Help me find a daily.

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, copy that.

Well played. I hate you, but well played.

Now you've gone and done it.

So, who here can find me the best local deal on a used, but newer model Caddy CTS? Is the one Wags just posted a good deal? What's the maintenance like on these cars - comparable to the Germans' luxury equivalent or less?

I've never really heard of issues with the CTS-V when it comes to drive line stuff. The maintenance really is going to be closer to that of a vette I would think since it shares pretty much the same drive line.

I talked to a customer up at Big3 Racing over the summer about his V, he got away from BMW because he was tired of the maintenance and other issues. This guy went a bit crazy, did heads, cam, pully swap and now makes close to 700 at the wheels.

http://waggz.smugmug.com/Cars/Big-3-Dyno-Day-Shoot/i-k4JgwPT/0/L/IMG_7331-L.jpg

What about infinity g37 sedan?

http://www.myg37.com/forums/attachments/g37-sedan/91816d1335646970-g37-sedan-6mt-owners-check-in-p1130178.jpg

+1. My dad had one and it was a blast. Those V6s sound great under WOT. Shitty gas mileage though.

I'll probably be shot for this, but twin turbos for less than $30k. And it's the right color.

http://www.byersford.com/Certified-2013-Ford-Taurus-SHO-Delaware-OH/vd/23799456

I know you said seriously, but I can't believe you're serious about the Prius or the motorcycle. In any event, I wouldn't even get good gas mileage in a Prius the way I drive.

If you wouldn't get good mileage with a hybrid, you aren't going to get close to good mileage with a BMW or merc.

But fine, people hate hybrids, so how about a Honda civic or Kia forte koup? With what you save you could then buy a nice Ducati and get your jollies on nice weekends.

You can have cheap maintenance, good resale, good mileage, or luxury

Pick three.

If you wouldn't get good mileage with a hybrid, you aren't going to get close to good mileage with a BMW or merc.

But fine, people hate hybrids, so how about a Honda civic or Kia forte koup? With what you save you could then buy a nice Ducati and get your jollies on nice weekends.

You can have cheap maintenance, good resale, good mileage, or luxury

Pick three.

Am I getting trolled?

Serious question.

:confused:

Probably not exactly what you have in mind but check out the Jaguar XF. It's a great compromise between the 5-Series and an E-Class with the added bonuses of the 5.0L engine and the fact that you will see 20 5-series/E-Class cars on the road for every XF.

+1. My dad had one and it was a blast. Those V6s sound great under WOT. Shitty gas mileage though.

I'll probably be shot for this, but twin turbos for less than $30k. And it's the right color.

http://www.byersford.com/Certified-2013-Ford-Taurus-SHO-Delaware-OH/vd/23799456

I love CR: I ask for help finding a daily, say I don't care about how fast it is, and the thread quickly derails into convincing me that a TT kit should be put on whatever I buy. :)

I've never really heard of issues with the CTS-V when it comes to drive line stuff. The maintenance really is going to be closer to that of a vette I would think since it shares pretty much the same drive line.

I talked to a customer up at Big3 Racing over the summer about his V, he got away from BMW because he was tired of the maintenance and other issues. This guy went a bit crazy, did heads, cam, pully swap and now makes close to 700 at the wheels.

http://waggz.smugmug.com/Cars/Big-3-Dyno-Day-Shoot/i-k4JgwPT/0/L/IMG_7331-L.jpg

Yup, I'm about over the German maintenance crap. Went through it with a Mercedes and an Audi and would rather not have to deal with it. You seriously have me considering a CTS-V now. My only concern is gas mileage. Then again, something an A4 isn't going to get THAT much better gas mileage, is it?

It's not the must fuel-efficient choice, but it's $10k less than the 5-series, more on par with 7-series level luxury and space, someone else has taken $40k of the depreciation.

Hyundai Equus doesn't have the badge appeal but if you're saving $10-15k over a SMALLER, LESS EQUIPPED BMW or Audi, who the hell cares?

Or go for a Genesis if the Equus is too big.

I don't want to be that guy, but I kind of am that guy, and I'm not sure I can get past that it's a Hyundai.

I love CR: I ask for help finding a daily, say I don't care about how fast it is, and the thread quickly derails into convincing me that a TT kit should be put on whatever I buy. :)

Yup, I'm about over the German maintenance crap. Went through it with a Mercedes and an Audi and would rather not have to deal with it. You seriously have me considering a CTS-V now. My only concern is gas mileage. Then again, something an A4 isn't going to get THAT much better gas mileage, is it?

I don't want to be that guy, but I kind of am that guy, and I'm not sure I can get past that it's a Hyundai.

Before the German Fan Boiz choke on their schnitzel, its not that GM is without flaws, GM flaws are just usually cheaper to deal with. That and you can get parts a lot easier and cheaper if there is an issue.

While I'm totally that guy too, especially with the Equus, my buddy got a Genesis V8 and damn that's a really nice car. I had a Hyundai Santa Fe for a while and I hated it. At the end of the day, the value proposition of the high end Hyundais is unbeatable.

Shit, LeBron drives a Kia K900 and HE approached Kia about a sponsorship deal because he enjoyed the car so much.

Not like it's the only car he drives, but I think that says something about what they're delivering.

You don't have to put a kit on it. It's already got them on there from the factory!

In all seriousness though, I'm just following your posts in this thread. The cars listed in your first post are all forced induction and AWD, then you post the ATS with the biggest motor and AWD. Sounds like you wanted something more performance-oriented. My suggestion was related to your portrayed interest, and that's why I linked you that SHO. Get a solid, comfortable cruiser with some balls, it's a CPO and you save $5000-10000 over the other options.

CTS V is probably mid teens, A4, should average 10 more easily.

A4 should do over 30 at 70mph.

JB, you say people can't follow the thread, but then you yourself can't either. Ask for daily car that you don't care about speed, and want good, lower maint, with good MPG...

and are now considering a 4200lb RWD, sports sedan, that'll eat gas, tires, brakes two fold over a "normal" luxury sedan.

JB, you say people can't follow the thread, but then you yourself can't either.

I know, I'm just as guilty as everyone else. What can I say? CR is fairly influential. I mean, it's pretty much the greatest collection of minds on the internet.

Clearly, I'm not sure what I want. If I was, then I wouldn't be asking for opinions. :)

I understand that completely.

The A6 hasn't been mentioned, and they are great cars. 3.0T (supercharged) A6 are great cars, and would be my choice over the comparable E/5/XF.

Good luck!

I saw an A6 recently and really liked it.

However, I hate Audi's electronic controls for the radio, navigation, etc. Specifically, you have to use this dial for everything and I find that incredibly annoying.

Do you want RWD/AWD or is FWD ok? It's dissimilar to what you posted, but what about an Accord Hybird? Everyone I know who's driven one and pretty much all of the reviews rave about the car and how much they like it even though they 'shouldn't'.

It's rated at something liek 45/45 and actually gets it, which is amazing for a car that size.

0-60 in 7 seconds and 48mpg http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/02/review-2014-honda-accord-hybrid-with-video/#more-707986

I like the Genesis sedan suggestions. I drove on a few months ago and liked it. Seems like a great value proposition.

Am I getting trolled?

Serious question.

:confused:

No, not being trolled.

I was a huge german car fanboy for years but I wouldn't touch a newer one with a 10 ft pole and I do some of my own work. For some reason the germans went from making cars that rivaled anvils in terms of reliability to bleeding edge tech that breaks once an hour. Even my wife's audi makes fixing a taillight a multi hundred dollar proposition because it is no longer a mechanical solenoid and standard two stage bulb but a single filament bulb where the computer varies the current to get different brightness out of the bulb.

Unless you are in sales or some other customer facing business and need the prestige of a luxury brand, just my personal feeling these days that it's better to buy a cheap, reliable, dependable, boring car, and put the money you save into really crazy toys. But that is just works for me and I don't know you in real life and can't speak to what would work for you.