Help me find a daily.

Dr. Pomade

I'm in the market for a daily driver. I'm leaning toward a 5-series BMW or an A4 or A6. I'm open to other possibilities. Thoughts or suggestions? I think I'd prefer a sedan, but can do a coupe. I do a fair amount of driving, so gas mileage matters. I won't mod it and don't care about how fast it is or isn't. I'm not going to buy new, but would prefer a newer model.

Also, if you're really awesome, feel free to post links to cars you come across in the area. There's an A4 and a BMW at Toy Barn - both white (of course, that's my preference) - that caught my eye, so let me know if you have thoughts about them.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drove a new A4 when my dad was car shopping. I know you don't care about power but the car sucked on the highway even with simple lane changes. For a turbo I was really disappointed.

Why don't you get like a 320i xdrive? Dave Walter BMW up here in Akron are leasing them for like $329 for 39 months at 0 down IIRC. Car has no balls but it is new, and fairly economical?

A4 will get you more features, lower mileage, and newer car for same $ vs a 5 series based on original MSRP. It'll get better mileage too.

Jones just picked up a c300 4matic, and seems to like it for a daily type of entry luxury car. Gas mileage is poor supposedly.

Look at resale value. BMW's take a larger than normal hit on there resale. I think you'd be better off picking up an older A4/A6. Picking up a low mile A4 prestige shouldn't be much trouble. If need be look in my area and I'll check them out personally for you.

prius. Seriously, buy a used prius and put the rest of the money into a play car or a really fast motorcycle.

Don't buy an Audi past the warranty, and don't buy a BMW expecting great mileage (they get good mileage, but to drive it like you enjoy it means you won't get great mileage).

If you must have german, buy a Golf diesel.

Look at resale value. BMW's take a larger than normal hit on there resale. I think you'd be better off picking up an older A4/A6. Picking up a low mile A4 prestige shouldn't be much trouble. If need be look in my area and I'll check them out personally for you.

Resale value definitely matters to me, since I rarely keep a car longer than a few years.

prius. Seriously, buy a used prius and put the rest of the money into a play car or a really fast motorcycle.

Don't buy an Audi past the warranty, and don't buy a BMW expecting great mileage (they get good mileage, but to drive it like you enjoy it means you won't get great mileage).

If you must have german, buy a Golf diesel.

I know you said seriously, but I can't believe you're serious about the Prius or the motorcycle. In any event, I wouldn't even get good gas mileage in a Prius the way I drive.

I've learned I should either buy 1-year old cars or really old cheap ones. The middle ground can tend to have the least bang for the buck than the other two in the long run.

Yeah, I'm with you on getting the fairly new used cars. I will never buy brand new ever again. I like for the other guy to take the depreciation hit.

The ATS' are nice, supposed to have the best dynamics of any of the small cars. From what I remember, with a sunroof, headroom was tight. I'd check to see if you had enough room for your hair.

2015 A3 2.0T quattros are a decent package, can probably start to find a used one here or there too.

:barf:that front end.

I've seen a loaded one and it was tolerable. Driven by a fat ugly woman in her 50's. Fitting for her. Looks like a modern day Cadillac Cimarron.

LOL, copy that.

How about a s5? I heard they are sweet dd's?

:gabe:

Well played. I hate you, but well played.

Now you've gone and done it.

So, who here can find me the best local deal on a used, but newer model Caddy CTS? Is the one Wags just posted a good deal? What's the maintenance like on these cars - comparable to the Germans' luxury equivalent or less?

So, who here can find me the best local deal on a used, but newer model Caddy CTS? Is the one Wags just posted a good deal? What's the maintenance like on these cars - comparable to the Germans' luxury equivalent or less?

Jordan at JET auto!

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/member.php?u=2696

It's not the must fuel-efficient choice, but it's $10k less than the 5-series, more on par with 7-series level luxury and space, someone else has taken $40k of the depreciation.

Hyundai Equus doesn't have the badge appeal but if you're saving $10-15k over a SMALLER, LESS EQUIPPED BMW or Audi, who the hell cares?

Or go for a Genesis if the Equus is too big.