Helmet/hans device questions

The_buster

The wife and I had a date night at Grand Prix Karting the other night. We had a blast, they were dead and it was just us two on the track for our last two races. Anyway I had issues with the neck device. I don't know if I'm just too "no-neck" for what they have or what. The first one I had the velcro didn't hold well and I had to keep pushing it back under my helmet. Then I grabbed one that had a buckle on it. The second one stayed on but I had trouble breathing- may just be fat issue. Also the helmet kept riding up. What should I look for for next time? Also are the basic neck protectors that they use cheap enough to buy my own if I'm not joining a league?

To clarify my no-neck statement: in junior high football I had no neck. My helmet pretty much rested on my shoulder pads. Also the smallest helmet completely aired up was too big for me, I could spin the helmet around. I use the red medium helmets at GPK.

Not to be a stickler but what you are talking about is not a HANS device...

Glad that was the first post. :megusta:

...it's just a neck collar

Can you speak into what those actually do or don't do? My understanding is that they are basically for comfort; don't actually add any safety.

If they are like buckeye raceway you can bring your own helmet. That might be best for you if you can find one that fits you perfectly. I thought the neck pillow was just that, something for comfort when you are racing. I use one when I'm racing but I never had issues with it moving. My neck is pretty slim though :p

A neck collar will help prevent wiplash, when I raced karts as a teenager they were required safety equipment. Of course that was long before most people had heard of a hans device.

Personally I don't wear one, but I usually go to Buckeye Raceway, I suppose GP indoor requires it.

Honestly it sounds like you're SOL. To go to one of these places once in a while doesn't make sense to get something custom, and that's what will work given your description.