Best donuts in Columbus?

Lauren

Scheinders in Westerville is terrible.

Destination donuts were amazing. We had chocolate bacon ones and raspberry something or another and they were delicious. Highly recommend. Also it was the first time I have ever been to north market before and that place rocks. I will be going there a lot more now that I know what it's about.

I was just there this morning with the gf. i was suprised they had a small selection considering its all they make but they were pretty good. We're gonna go to HCT for lunch but decided to try BareBurger across the street instead. It was ok but I've had better burgers elsewhere.

There are a lot of good food places in North Market, I personally do like Hot Chicken Takeover, chicken and waffles is my go to.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to get to the Lil Donut Factory (in Hilliard) early or call in an order early. They sell out quick and will close down the store when the donuts are gone. Seriously, you can roll in there at like 9:00 am and it's closed because all the donuts have been sold.

Resch's (in Whitehall) has had really good donuts for decades. Solid choice, don't think you'll be disappointed in the quality. It's kind of in a sketchy area, though.

As for the gourmet stuff, I don't have anything of value to offer other than maybe Piece of Cake in the Short North. I think they may have some gourmet stuff there.

I was just there this morning with the gf. i was suprised they had a small selection considering its all they make but they were pretty good. We're gonna go to HCT for lunch but decided to try BareBurger across the street instead. It was ok but I've had better burgers elsewhere.

There are a lot of good food places in North Market, I personally do like Hot Chicken Takeover, chicken and waffles is my go to.

The bareburger here is crap compared to its NYC sister store.

The bareburger here is crap compared to its NYC sister store.

The Bartender mentioned they had other stores in major cities like NY. I really like the atmosphere, seemed like a cool place to hang out and grab a beer. I thought it was more of a "5 guys" type of burger place but it was more of a "I grew the Kale on your burger in my home garden" kinda place. Had a wide variety of foods, toppings, and stuff some would consider gourmet.

You have to get to the Lil Donut Factory (in Hilliard) early or call in an order early. They sell out quick and will close down the store when the donuts are gone. Seriously, you can roll in there at like 9:00 am and it's closed because all the donuts have been sold.

I once showed up at 7:30. All the "good" donuts were GONE!!!!! Line was STILL out the door!

:thumbup:

KillJoy

Resch's (in Whitehall) has had really good donuts for decades. Solid choice, don't think you'll be disappointed in the quality. It's kind of in a sketchy area, though.

It is actually in Columbus, not Whitehall. Splitting hairs, but area is not a Hilliard or Dublin that's for sure. But we've been going there for over 30 yrs ( at that location) and it hasn't been an issue. It does get super busey so go early. They use to never accept cards as payment only check or cash, but cc is accepted and check no longer.

Excellent German bakery

No love for Jolly Pirate in here??

When I first moved here I read jolly pirate was a top place so I had to go try it, I was severely let down. The only cool thing is the treasure chest box that the donuts come in.

Actually I think the best donut I have had is at the gas station across the street from worthington hills country club on 315. I'm pretty sure it's a BP and they get their donuts from an Amish baker. The custard filling was out of this world good.

When I first moved here I read jolly pirate was a top place so I had to go try it, I was severely let down. The only cool thing is the treasure chest box that the donuts come in.

Actually I think the best donut I have had is at the gas station across the street from worthington hills country club on 315. I'm pretty sure it's a BP and they get their donuts from an Amish baker. The custard filling was out of this world good.

Jolly pirate sucks. I'll bet the gas station gets them from Der Dutchmen in plain city. Reschs is good, one of the guys from work brings them in way to often. Nothing fancy like you were asking for, but just good doughnuts.

It is actually in Columbus, not Whitehall. Splitting hairs, but area is not a Hilliard or Dublin that's for sure. But we've been going there for over 30 yrs ( at that location) and it hasn't been an issue. It does get super busey so go early. They use to never accept cards as payment only check or cash, but cc is accepted and check no longer.

Excellent German bakery

Yeah, I agree, you are splitting hairs and, I think, making it less descriptive, not more, when you say it's in Columbus. If someone asked you where this bakery is located and you said "in Columbus," then that could mean it could be located in Victorian Village, the Short North, Harrison West, the Arena District, the Brewery District, Milo Grogan, the Discovery District, the King Lincoln District, German Village, the South End, or the Linden area, not to mention about 25 other neighborhoods or districts.

Technically, Resch's might have a Columbus address, but it's in the Whitehall area. And that's more descriptive for the OP than saying, "It's in Columbus."

As for the gourmet stuff, I don't have anything of value to offer other than maybe Piece of Cake in the Short North. I think they may have some gourmet stuff there.

I've had Resch's and the place is awesome, and sadly about the only thing worth talking about on the east side.

I'll have to try these others you guys are talking about.

So- FYI for those who like breakfast food, there is a great blogger here in town named nick.

Hes got a book as well.

His food reviews will make you hungry for biscuits and gravy.

http://www.breakfastwithnick.com/list-of-reviews/

If we're talking about breakfast / brunch spots this place is GREAT ...

http://www.breakfastwithnick.com/2015/10/29/cray-eatery-drinkery-columbus/

ate here a few weeks ago and everything was great, bloody marys were tasty too.

Is a gourmet doughnut one of those things where people mix weird flavors and create a shitty tasting product, but consumers pretend to like it because it makes them feel fancy?

Is a gourmet doughnut one of those things where people mix weird flavors and create a shitty tasting product, but consumers pretend to like it because it makes them feel fancy?

OP stated Maple Bacon..... so... ???

Personally, I like them.

:)

KillJoy

OP stated Maple Bacon..... so... ???

Personally, I like them.

:)

KillJoy

I mean you can get Maple Bacon at Donut World in Lancaster. I wouldnt call those gourmet or anything

We also got sea salt and butterscotch which tastes exactly like a original Krispy Kreme and some fancy raspberry thing that was the best.

The bacon donuts we got from destination donut I wouldn't recommend. They used dark bitter chocolate and bacon. Not very good. I would give Destination donut a solid 3 out of 5. And at $3 per donut they aren't that great. I couldn't believe 6 donuts was like $20.

The search will continue after thanksgiving for the best donut in the area .....stay tuned