College Football Thread v8.0

bicranium

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently he was offered the SMU job in mid-November. Pretty surprised that Herman turned that down and Morris jumped on it so quickly.

Wasn't Morris from the Dallas area originally?

Agree with all of this. I LOVE the "chrome" uni's, I especially love the "All Whites" that we wore in last years UM game, the rest of you can eat me.

I do really like the gray sleeve stripes as opposed to to black ones. We were rocking those as late as the early 2000's, as I have an AJ Hawk jersey with the gray stripes.

If you think that having cool uni's doesn't play a part in kids picking schools, you're nuts. How big of a role, who can say, but it definitely plays a role. Kids want to kick ass, and look cool doing it. Hell, *I* want to look cool while kicking ass. Lol Johnny Bravo, on the other hand, looks cool while falling off of a bicycle onto and pile of newborn puppies, so he isn't so much worried about his outfit helping him with that.

Man, it's gonna be a long three weeks till game time.

While DJ and I disagree on the Ohio State alternate unis, I agree with him wholeheartedly that uniforms are meaningful to the players. Sometimes it's easy to forget they're all adolescents.

Also, I laughed out loud at the falling off the bike reference. Falling off a bike is one of those things that, if you do it, there is simply no way to not look like a complete moron. Other things that are mutually exclusive with being cool? Falling up stairs and getting hit in the face with any ball - basketball, football, etc. Bonus uncool points if, after getting in the head with the ball, the sunglasses you are wearing fall off.

Penn State generally recruits well, Alabama recruits very well, USC recruits pretty damn good as does Texas...I don't believe any of those teams have crazy off the wall alternate uniforms do they? As I said, if a schools alternate uniform is the deciding factor on landing a recruits then there is some other issues with that kid. I would like to think that relationship with the coaches, other players and things such as quality of education, chance of making it to the NFL would play a bigger role than playing dress up with 85 other dudes.

In non uniform news, Barrett named national freshman of the year

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46043/jt-barrett-named-cfpa-national-freshman-of-the-year

Penn State generally recruits well, Alabama recruits very well, USC recruits pretty damn good as does Texas...I don't believe any of those teams have crazy off the wall alternate uniforms do they? As I said, if a schools alternate uniform is the deciding factor on landing a recruits then there is some other issues with that kid. I would like to think that relationship with the coaches, other players and things such as quality of education, chance of making it to the NFL would play a bigger role than playing dress up with 85 other dudes.

In non uniform news, Barrett named Freshman of the year

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46043/jt-barrett-named-cfpa-national-freshman-of-the-year

Josh, uniforms aren't the deciding reason why a student chooses to go to a school, so stop acting like we're saying they are. Of course, all those things you mentioned play a bigger role. But, to act like uniforms don't register somewhere on the player's interest meter is naïve. Hell, we're grown men and we're sitting around debating the merits of black stripes and green stickers on uniforms - don't you think 19 year old guys are saying similar things?

Also, the uniform variety is more about just a uniform - it's about a culture. The Oregons of the world are portraying themselves as cutting edge, trendy, at the forefront of change, etc. with their uniforms. And that kind of culture sells to certain folks. And, like you've said, the Oregons of the world need to do something like that because they don't have a storied tradition to fall back on, like the Penn States and Alabamas of the college universe.

The biggest thing with the uniforms and recruits... it keeps the school on a recruit's mind. Seen tons of recruits mentioning these new uniforms on Twitter since they were unveiled this morning.

As others have said, no recruit is going to choose a school based on uniforms but maybe you keep a door cracked open for a recruit that would otherwise be shut because they keep seeing OSU or whoever with "fresh" uniforms and gear.

While DJ and I disagree on the Ohio State alternate unis, I agree with him wholeheartedly that uniforms are meaningful to the players. Sometimes it's easy to forget they're all adolescents.

Also, I laughed out loud at the falling off the bike reference. Falling off a bike is one of those things that, if you do it, there is simply no way to not look like a complete moron. Other things that are mutually exclusive with being cool? Falling up stairs and getting hit in the face with any ball - basketball, football, etc. Bonus uncool points if, after getting in the head with the ball, the sunglasses you are wearing fall off.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/eXl2q6imX2Ss0/200.gif

As expected, Tyler Green "decommitted." Same as Lonnie Johnson/Taivon Jacobs. Told to look elsewhere. They want to fit Juwuan Briscoe in.

Just came here to post this. I find it funny as today one of the writers for 11w had a 20minute q/a session and said the only person he thinks may decommit would be Davis. I figured one of the DB's would look elsewhere.

People thought Davis would get the same treatment as Green and have it suggested that he look elsewhere but now it looks like the staff actually wants to keep him.

5* DE Josh Sweat's announcement may be worth keeping an eye on tomorrow.

Will keep on eye out :) Hopefully it is tOSU. BTW, you know why Ohio State isn't recurting the 4* Anthony Mckee anymore, He is a hell of an OLB and from Columbus Ohio. Also, Nick Bosa is a beast, hopefully he will follow in his brothers footsteps and come play for tOSU.

Will keep on eye out :) Hopefully it is tOSU. BTW, you know why Ohio State isn't recurting the 4* Anthony Mckee anymore, He is a hell of an OLB and from Columbus Ohio. Also, Nick Bosa is a beast, hopefully he will follow in his brothers footsteps and come play for tOSU.

McKee never got an offer. He's kind of a tweener. OSU kept him warm in case they had to fall back to him but with a LB class of Conner, Hilliard and Baker there was no need to fall back.

Nick Bosa will be a Buckeye. That's already decided, just not announced. It's too bad Joey is so good he is 100% gone after next year because it would have been awesome to see 2 Bosa's out there at once.

As for Sweat... everyone thinks it's FSU or VT so OSU is a dark horse here but I read some stuff that made it sound like there's a chance. We'll know in about a half hour or so. OSU didn't have a Sweat-like guy on the DL this year. It would have been Noah Spence but we all know how that went.

Edit: And there it is... FSU for Sweat. Had to think if it really was between FSU/VT it would be FSU. VT is closer to home but they may be losing long-time DC Bud Foster.

BTW - my reason for optimism out of nowhere... Zach Smith was in-home with Sweat and his mother last night and left feeling like it was between OSU/VT. He knew that it was absolutely possible that they were just playing him/telling him what he wanted to hear but that's what he felt. Someone who covers OSU recruiting actually had his Sweat commitment article written last night because it seemed like a real possibility.

Edited by bicranium

"J.T. Barrett and his girlfriend were involved in a dispute that ended in police coming to the Ohio State quarterback’s apartment early Wednesday morning, according to a report from local television station ABC6.

According to the report, no charges have been filed, police observed no visible injuries and both refused medical treatment at the scene.

Barrett and his girlfriend, Alexandria Barrett-Clark, called police after a fight over Barrett asking Barrett-Clark to leave his apartment.

Barrett says she hit him and Barrett-Clark says he choked her with his forearm and tried to take her phone.

An Ohio State spokesman told Eleven Warriors the school is aware of the incident and is gathering more information. "

Maybe they'll exhaust all their options like they did last time and end up with... Brady Hoke. :lolguy:

Their fans are so delusional, I commented on a friend of mines facebook status the other day. He happens to be a Michigan fan, the next thing you know, his friend who is another Michigan fan gets all hot tempered about how great they are. Told me all about their young great RB's, QB's and OL, said Gardner is the only reason Hoke lost the last 3 games against OSU lol. Informed me that Michigan is still an easy place to recruit at, had nothing to say about the state of their current recruiting class.

They will end up with someone just like Hoke, you are correct.