Where to shop for a clean Fox

excell

Gotta pay to play...

I have no problem paying, but they have that listed at $18k on their website (http://www.moxeemusclecars.com/1989_Ford_Mustang%20Saleen_Moxee_WA_256374940.veh) which is nearly Terminator money. Prolly could call then up and offer $15k cash but still more than I really want to spend. My budget is up to 10k. I spend $10k or less I'll be much more compelled to drive whatever I buy rather than park it in the garage and rub it with a diaper. I want a toy, not a show piece, so I gotta temper my spend to that thinking.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10k with that description? I wouldn't give him a bucket of warm piss.

Then again, I did buy that 69.....

Yea, I asked for more pics, history, VIN, and what spare parts/original wheels he/she has. I'll bet I don't get a response. :) But it's in Pittsburgh, so not a loss if he/she does send and I go up to inspect it. Also, wouldn't offer 10k unless it was a true diamond in the rough. But I would pay it, if it is.

Yea, I asked for more pics, history, VIN, and what spare parts/original wheels he/she has. I'll bet I don't get a response. :) But it's in Pittsburgh, so not a loss if he/she does send and I go up to inspect it. Also, wouldn't offer 10k unless it was a true diamond in the rough. But I would pay it, if it is.

The wheels alone say "I am not a diamond in the rough".

Why the eff would that Pittsburgh one need a new interior? Did they leave the top down in a leaky garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strangely enough, I've been asking myself this. I don't know if it's age or what, but a significant amount of really nice exterior four eyes have the interior replaced for what appears to be no good reason. I'm sure there's a reason... shitty materials that don't age well or something. But I am very surprised how many have replaced interiors...

That thing is awesome. #SERIOUS :o

Do eet.

My wife said "it looks kinda boxy..." she's not wrong. She also didn't comment that it's 'I'm a drunken high school girl' yellow...

So why are the 05-10 cars so cheap? Is the 3v 4.6 that undesirable? I'm finding these things with less than 50k miles for under $15k. Never considered them because I thought they'd be out of my desired budget, but unless it's a GT500 they seem like good deals. What am I missing? Did the quality suck or something?

So why are the 05-10 cars so cheap? Is the 3v 4.6 that undesirable? I'm finding these things with less than 50k miles for under $15k. Never considered them because I thought they'd be out of my desired budget, but unless it's a GT500 they seem like good deals. What am I missing? Did the quality suck or something?

They are fat, LS-chassis-based cows that are fully depreciated, but not classics . . . owned by people that want a Mustang but don't wrench and need to have local shops be able to work on it cheaply.

They are fat, LS-chassis-based cows that are fully depreciated, but not classics . . . owned by people that want a Mustang but don't wrench and need to have local shops be able to work on it cheaply.

lol. Succinct. LS chassis, as in the Lincoln LS?

LS chassis is overselling it a bit don't ya think clay? The only thing it kept from the DEW98 platform was the floor sheet metal, the trans tunnel, the fuel tank, and the front frame rails. All the suspension stuff is different (with the front struts and rear trailing arms coming from the C1 ford focus platform).

It's still fat and everybody seems to hate the 4.6 but it isn't like it's a bad car. They are just getting into 3rd and 4th owners which means high school kids right now so the likelihood of getting a ragged out one or deferred maint is high.

If you feel like you need to pay more than $15K for a s197, go try and buy a Bullitt edition. Nothing really "special" beyond a stock GT but still over $20K for one.

I don't really get they appeal of the fox body but then again I remember them as new cars driven by guidos from queens, low grade coke dealers, and vanilla ice wannabes. The only one I ever thought was special was the 1986 black saleen a buddy of mine drove in high school (around 1992 and he still owns it) and the mclaren's that two of my friend's fathers drove.

LS chassis is overselling it a bit don't ya think clay? The only thing it kept from the DEW98 platform was the floor sheet metal, the trans tunnel, the fuel tank, and the front frame rails. All the suspension stuff is different (with the front struts and rear trailing arms coming from the C1 ford focus platform).

It's still fat and everybody seems to hate the 4.6 but it isn't like it's a bad car. They are just getting into 3rd and 4th owners which means high school kids right now so the likelihood of getting a ragged out one or deferred maint is high.

If you feel like you need to pay more than $15K for a s197, go try and buy a Bullitt edition. Nothing really "special" beyond a stock GT but still over $20K for one.

Helpful. :) I don't need/want to pay more than $10k. I'm looking for a toy. If I wanted to pay more, I'd get a Terminator and be done with it. I paid so little attention to the evolution of the Mustang since 1995 that I'm trying to re-cover my bases while looking.

I don't really get they appeal of the fox body but then again I remember them as new cars driven by guidos from queens, low grade coke dealers, and vanilla ice wannabes.

I laughed out loud. I had an 88 LX, my family has always had them and I just like them. In my ideal world I end up with a decent 85 or 86 GT t-tops or convertible, but I'm not limiting options yet hence why I asked about the 05-10's.

A toy to do what though? I can see the appeal of a Fox body as a budget street strip car but you seem to be looking for a nice stock one to preserve? To that end I think taking the time and looking for a really rare or interesting car benefits you (a dark green LX 5.0 5 speed, or a mclaren, or an svo turbo 4 or something like that).

From a "collectible" or "special" toy standpoint where you just want to keep it mostly stock (maybe some bolt ons) and still stand out - I think the SN95 Mach 1s are the real bargain right now. I see a lot of them around $10K (and a lot of them riced or ragged) and they are unique, sharp, and a pretty decent car. I mean, if you are considering a terminator then you probably don't hate the sn95 platform. I mean I wouldn't expect a 20k mileage original for that price but with modern cars 100K miles isn't as "scary" as it used to be.

for example:

http://wheeling.craigslist.org/cto/5592761312.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ctd/5570093256.html

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5567360132.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5561427581.html

you could also look for an SN95 bullett:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5600952175.html

A toy to do what though? I can see the appeal of a Fox body as a budget street strip car but you seem to be looking for a nice stock one to preserve? To that end I think taking the time and looking for a really rare or interesting car benefits you (a dark green LX 5.0 5 speed, or a mclaren, or an svo turbo 4 or something like that).

From a "collectible" or "special" toy standpoint where you just want to keep it mostly stock (maybe some bolt ons) and still stand out - I think the SN95 Mach 1s are the real bargain right now. I see a lot of them around $10K (and a lot of them riced or ragged) and they are unique, sharp, and a pretty decent car. I mean, if you are considering a terminator then you probably don't hate the sn95 platform. I mean I wouldn't expect a 20k mileage original for that price but with modern cars 100K miles isn't as "scary" as it used to be.

for example:

http://wheeling.craigslist.org/cto/5592761312.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/ctd/5570093256.html

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5567360132.html

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/5561427581.html

you could also look for an SN95 bullett:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5600952175.html

You and Clay do have a point. "Toy" as in something I can beat on, put kids in and not care if they spill shit in the back seat, etc. but still a nice cruiser. Then get rid of it in a few years and start over. The late model SN95/new edge cars are dirt cheap. I wish they made the Mach 1 cars in a convertible, always liked them. Warming to the idea of picking one up with some miles and tossing a blower on it. Or hell, now that I look, the 99 and 01-02 Cobra's are a pretty good deal too.

Edited by excell

You and Clay do have a point. "Toy" as in something I can beat on, put kids in and not care if they spill shit in the back seat, etc. but still a nice cruiser. Then get rid of it in a few years and start over. The late model SN95/new edge cars are dirt cheap. I wish they made the Mach 1 cars in a convertible, always liked them. .

That's exactly what I did and why I wanted one. Have an 04 Mach 1 being delivered from Florida on Thursday and spent about 6 months looking for one as I wanted a decent shape one that ran well, had the exact options I wanted and was a price I will to pay and not one jacked up by ten k because it's a MACH 1....only one of so many made, yadda yadda. Yeah they are nice and I like em but it's not like a truly RARE car. And in the end, it's a Mustang GT with different trim package and a Cobra 4v engine.

A regular GT would be even cheaper and much easier to find.

I think Chris was already looking at that yellow one?

I'm more of a "modded" buyer (CTS-V, BMW): when I see that a car is done up with things I'd want - lowered, intake/exhaust, tint, etc - and the price is not far out of the market for stock examples of the same car, that's a good buy to me.

LOL - sounds like a chassis to me. :lol: If you want me to get technical, I'll amend my statement that the '05-'10 is based on the Lincoln LS chassis.