Riding mower Questions

SRTurbo04

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is not one valid reason on why you shouldn't spend your money on a Deere. Unlike cars there is no debate to be had. You either have the best or you don't...

Aren't there some cheaply made "Deere's" sold by the big box stores that aren't the same quality as the real JD?

Aren't there some cheaply made "Deere's" sold by the big box stores that aren't the same quality as the real JD?

Everything under 2k is going to be a 5-7 year mower and it will be falling apart.

You will need to step up to the mid grade/commercial grade if you want it to last.

Working form MTD myself, I can attest all entry level riding tractors are garbage. I wouldn't waste my money on one.

IMo the best true zero turn mower (used simply as a grass cutter, not plowing or digging) would be the Z-Force S or the Tank S. Syncrosteer makes zero trns a breeze and you wont turf your lawn up. Lap bar units take a lot of practice to get right, so I always suggest the steering mowers to people who don't have a lot of commercial experience with a lapbar unit.

I saw a Z-force S for sale the other day used for 1800. that is a solid 20 year mower if you take care of it.

Make your wife mow the lawn while you sit on the porch drinking a beer?

This

Seriously though, go green and yellow. A used commercial unit, not the residential stamped frame junk at the box stores.

I mow 7-10 acres a week with my JD 737, 60" deck. Over 800 hours on it so far, just keep things greased and it keeps going. Oh, and synthetic lube. Complete overkill for your yard, but you would probably be done before you beer could get warm.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/5443802686.html

Vintage, tried my best to kill one growing up, i did not succeed. Only got rid of it for a bigger mower. My cousin bought it, still mows with it.

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/5479589022.html

Got a 316 to replace the 110. The hydro was tough as nails. I snapped the safety bolt in the drive shaft between the engine and hydro pump twice cranking on the hydro control stick trying to drift it. Pumps never even complained.

Of course, i cant vouch for the condition of these particular units, only my past experiences with the same model.

No love for the big cub cadets? My dad has a GT2000 or GT2500 I think it is, and it's very beefy. Driveshaft instead of belt driven too.

LOL "Big cub cadets"

Those are in the "garbage" category IMO. Step up to a Z-Force or Tank and you will see a very large difference.

I agree with the previous comment. lightly used Commercial equipment is a much better investment than new residential equipment. They build to suit a price point, not a need.

Also the whole time aspect. When my father bought a tank lapbar unit, he was baffled at the time savings

Same half acre yard

21" push mower - 1hr 30min

42" JD garden tractor - 40min

60" Cub Tank LZ - 15min

What is your time worth?

LOL "Big cub cadets"

Those are in the "garbage" category IMO. Step up to a Z-Force or Tank and you will see a very large difference.

You're comparing zero turns to garden tractors, matey. Good luck plowing snow or towing a yard trailer with a zero turn. There is value in the tractors for somebody NOT mowing commercially.

Ok so i dont need one of those fancy zero turn mowers that every one seems to ask about.

You're comparing zero turns to garden tractors, matey. Good luck plowing snow or towing a yard trailer with a zero turn. There is value in the tractors for somebody NOT mowing commercially.

Yes as stated in the first post I am not looking for a zero turn, not for this small of area. I am looking to use it for other things other then just basic mowing as I go along.

the other side of the coin is the availability of parts and ease of working on the yard tractors....that's why I wasn't that dead set against an MTD mower when I bought mine. I've worked on mowers in the past and they're pretty simple to work on and parts are normally pretty cheap.

Owned a John Deere LT155 and helped my dad with maintenance with it for about 17 years. Other than oil and blade changes we had minimal problems with it and every problem we had could be fixed using the online diagrams. I think John Deere uses Kohler motors if you can find a similar model with one.

Mine has a hitch, and a tire swap from turf to bars makes the snow move nicely. Kinda sad I didn't get to plow shit this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Well was gonna just buy a used rig, but said f it. Went and bought a John Deere D105 suits my lawn well. Had it delivered friday so i havent been able to use it yet due to snowing . JD has a price fix on these so there the same price where ever you go. But after playing the credit card bonus game, and free gas from giant eagle by getting home depot gift cards. I saved( or earned which ever way you want to look at it) 300$ JACKPOT!

Dont mind the clutter, im currently rearranging garage.

Great lookin machine! Excited to get out there and mow some grass? :gabe:

Sadly yes, I love moving my lawn, but hate to push mow that crap. My grass grows quick enough where depending on the weather it might need mowed 2 or 3 times a week. I will happily do it now. Will have a drink with an umbrella in it, and headphones in with some spice girls on, you know JAMMIN! :lol:

Edited by Paul

Sadly yes, I love moving my lawn, but hate to push mow that crap. My grass grows quick enough where depending on the weather it might need mowed 2 or 3 times a week. I will happily do it now drink with an umbrella in it, and headphones in with some spice girls on, you know JAMMIN! :lol:

:funny:

Your Mom spoiled you with the riding mower huh? Looks cool, I guess since you drive that grandpa car you need some excitment in your life. I bet your car and mower have about the same power to weight ratio.

No, she spoiled him with the house. Lawnmower was up to him