Buying a house advice

Lauren

My parents are looking for houses currently, and they have looked at about 20 houses. They liked about 5 of them, all of them went into contract either right after, or during their viewings.

The market is crazy, has been for about a year. Good luck.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the way they did a tax abatement to kickstart the development. I believe all neighborhoods are phased moreso than most (rather than 3 phases they have 8) and the tax abatement changes per phase.

That's crazy... we were literally looking at houses where the taxes were 16-18K per year... Then, found our dream house (same price) and the taxes were 22.5K per year. I can't stomach 2K/month in taxes.

My parents are looking for houses currently, and they have looked at about 20 houses. They liked about 5 of them, all of them went into contract either right after, or during their viewings.

The market is crazy, has been for about a year. Good luck.

Made an offer for asking price for my house the day it was listed and they came back wanting more. Market is nuts.

Also a lot of the new developments in worthington are poorly built imo and the houses are 2 feet apart.

I would wonder why it has been on the market so long. If I remember right houses are averaging 45 days for a sale.

Also if not in public school I would look right outside of those suburbs. Why take the tax hot for the schools?

From "In contract" to "sold" is 45 days typically.

Are these, like, million dollar houses? I'm paying like 7k in UA and I thought that was a lot.

$2800/yr and I'm in Westerville school district. I'll never bitch again when there is a $2-300/yr increase.

then again, my house is definitely not in the same range as what's being mentioned in this thread.

$2800/yr and I'm in Westerville school district. I'll never bitch again when there is a $2-300/yr increase.

then again, my house is definitely not in the same range as what's being mentioned in this thread.

Wow, that seems cheap! We're in col city schools (kids are still babies) and paying $4,500 for a 2900 sq ft house....

85 acres in BFE Kentucky = $159.24 no "improvements" though, just timber.

Back to the OP's original topic. Worthington mostly nice, I'm sure it has it's iffy pocket here or there but none come to mind. Blendon Township(Huber Ridge) is inside/outside 270, close to Cleveland & Shrock and might meet your "ethnic" requirements but the taxes are meh for not using Westerville Schools and water is clear and tasty but 3-20x more (not joking) than most surrounding municipal water bills. I would suggests as others have, see if you can find something with Columbus taxes on the edge of those areas. There are some pockets in New Albany that are Columbus taxes and Schools but are newer nice houses/neighbor hoods.

6k in lewis center Near alum creek(Delaware county). I am 15-20 minutes from my house to Westerville/270 (less if your more north of this) even in traffic in the morning.

Amazing area, awesome schools(this doesn't matter to you) quiet. No apartments at all here, and No bus line. Taxes aren't too bad since im in berlin township technically deleware county

We live and have family/friends that live in or on the edge of Bexley and it's very nice. Look at Eastmoor if you don't need schools. Taxes are ~4K annually. I work at Easton and there's no traffic morning or night as your going the opposite way of most people trying to get into downtown. I lived up at Sawmill/270 about 10 years ago and hated it then, now I dread the handful of times I have to get up that way because of the traffic.

My only house buying tip is to start out with 20% down so you can avoid the PMI. And pay your own taxes. Don't let a escrow company hold your money for free. There is zero benefit to escrowing your taxes unless you are completely financially irresponsible, which I gather is not the case.

As far as taxes, I'm near Canton (3 hrs from cbus) and my taxes are 3k annually.

Are these, like, million dollar houses? I'm paying like 7k in UA and I thought that was a lot.

Lost count of how many times I'd hear the comments pre-Recession about UA having such high taxes. Then, everyone built 2, 3, and 4 high schools during the R/E boom out in these farm-suburbs and now the taxes are 1.5-2x for a shittier-built house and neighborhood. My SiL lives in New Albany Farms...awesome house and I do like the area, but her annual property taxes are ridic.

At 37, I have an understandably jaded opinion at building 20-30 miles out from downtown Columbus, when growing up in Cleveland the same thing happened in the '70s and '80s with disastrous results by the '00s decade. "White flight" is unfortunately real in Columbus...you'd think we would learn by now.

Greg, I will say that we need to get ready for the next 15 years. The "Master Planning" public sessions are going on for UA and they're likely going to need $196 Million to redo Hastings Middle School and the high school with all new buildings. Several of the elementary schools are going to get major renovations. Many of the buildings were built 50-60 years ago and while they are still serviceable, they need to be updated.

Total estimated cost will be announced in February when board recommendations are submitted, but I've heard totals of $400/yr increase per household. :lol: Yeah, I've got no problem paying that.

EDIT: To OP's question, I cannot speak much about specific neighborhoods, but if you're at Cleveland/Shrock, you can't go wrong with focusing in on Westerville.

Edited by zeitgeist57

Yeah seriously...

A 3.3 Mill home here on the lake is under 9k a year in taxes.....

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Mooresville/116-Nautical-Point-Ct-28117/home/44362975

Since we're in the property tax subject, can some body shed some light on why Columbus have such high property tax? In Honolulu, a million dollar home is less than $3k in property tax. A million dollar home in Columbus, you are looking at least $20k in property tax.