pointed out over and over and over again, Urban never had a 1,000 yard RB until last year with Carlos Hyde. And Carlos did it in basically 10 games. Now he's got Zeke who has over 1,600 yards on the year with over 1/4th of that coming in 2 post-season games. In 2009 vs. Bama, Florida had 4 carries by players not named Tim Tebow and they didn't break 100 yards as a team. Even in 2008 when Florida beat Bama Tebow was the leading rusher and the team didn't break 150. Zeke went for 230 and as a team OSU had nearly 300 yards vs. Bama on Thursday night.

On watching the replay of the Oregon-FSU game, I've managed to get through the first quarter. Some thoughts:

-FSU was actually gashing Oregon for fairly sizable runs on a regular basis in the 1QTR. Specifically, it looks like they were just running some basic sweeps - running to the outside of the tackles.

-FSU looked shaky in 1QTR. Miss-handled snaps, Winston kind of flailing around at times, etc. They didn't look very sharp.

-Oregon didn't look exactly sharp either in 1QTR. MM missed a couple of throws (one of which was a sure TD, and he overthrew the open receiver) and Oregon committed a couple of silly penalties that kept FSU's drives alive.

-Oregon's hurry up is like the ultra hurry up. They don't just run it to keep you in a base defense - they run it with the apparent intention of making you have a stroke and die.

-Oregon's hurry up is like the ultra hurry up. They don't just run it to keep you in a base defense - they run it with the apparent intention of making you have a stroke and die.

That's one of the downsides of a relatively quick turnaround between the semifinal and the final. When OSU prepared for Oregon 4 years ago they had time to get conditioned. Tressel had the 1st team defense out there and they went against the 1st, 2nd and scout team offenses. They would just platoon in one after the other to try and simulate the tempo of the Oregon offense.

I thought that was genius and it's not really doable on short notice. Especially with the team recovering from a slugfest with Bama.

I think the defense will have the advantage of goin against OSU's offense all season long, which is an up tempo offense. Every year Oregon has a super fast, up tempo offense and every bowl season that seems to be slowed down once they face a great defense. I am going to o with a bold prediction, Oregon doesn't score more than 30 points against OSU

OSU 35 Oregon 30

I think the defense will have the advantage of goin against OSU's offense all season long, which is an up tempo offense.

That's definitely a little bit of help that the OSU defense didn't have 4 years ago.

On a Michigan-related note, 3 assistants Harbaugh was after have turned him down. Kentucky recruiting coordinator/TE coach Vince Marrow was a big target for Michigan. Huge recruiter in Ohio. Staying at UK. Then 2 Stanford guys... their DC Lance Anderson and their strength coach Shannon Turley. Both staying at Stanford.

Urban allegedly swung and missed on some assistants early on too but he was going after big-time guys who hadn't worked with him before (Chavis, Morris, Stoops, etc.). These are guys Harbaugh has worked with before. This would be like Pantoni, Marotti, etc. not leaving Florida to join Urban when he came to OSU. A little strange.

Looks like Oregon has chosen to wear all white for the game next Monday. OSU will be sporting scarlet jerseys. I had read that Oregon was going to do this in order for Nike to showcase more of the playoff uniforms, rather than OSU and Oreon wearing the same ones they wore last week.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015-national-championship/2015/01/47663/the-first-look-at-ohio-states-championship-uniforms

I had read that Oregon was going to do this in order for Nike to showcase more of the playoff uniforms, rather than OSU and Oreon wearing the same ones they wore last week.

I was reading that the title game was possibly going to feature home jerseys for both teams and thought the exact same thing... Oregon/Nike wanted more Nike jerseys to get into circulation. Then I saw the little sneak peek at Oregon's jerseys yesterday and that pretty much confirmed it. Both wearing homes would have been cool.