Help me spend $30-40k even $45k on a new ride...

TTQ B4U

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In threads like this, I think it's probably prudent to give a certain amount of weight to the opinions of people who actually have owned the cars they're referencing. In these kinds of threads, the CTS-V always gets mentioned, though the majority of people suggesting them have never owned one and thus, can't attest to how it functions. In other words, plenty of guys here have no problems spending your money on a car they've never owned. Seriously interested in a CTS-V? Ask Clay and Kirk what they think. Wondering about a Porsche or an Audi? Talk to Andy. GTR? Jordan or Jones. And so on and so forth.

Great point!

I like to think my recommendations or disapprovals should hold some water, as I have driven just about everything. One of the great parts of my job is being able to grab just about every vehicle in existence and spend 2-7 days driving it as my demo.

BUT..... That being said, I have come to find that car preference is VERY subjective. Things that I might love about a certain car (ie. Raw "feeling", sporty suspension) might be the same things that make someone else hate it.

EDIT:

When I re-read what I typed I'm not sure if it came across right.

The main point I am trying to get across is this:

Some people will give you an opinion based on their idea of a car they have never driven.

Some people will give you an opinion based on a car they know inside and out better than anyone.

Due to the subjective nature of opinions on a car, take ALL of them with a grain of salt and try one out yourself.

Saw 5 of these on the way home form work today... dam things all look the same and are on every street corner.

Ctsv is my hands down vote, buy some winter tires and BAM! Plus you have the assault van for when it snows with the family.

There is a reason you saw no CTSVs today and you saw 5 Bimmers.

Snow

CTSV in the snow sucks. Snow tires or not. They are all home parked in the garage right now.

Xdrive BMW on the other hand.. Well they go great

:gabe:

Taurus SHO.

Just about the only car in this thread that hits everything on your criteria. CR REVIEW TIME:

So I just finished flashing the OTS map to my SHO and taking it for its maiden voyage. I must SAY FUCK ME!!! she's quick. It's now chirping tires into second and the shifts and throttle response are greatly improved.

It should go : I suggest a CTSv. Clay seconds me or says get a teeeruck. Jones says get an Audi. Aaron sings the virtues of VW - now AWD in case you missed it. pRD...whatever suggests a Saab.

Wait, Brian why have you not yet suggested a Mustang?

It should go : I suggest a CTSv. Clay seconds me or says get a teeeruck. Jones says get an Audi. Aaron sings the virtues of VW - now AWD in case you missed it. pRD...whatever suggests a Saab.

Wait, Brian why have you not yet suggested a Mustang?

Tim is a bit too eccentric for one.

^^ I have a mustang as my rental car here in Dallas. had some fun with it tonight scaring my brother in law as we drifted some curves on the wet roads.

If the ctsv came with awd it would be the only car I'd recommend. If it came with awd and the 8 speed, I'd be buying a spare one right now. I've owned mine for over three years and it makes a hell of a daily. Decent trunk, good back seat, awesome seats, great styling, best stereo gm has ever put out, great sound with a catback from that big v8, and the suspension is butter when you want it to be, and firm when you put it in sport mode. You can easily add 100hp if for some reason 556 isn't enough.

Things I'm not thrilled about::

I think I average 14.4 mpg. I drive mostly city miles, but gas mileage sucks. Combine that with a small gas tank (16 gallons I think?), and it makes it even more irritating.

I wish the exhaust was dual mode. I have a catback and get just a hint of drone. I'm spoiled with the vette having dual mode exhaust.

The rear end whines just a touch. Again, nitpicking. I had the rear on mine replaced 15k miles ago for whining, and it still whines just a bit. I even followed the break in procedure.

The tires are low profile 19". And I'm on my 3rd set of rear tires since I bought the car. For whatever reason they wear out quick, and I don't even really do anything nuts with the car---my kids are always in it when I'm driving it. I've gotten about 10k miles from each set of rears, and have 35k miles on the clock. Again, these are only minor things, I'm being picky.

I'm curious as to what this entails?

The break in?

For 500 miles never maintaining a constant speed. Just basically varying speed, and not using cruise control on the freeway. And no wot pulls. Sucks, when my commute is 5 miles. It still whines on deceleration at 50 mph. Doesn't whine when cruising, doesn't whine when accelerating, and doesn't whine at any other speed. And when I say "whine", I'm being a bit of a bitch. Every mustang I ever owned made twice as much noise from the rear end

For what it is worth my experience with the CTS-V is that it is garbage in the snow, even with snow tires. Cold weather is fine, but with snow on the ground it is near impossible keeping it straight on the highway. Great car 97% of the time, but I would not recommend buying one if it was your only car. I have started driving my truck to work unless I have a client meeting.

Having owned a CTS-V wagon I can say that it is the best car I have ever owned. It did everything IMO that you want in a car. Comfortable, fast, handles amazing, sounds great (mine had headers and corsa exhaust, ask track day attendee's about the sound) the ride was the perfect mix of comfort and sportiness, GM hit a home run with the Magnetic Ride Control system. The interior is top notch and don't bother with anything but the Recaro seats, the standard ones don't belong in a performance car. My car was 6M but I drove a few auto V's, my personal taste was the 6M was just more enjoyable to drive. If you want to drag race though go with the auto as it is easier to drive.

The bad is of course what Kirk stated, the gas mileage and small tank. I never saw a range higher than 300 miles even all highway. I never drove mine in bad weather but even on cold roads it was very traction limited so unless you plan on adding snow tires to the mix the V is not an all year DD, I would even be suspect on all seasons being up to the task.

In the end it is up to you but if you want the best all around performance car get the V, if you want the best all around performance car that can also haul a lot of stuff, get the V wagon.