Help me spend $30-40k even $45k on a new ride...

TTQ B4U

Tilley can attest to the fact that the 5 series seems to drive much smaller than it's actual footprint would make you think.

The 550i is quicker in a straight line, although the S4 might feel better around the twisties.

The 3 series is a GREAT car. I just personally prefer the 550i ( and I'm only 32 ;) )

I'll save my anti Audi rants for the chatbox. :lol:

I can most certainly get you one, if that's what you want. They are not a brand I will ever recommend again though, for what that's worth.

Yours truly,

A former Audi owner

Jordan will take care of you for sure, but he is an Audi hater. Disregard his opinion on cars in general, he likes EVOs and Ford Explorers. :gabe:

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M3

If you go Lexus a GS350 is poverty, and an LS430/460 is not sporty at all. Anything Lexus is a Lexobarge.

The new GS350 is very well reviewed, especially on the ride/handling department.

haha on the Lexus thing. I don't know why, but I kinda dig teh GS350. Nice inside for sure. haven't driven one just been in one as a passenger.

I'll drive one just to compare though.

I like them too, overall, but really no competition to the S4 IMO.

The new GS350 is very well reviewed, especially on the ride/handling department.

I like them too, overall, but really no competition to the S4 IMO.

I still think they feel like a boat. Revised and better, yes. Handles like an M3 sedan? Hell no...

My M5 drives smaller than my C5Z.

There are a fair amount of people - experts and lay people - who contend the 5 series is the best car on the market right now, just as an all-around great car that combines luxury and sportiness. I can't say I have found anything to date that would lead me to disagree.

You know why I would shy away from the 3 series? Two reasons: (1) you can get better performance for about the same price in a 5 series and (2) 3 series just scream "$30K millionaire" to me.

If it was a true daily driver, then I'm buying a 550i xdrive today and not thinking twice about it. Because we have an AWD SUV in the household, I had the luxury of going with the M5 (which I would not recommend as a true daily driver. given that on really bad weather days the M5 just probably isn't appropriate).

I love my caddy. In the summer. Pulls like a freight train even stock. I've hurt some feelings in that car. Mustangs, vettes, just about anything that has tried. Not too many really fast cars where I live though. I don't get to drive it six months out of the year though. I have summer tires and it is undriveable in the snow here. I'm not sure how good it would do with snow tires. I have two other awd vehicles for the winter. My caddy just didn't see much duty at all last year. Sucks. Can't decide whether to keep it or sell it. I'm also up in the air about selling the gtr this year for a four door, awd world killer. Or keep the caddy and sell the gtr/vette and buy something like a mclaren. Lol

If the caddy could handle the snow, it would get my vote. With a pulley, it is a mid 11 second car all day long. The mag ride is incredible and the seats are the best I've had in any car. Back seat has room for my 3 kids, and the auto is good. An 8 speed would be sick. I'm just concerned it wouldn't do well in the snow, which is the only reason I'm considering selling mine this spring/summer

If the caddy could handle the snow, it would get my vote. With a pulley, it is a mid 11 second car all day long. The mag ride is incredible and the seats are the best I've had in any car. Back seat has room for my 3 kids, and the auto is good. An 8 speed would be sick. I'm just concerned it wouldn't do well in the snow, which is the only reason I'm considering selling mine this spring/summer

Does yours have the factory Recaros? I've been thinking of trading the V1 in for a V wagon. There is a lot of debate about which seat options are better.

Does yours have the factory Recaros? I've been thinking of trading the V1 in for a V wagon. There is a lot of debate about which seat options are better.

I have not sat in the regular seats. I have the recaros and love them. They are better than the seats in my vette (duh), better than the gtr (too narrow for me). My gt500 had recaros and they were awesome as well.

Any issues with the 335 or M3 series engine wise? I'm leery of BMW for some reason....

The N54/N55 engines can be maintenance whores. Wastegate rattle/failure (N54), oil housing gasket failures (mixing oil and coolant or just straight leaking), HPFP/injector failure (4000+PSI and they fail? no shit.), valve cover gasket, $500 water pump failures, carbon buildup, some higher milage N54s have encountered leaking valve seals.

All that said, it's the ONLY car in this thread that will lay the smack down and still net 30+mpg. You can easily find an N54 335i x-drive sedan in your price range.

Hey, Tim, have you thought about a SAAB 9-5? 250hp all-weather tourer.

Oh hai, Cody...didn't see you there. :gabe:

I certainly didn't hear you there.

But just to clarify, the 9-5 Aero makes 300 HP and is available with awd. However the awd unit is a bit finicky so I wouldn't recommend.

:thumbup:

I would suggest a 2012ish BMW 550i Xdrive

V8 check, AWD check, class check

Saw 5 of these on the way home form work today... dam things all look the same and are on every street corner.

Ctsv is my hands down vote, buy some winter tires and BAM! Plus you have the assault van for when it snows with the family.

]"]http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43230&endYear=2016&modelCode1=CTS&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2008&makeCode1=CAD&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=300&maxPrice=50000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[CAD[CTS[CTS%257CV]]

OOO YEA

http://www.andrewscadillac.com/VehicleDetails/certified-2010-Cadillac-CTS_V--Brentwood-TN/2421986133

What about a jaguar XF? can be had 20-40k with under 40k miles

2013 jaguar 9k miles 39k awd

http://www.landroverchantilly.com/detail.cfm?inventoryID=336731&listType=C&NewUsed=0&specialFlag=&Year=&MakeID=18&ModelID=&VehicleTypeID=&Trim=&TransmissionID=&drive_train=&priceRange=&Mileage=&exteriorColor=&interiorColor=&usedHistory=&fuelType=&CityMPG=&HywMPG=&specialOffers=0&special_offer_id=&sortBy=1&orderBy=0&vehicleNumType=S&vehicleNumVal=&displayNum=35&currPage=1&currSection=1&startPage=1&displayPage=7&showAll=0&sortOrderBy=1%2C0&sortOrderBy=1%2C0

][]]&listingId=387773295&Log=0"] http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=43230&endYear=2016&modelCode1=XF&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=2010&makeCode1=JAG&listingTypes=new%2Cused&maxMileage=60000&searchRadius=500&maxPrice=50000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=

http://www.otozain.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/jaguar-xf-2014.jpg

http://carslaws.com/images600_/jaguar-xf-189.jpg

True, you do see a lot of BMW's on the road, so they definitely aren't winning any "most exotic" contests. Also, I bet 90 percent+ of the population can't tell a 335 from an M5.

In threads like this, I think it's probably prudent to give a certain amount of weight to the opinions of people who actually have owned the cars they're referencing. In these kinds of threads, the CTS-V always gets mentioned, though the majority of people suggesting them have never owned one and thus, can't attest to how it functions. In other words, plenty of guys here have no problems spending your money on a car they've never owned. Seriously interested in a CTS-V? Ask Clay and Kirk what they think. Wondering about a Porsche or an Audi? Talk to Andy. GTR? Jordan or Jones. And so on and so forth.