Nice places to go eat in Columbus

The_buster

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I remember correctly diamonds also really liked Bel Lago and that place was awful so not sure his opinion means much :gabe:

2 things..

1. I just searched "lago" and found a thread where someone asked about a good spot for under 80 bucks and I saw a reply where someone said Bel Lago sucked and I commented in a nature where I agreed whole-heartedly. I have been to Bel Lago 2 times. First time we sat on the upstairs patio, had a drink, and then we went downstairs to sit down and left after being seated because the menu sucked and there were bugs (by the 100's) crawling on the window will next to our table. 2nd time was a work function... Their johnniewalker black was as good as anyone else's..

2. Realistically (based on your accusation/opinion), throw out a dollar amount of how much I'd have to pay you to leave The CR forum entirely. I am tired of your threads/replies.

Might just be the hangover I have... Sorry if I'm moody...

Edited by Diamonds

Care to elaborate on why? They've been great for my wife and me, and all my friends that have gone have really enjoyed it. Not trying to belittle or anything, just curious as to why

1. Service was terrible, sat down, 6 guys total, ordered drinks, first drink came 15 minutes later... As well as the other 5 drinks trickling in over the next 25 minutes. Happened again when we ordered a 2nd round to the point where one of the guys just went to the bar to get his and another guys drink because the server forget them.

2. Atmosphere was old and/or half-assed. I know the place has been around for a while. But it looked as if "expenses were spared".

3. Food, decent... Not something I'm gonna go to a buddy and say "you gotta try this".

With any food place I give them 2 chances. So, I will go back eventually to see if the service is better. Still will feel like an old folks eatery (like Paul's in grandview). That's another place that we walked in sat down... Looked at each other, got up and left...

Edited by Diamonds

http://s3.amazonaws.com/foodspotting-ec2/reviews/2583890/thumb_600.jpg?1350443897

That looks like some upscale homeless person dessert. Looks like some shit Mugatu would serve at the Derelicte show. No matter how delicious it is, I don't want to eat my food out of something that looks like a trash bag.

2 things..

1. I just searched "lago" and found a thread where someone asked about a good spot for under 80 bucks and I saw a reply where someone said Bel Lago sucked and I commented in a nature where I agreed whole-heartedly. I have been to Bel Lago 2 times. First time we sat on the upstairs patio, had a drink, and then we went downstairs to sit down and left after being seated because the menu sucked and there were bugs (by the 100's) crawling on the window will next to our table. 2nd time was a work function... Their johnniewalker black was as good as anyone else's..

2. Realistically, throw out a dollar amount of how much I'd have to pay you to leave The CR forum entirely. I am tired of your threads/replies.

Might just be the hangover I have... Sorry if I'm moody...

http://www.cvs.com/bizcontent/merchandising/productimages/large/31284317253.jpg

1. Service was terrible, sat down, 6 guys total, ordered drinks, first drink came 15 minutes later... As well as the other 5 drinks trickling in over the next 25 minutes. Happened again when we ordered a 2nd round to the point where one of the guys just went to the bar to get his and another guys drink because the server forget them.

2. Atmosphere was old and/or half-assed. I know the place has been around for a while. But it looked as if "expenses were spared".

3. Food, decent... Not something I'm gonna go to a buddy and say "you gotta try this".

With any food place I give them 2 chances. So, I will go back eventually to see if the service is better. Still will feel like an old folks eatery (like Paul's in grandview). That's another place that we walked in sat down... Looked at each other, got up and left...

Thanks for the response. We always had young waitresses who were very enthusiastic and put on the show that they really cared (I know its all a show for a good tip but it genuinely helps with the over all experience). The food has usually been on the rich side but there's always been at least one side that helps to cancel out that overly richness. The view for my wife and me were what made the experience. Mid to late spring and early fall where evening Temps are in the upper 60's are the best because it's the perfect temp to sit on the patio and view the city skyline as the light fades.

I've never experienced the old people type of atmosphere. The first time we went there was a wedding reception going on in the reception hall and that enjoyable atmosphere bled over to the patio and made it that much more enjoyable for the wife and i.

Clearly CR members have very different tastes in restaurants. No surprise there.

My "favorite restaurant" or the place I might think has the "best" food would not be the same place I would recommend for someone looking for a special occasion, romantic restaurant for a truly epic meal you remember for the rest of your life. Those places become legendary. Maxim's in Paris, Las Brisas in Laguna, and the Ritz at Newport Beach come to mind. Once upon a time, Columbus had Marzetti's downtown, but that left with the dinosaurs. Nothing in Columbus these days compares.

That said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Refectory. I think it's probably the closest we've got. David, if you want to give the wifey a really special dinner, you'll need to polish up, get on your best behavior, and go into The Refectory with an open mind and an adventurous spirit. Don't figure on meat and potatoes or an endless salad bar. Feel free to ask questions of the server. Glance at the menu in advance so you have an idea of selection and prices. I don't think you'll regret it.

https://refectory.com/menus/

Clearly CR members have very different tastes in restaurants. No surprise there.

My "favorite restaurant" or the place I might think has the "best" food would not be the same place I would recommend for someone looking for a special occasion, romantic restaurant for a truly epic meal you remember for the rest of your life. Those places become legendary. Maxim's in Paris, Las Brisas in Laguna, and the Ritz at Newport Beach come to mind. Once upon a time, Columbus had Marzetti's downtown, but that left with the dinosaurs. Nothing in Columbus these days compares.

That said, I'm surprised no one has mentioned The Refectory. I think it's probably the closest we've got. David, if you want to give the wifey a really special dinner, you'll need to polish up, get on your best behavior, and go into The Refectory with an open mind and an adventurous spirit. Don't figure on meat and potatoes or an endless salad bar. Feel free to ask questions of the server. Glance at the menu in advance so you have an idea of selection and prices. I don't think you'll regret it.

The Refectory does have the best wine list in town...but I think getting into it would put you over your budget.

JAlexanders at Crosswoods has arguably the best bang-for-buck punch out of everything listed. You will have great service, amazing food for the price, and your wallet won't bleed when the bill comes.

-Marc

Shes mentioned the melting pot a couple times. I'm not big into fondue... what is there for a meat eater?

For meat, Hyde Park on the cap. For a more hip experience try Lindy's. For a unique upscale diner-style faire try Cap City.

Refectory is awesome. Agreed. Probably easiest way to empty your wallet though....

Refectory soups and salads are 5-10 bucks on average. Meat entrees run 35-45 mostly.

Stay away from the wines and two people can dine for 120 ...... is this really too much for a special celebration meal?

I would have guessed it was in line with Rodizio, M, Ruth's Chris, The Top, J. Alexander's. Admittedly, Cap City and a few of the other places mentioned would be cheaper.

Oh, Mom, it was so sweet of him. To celebrate my graduation from nursing school, he surprised me and took me out to a romantic dinner at Cap City. I had the best Maytag Blue Cheese Potato Chips and their signature Meatloaf, and David had the Blue Plate Special. They had the Cav's final home game of the season on the big screen next to us. It was perfect.

I'll throw Forno on the list. New place in German Village...all wood-fired food.

Great drinks, great food, AWESOME atmosphere. Very new-age dining.

I would recommend when making your reservation here that you specifically request dining in the dining area and not the bar so you have a little more room between tables and a little more privacy.

-Marc

One place I would add that I didn't see mentioned is The Sycamore in German Village. I've been quite a few times and honestly have yet to have a meal that wasn't amazing. I try something different everytime. http://thesycamoregv.com/ Reasonably priced. Great service. You can also try Milestone 229 right on the river downtown. It's another go to for our family.

Roosters.

/thread

Wife and I were in town for a wedding last weekend and we came a day early so we could have an evening out on Friday. Where was the one place she made sure we HAD to go? Roosters. I've picked a winner.

I'll throw Forno on the list. New place in German Village...all wood-fired food.

Great drinks, great food, AWESOME atmosphere. Very new-age dining.

I would recommend when making your reservation here that you specifically request dining in the dining area and not the bar so you have a little more room between tables and a little more privacy.

-Marc

I think you mean Short North.