Update: Link added. Selling my house myself questions

BigOxley

Seems like there was some interest, here is the zillow link

http://www.zillow.com/homes/916-Oxley-Rd-Columbus-OH-43212_rb/?fromHomePage=true&shouldFireSellPageImplicitClaimGA=false&fromHomePageTab=buy

I'm posting this as i'm walking out the door, so it'll be short.

I'm thinking about putting my house on the market, I'll be leaving the country for several months and don't want to have to worry about it / pay for it while i'm gone. The house's value has increased almost $100k since I purchased in June 2008 so i'd be nice to get the cash back out of it. Here is a house that is a bit smaller than my place that sold for $331K http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/837-Oxley-Rd-Columbus-OH-43212/33965639_zpid/

Most of the big stuff is taken care of, new roof, new siding, new furnace-a/c, bathroom remodel, kitchen is newish also.

A couple of co-workers have sold their houses using only a real estate lawyer and have had success without using realtors, but I haven't talked to them in depth about it.

Anything big things i should consider before I take on the responsibility on selling myself?

Edited by BigOxley

Also something to keep in mind is realtors will cut deals sometimes where they take a lower commission on selling yours to be your agent when you buy the next one. If someone took 1.5 or 2% is it worth the risk and hassle doing it yourself? I also have a coworker who does it himself and swears it's the way to go. On the other hand it's great to not have to deal with photos, ads, contracts, legal, schedules, staging and just hand those off for someone else to deal with.

Time

Depends. Once you find a buyer doesnt take long at all. Yes it can take long to find a buyer, but that can be the same with a realator

This is how we did it. Was a friend selling so we both saved a crap ton of money doing it with out a realtor.

leaving in +/- 6 months. houses in my neighborhood sold over summer were off the market in about a week. I was going to shoot for a June 1st occupancy.

Houses where I live often sell themselves.

I don't want to sell too early because I don't want to have to worry about finding an apartment for a few months.

My wife is an experienced R/E attorney. While she doesn't do title insurance anymore, she was asking if you need help in lieu of an agent?

Awesome, I was going to try and use the guy that my co-workers used, but yeah I definitely like her info if she can help out. pm me with details

leaving in +/- 6 months. houses in my neighborhood sold over summer were off the market in about a week. I was going to shoot for a June 1st occupancy.

Houses where I live often sell themselves.

I don't want to sell too early because I don't want to have to worry about finding an apartment for a few months.

Where you live, you would have no problem selling your house. You can find the comps for your neighborhood pretty easily.

being under a time constraint, i'd be more apt to go with a reputable realtor though, so things are done when you need them to be done by.

Awesome, I was going to try and use the guy that my co-workers used, but yeah I definitely like her info if she can help out. pm me with details

Call me. I can help with the vast majority of this for free and hook you up with the title company to save you cash.

-Marc

Im looking to buy a house. Where are you located and where can I find info on the house?

He is where he is (and so am I) :p But when it comes to finding info on any house, the relevant county auditor's website (e.g. Franklin), combined with Zillow, are great places to start.

Call me. I can help with the vast majority of this for free and hook you up with the title company to save you cash.

-Marc

thanks Marc, i'll give you a call

Im looking to buy a house. Where are you located and where can I find info on the house?

Grandview Heights near Marshall's/the elementary school. i'll shoot you a PM with the zillow link.

thanks Marc, i'll give you a call

Grandview Heights near Marshall's/the elementary school. i'll shoot you a PM with the zillow link.

PM me the link as well. I am looking to stay in Grandview. I live right up off northwest and oxley.

I wish you luck with your sale. For all the time, hassle, etc, its probably worth getting a realtor and letting them handle it.

That being said comparables in that area are all over the map. Some places sold for as little as 110k last year, and others have sold for nearly 300k. Obviously condition and updates probably dictate these differences. If you do sell yourself, be sure to get good high resolution photos of the house and upsell the features. Take the time to make the listing perfect. Don't list all the bad things, but explain what you know if its asked.

If you get photos up I'd like to take another peek, so will wait for that update.

As others have stated finding a buyer is going to be the hard part. I know I would never be interested in a little city house like that. Nothing wrong with it, just not my preference.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish you luck with your sale. For all the time, hassle, etc, its probably worth getting a realtor and letting them handle it.

That being said comparables in that area are all over the map. Some places sold for as little as 110k last year, and others have sold for nearly 300k. Obviously condition and updates probably dictate these differences. If you do sell yourself, be sure to get good high resolution photos of the house and upsell the features. Take the time to make the listing perfect. Don't list all the bad things, but explain what you know if its asked.

If you get photos up I'd like to take another peek, so will wait for that update.

As others have stated finding a buyer is going to be the hard part. I know I would never be interested in a little city house like that. Nothing wrong with it, just not my preference.

Thanks, yeah I don't want to take new pics right now because winter makes everything look shitty. I have some from the appraisal last summer but they aren't the best quality.

I had a buddy talk to his realtor friend about me. She said she might take me on for a 1% commission if I agree to buy my next house through her. She was a bit hesitant because I wasn't buying my next place immediately.

Thanks, yeah I don't want to take new pics right now because winter makes everything look shitty. I have some from the appraisal last summer but they aren't the best quality.

I had a buddy talk to his realtor friend about me. She said she might take me on for a 1% commission if I agree to buy my next house through her. She was a bit hesitant because I wasn't buying my next place immediately.

Honestly this is where hiring someone who specializes in Real Estate Photography pays off.

Winter doesnt make things look shitty, shitty photos make everything look shitty.