College Football 2016/17

Lauren

I think the idea is that if you're the champ you'll be good enough to beat any of the three anyway, so it doesn't matter. Also, earning the number one spot is rewarded with playing the lesser of the two. Kinda like when top seeds get a bye.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think OSU would go to B1G Championship if we lose to wisconsin? I don't think we would, MI would right? Good food for thought either way though

No, OSU would go to the CG. They would go into the Michigan game with a 7-1 B1G record and Michigan would have an 8-0 B1G record going into the game. Ohio State beats Michigan so they both end with 8-1 B1G records. Ohio State wins the first tie breaker which is head to head.

Or Michigan wins *Gasp*

JT better complete some passes vs scUM, and not play as he did vs IU.

I think if Michigan was there that day instead of IU, Michigan would have walked out of there with a W. JT had a pretty bad 2nd half throwing the ball.

In any case I think this years game is finally gonna live up to the hype. Been a while since scUM seemed legit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bamas D is just nasty.

Almost as good as tOSU's. :gabe:

I think you have to have some rose colored glass to continue to say the B1G is the best conference.

1) They're scarlet colored *glasses.

2) The second biggest delusional 'Bama homer completely disagrees.

I don't think any conference is truly dominating another this year. Every conference has one or two really good teams and then everybody else. It will be a fun bowl season though to see which conference fairs the best as a whole.

Uh oh. Someone can no longer cheer an entire conference and has to focus on just their team. SEC is unraveling. It's all cyclical. The main difference is, through the "SEC dominance" that was the 2000's+, one other team remained extremely relevant. Also, feel free to peruse this at your leisure.

The only game I would care about would be Ohio St/Alabama. All the other games I do not care enough to think about matching them up. I would still watch all of them however.

As far as play off alignment I think it should go

Alabama

Ohio st

Clemson

Washington.

Bama/Washington and Ohio st/Clemson

This would set up either a round two of sugar bowl( which should have been national championships game) or a Clemson Bama rematch. A semi of Ohio st and Bama would be terrible for ratings

Someone is looking to walk into the championship game. Earn it. Stop having it handed to you.

Trolls gonna troll I suppose. bosashrug.jpg

And actually why everyone thought that game should have been the championship. In my scenario, that's likely how it would have played out. Bama vs Fl state and Oregan vs OSU in the bowl games. In my eyes, in doing this you make #4 prove they deserve to play #1, by beating #2 first.

Lol, what? Do you not remember that year? Until Cardale took over, OSU was just kinda coasting. Took us 2OT to beat a mediocre Penn State team. Oregon was obliterating their opponents. Everyone was expecting the past-due Alabama vs. Oregon matchup in the championship. Going into the finals, everyone thought Oregon was going to mop the floor with tOSU.

Hindsight is 20/20, and sure I agree that was the single best game of the playoff, but the playoff was set exactly how it should have been. It's nobody's fault reigning champ, undefeated FSU shit the bed in the semis.

Lol, what? Do you not remember that year? Until Cardale took over, OSU was just kinda coasting. Took us 2OT to beat a mediocre Penn State team. Oregon was obliterating their opponents. Everyone was expecting the past-due Alabama vs. Oregon matchup in the championship. Going into the finals, everyone thought Oregon was going to mop the floor with tOSU.

Hindsight is 20/20, and sure I agree that was the single best game of the playoff, but the playoff was set exactly how it should have been. It's nobody's fault reigning champ, undefeated FSU shit the bed in the semis.

I don't think that was the case. I remember it being about 50/50. We gained a lot of respect after what we did to a great Alabama team.

A few thoughts:

- Even mediocre Penn State teams are difficult to beat at Happy Valley at night.

- The Alabama game shouldn't have been even as close as it was. If you remember, Ohio State kind of sputtered around for the majority of the first half and couldn't get the ball into the end zone early on. Alabama is lucky that game didn't get out of hand for them. That score could have easily have been what Ohio State did to Oregon.

- Cardale's arm strength and ability to hit Devin Smith and others vertically way down the field - and our receivers ability to catch well - was probably the X factor that made everything coalesce during Ohio State's playoff run. This donned on me as I watched JT underthrow receivers during the Indiana game. Once the defense was stretched because of the vertical threat, it opened up plenty of room for Elliott to bust huge rooms and huge scrambles from Cardale (which were particularly instrumental in the Alabama game).

Cardale made Smith and Elliott lots of money during that playoff run. Devin had a knack for catching long TD's but he really shined once there was a qb who could toss bombs (Think Wisconsin game).

As for being mediocre that year, JT was on fire until he got injured in the Michigan game. They averaged 44 points a game that year in the regular season haha. The only games that were close were the loss to Va Tech, Penn State and a 7 point victory over Minnesota. Other than that the next closes margain of victory was 12 points to Michigan St.

I am now retracting my statement of "this game will be closer than many want it to be" as I am fully preparing to see Wisconsin get their assholes gapped after these comments:

"Jeremy Birmingham @Birm

DB coach at Wisconsin says their offense is “simple” and implies Noah Brown is slow. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/17772695/sitting-wisconsin-badgers-dbs-meeting

11:42 AM - 12 Oct 2016

Wisconsin RB coach also talked shit about Buckeye RB and former Badger commit Antonio Williams:

"There's a reason he's not here," running backs coach John Settle said. "We talk about smart, tough dependable. If a guy doesn't fit that criteria, he wouldn't do well in this environment."

Hello 59-0!

Oddly, I'm worried less about this game because it's away than if it was at home. Maybe it's just me, but I swear Ohio State has played better on the road in big/night names than at home in the BCS era. I need to fact check that.

Here's the home ones I could find

1999: UCLA (Win)

2001: Northwestern (Win)

2002:

2003: Washington (Win)

2004:

2005: Texas (Loss)

2006:

2007:

2008: Penn State (Loss) I was at this game :(

2009: USC (Loss)

2010: Marshall (Win) Was a Thursday night game...

2011: Wisconsin (Win by 4) Braxton Hail Mary play

2012: Nebraska (Win)

2013: Wisconsin (Win by 7), Penn State (Win)

2014: Va Tech (Loss), Cincy (Win) Illinois (Win)

2015: Penn State (Win) Minnesota (Win)

12-4 if my math is right at home game held at night since 99

Here's the home ones I could find

1999: UCLA (Win)

2001: Northwestern (Win)

2002:

2003: Washington (Win)

2004:

2005: Texas (Loss)

2006:

2007:

2008: Penn State (Loss) I was at this game :(

2009: USC (Loss)

2010: Marshall (Win) Was a Thursday night game...

2011: Wisconsin (Win by 4) Braxton Hail Mary play

2012: Nebraska (Win)

2013: Wisconsin (Win by 7), Penn State (Win)

2014: Va Tech (Loss), Cincy (Win) Illinois (Win)

2015: Penn State (Win) Minnesota (Win)

12-3 if my math is right at home game held at night since 99

I was at both the 2008 Penn State game and the 2009 USC game. You can blame me for both.

I was also at the 2011 Wisconsin Hail Mary game. You can thank me for that win.

In 2007, we lost at home to stupid Illinois.

I remember away losses to Wisconsin in 2003 (that's when our linebacker choked their QB), Penn State in 2005 (that was back when they started the White Outs at Penn State and it was actually really intimidating/cool), and Michigan in 2004 (though it was not a night game).

1998: West Virginia (Win)

2000: Arizona (Win)

2001: Minnesota (Win)

2002: Northwestern (Win)

2003: Wisconsin (Loss)

2004: Northwestern (Loss)

2005: Penn State (Loss)

2006: Texas (Win) Iowa (Win)

2007: Minnesota (Win) Purdue (Win) Penn State (Win)

2008: USC (Loss)

2009: Indiana (Win)

2010: Wisconsin (Loss)

2011: Miami (Loss) Nebraska (Loss)

2012: Indiana (Win)

2013: Northwestern (Win)

2014: Penn State (Win)

2015: Va Tech (Win) Rutgers (Win)

2016: Oklahoma (Win)

16-7 on the road

I was at both the 2008 Penn State game and the 2009 USC game. You can blame me for both.

I was also at the 2011 Wisconsin Hail Mary game. You can thank me for that win.

In 2007, we lost at home to stupid Illinois.

I remember away losses to Wisconsin in 2003 (that's when our linebacker choked their QB), Penn State in 2005 (that was back when they started the White Outs at Penn State and it was actually really intimidating/cool), and Michigan in 2004 (though it was not a night game).

That 2007 Illinois game. The Illini running back fumbled through the endzone and everyone saw it except the refs and Tressel. From that point on I knew we were fucked. On the bright side, Rockin at Riverwatch went on until like 11:30 that night and we all got smashed there and had a great time.

I was at the 2011 Wisconsin game as well, up until 2014 my wife was angry at me over it. I gave her ticket to my buddy who had never gone to an OSU game. We ended up on the field, needless to say it was a bad idea to call and brag to her about that. 2014 we ended up on the field at the Michigan game on her birthday, so all was forgiven.

1998: West Virginia (Win)

2000: Arizona (Win)

2001: Minnesota (Win)

2002: Northwestern (Win)

2003: Wisconsin (Loss)

2004: Northwestern (Loss)

2005: Penn State (Loss)

2006: Texas (Win) Iowa (Win)

2007: Minnesota (Win) Purdue (Win) Penn State (Win)

2008: USC (Loss)

2009: Indiana (Win)

2010: Wisconsin (Loss)

2011: Miami (Loss) Nebraska (Loss)

2012: Indiana (Win)

2013: Northwestern (Win)

2014: Penn State (Win)

2015: Va Tech (Win) Rutgers (Win)

2016: Oklahoma (Win)

16-7 on the road

Didn't we lose at UCLA in or around 2000 or 2001?

That 2007 Illinois game. The Illini running back fumbled through the endzone and everyone saw it except the refs and Tressel. From that point on I knew we were fucked. On the bright side, Rockin at Riverwatch went on until like 11:30 that night and we all got smashed there and had a great time.

Duuuuuuuude I was SCREAMING that Tressel needed to challenge that call (the fumble out of the endzone that everyone missed). That was really early on in the ballgame, and I think everyone's mentality was like, "Oh, this is just lowly Illinois - it won't matter in the end because they'll roll over and die soon enough." And Juice Williams pretty much converted every third down known to man that game on scrambles.