grass growers, i have questions.

At the very end of fall last year our neighbors yard was infested with grubs. The grubs worked their way around the entire street. Our yard took a little damage and we have two 10x10 bare spots. What's the best way to patch this?

Thanks.

Tom

At the very end of fall last year our neighbors yard was infested with grubs. The grubs worked their way around the entire street. Our yard took a little damage and we have two 10x10 bare spots. What's the best way to patch this?

Thanks.

Tom

First I would make sure that you and he neighbors treat for grubs, if you haven't already. Pretty simple , rake dead grass up, loosen dirt by raking, spread grass seed, make sure it is moist. Covering it with straw will help with that, but may make the neighbors unhappy when the wind kicks up.

The choice of grass seed is the hardest, because if it is different seed, that patch will grow at a different rate, be different color than the rest (usually fall and spring). You can buy either regular grass seed, or if it is in a shady area, the mulch mix and it will grow better. If you are lazy, you can just throw seed on top of the dead grass and it will grow, but later on the thatch might be too much

Kind of a side note.

I have a HUGE issue with ground moles or something of the kind. Whatever it is it's destroying my yard. I was told to get rid of "grubs" first by various people.

I have areas that sink down about 3in when I walk over them.

That being said.. I also have a well. Suggestions?

I looked up some similar info since I thought I had a few too. Seems like you can get the grass going and then treat for grubs come mid-summer before they hatch in August. Sounds like treating now may not do much at all since it is early spring.

Get ride of grubs, clear area of dead grass and I've had great success with the appropriate blend of Scotts seed....the kind with the water retention crap around it. Sunny for sun areas, shade for under trees, etc.

Key I have found is to lay a thin later of fresh top soil under it then use straw. I've tried other stuff to cover it up but straw seems to really work the best. They have bails of it that are meshed or sticks together more to make clean up really easy. I did this along the sides of my driveway after the new concrete drive was in place and within 3-4 weeks it was durable and strong grass.