Can you see the back hoe?

mrs.cos

Very impressive Bridge Camera for the money. The only real downsides are that it lacks RAW capability and the contrast detection based AF system. Otherwise, it's impressive and will get shots that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

I have an 800mm lens like the one in my avatar. Lugging that bad boy to anything isn't fun and once strapped to a capable body and fastened to a solid tripod, you're carrying nearly 17lbs and nearly $15k of gear with you.

This little Nikon can bring home some very usable images in the 2000-4000mm range. I've not picked one up yet, but for kicks might buy it. If anything it's fun to have :)

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/nikon-p900/nikon-p900A.HTM

IR always delivers solid information. Check out the samples. Keep in mind the 16mp size isn't something you're going to view at 100% unless you're printing poster size prints at 300ppi.

Here's are two samples of IR's images. The both were shot at an equiv. of 2000mm and is shown here in an equiv. to a what would be visible in terms of noise and detail on a 5x7 shot. Even an 8x10 wouldn't be much different if at all. Ask me how I know. I've taken even my 5DMKIII and cropped images crazy close even I would be hard pressed to pull the below off. Hand-held would be near impossible. However, a $600 consumer camera and a tiny 1/2.3" sensor did it.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/lisc0gxf_zpsn6kbb5ap.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj84/crms3er/Untitled-1_zpsu7jcxmlr.jpg

Ryan is right. Bridge cameras with HUGE zooms typically have less than stellar sensors. My Panny fz70 goes out to 1200mm. Unfortunately my cell phone probably has a better sensor than it does. I have to turn the ISO way up at any sort of distance which results in shitty images.

Ryan is right. Bridge cameras with HUGE zooms typically have less than stellar sensors. My Panny fz70 goes out to 1200mm. Unfortunately my cell phone probably has a better sensor than it does. I have to turn the ISO way up at any sort of distance which results in shitty images.

I politely disagree. 5 stops of IS is pretty strong and the quality of the images are less of an issue due to ISO than they are atmosphere interference. Anything shot at lengths greater than 1200mm without a tripod are going to require steady hands and some type of brace too.

Keep in mind too, many people tend to pixel peep too much. Sure it's nice when a large sensor SLR or Mirrorless can resolve the lens capability nicely but even on consumer models like the P900, rarely will anyone stand 1" from a poster print and view it at such a distance. View an image at full 1900 x 1080 and I bet you'd be hard pressed to dislike them. At that size which would be along the lines of an 13x19 printed if it looks stellar, so too will a corresponding print at say 260-300dpi. Noise shows far less in print form too.

The real irony is very few large prints like that are made anymore. Most are simply displayed online.

Edited by TTQ B4U

I need a good camera that's easy to use, without all the extra gear, lenses, etc. don't tell me to use my iPhone. I hate my iPhone's pics. Mainly for taking pics on vacation of the kids. Does this camera fit the bill?

I need a good camera that's easy to use, without all the extra gear, lenses, etc. don't tell me to use my iPhone. I hate my iPhone's pics. Mainly for taking pics on vacation of the kids. Does this camera fit the bill?

There are better ones. Are you okay with something that's not pocket-able? Vacations with family and kids, etc. usually lends itself to smaller higher quality gear. I picked up an Sony RX100 M3. Pricey for its size but it's one of the best that will easily fit in a pocket. 24-70mm range but top quality lens and sensor. The Panasonic LX100 is slightly better but it's also 1/3 larger.

If you want more reach with a medium say 200-400mm zoom, the Panasonic FZ1000 is a great choice.

The key to ultra super zooms like the P900 is you can actually get a shot that many won't even come close to getting. What it does best is reach and nothing touches it. Everything else it does is meh.....barely a 5/10 in those regards. I only want one because of it's reach capability. The largest DSLR Lens I carry regularly is my 400mm which on a crop body is 600mm.