Crazy and Sad thing that I came across today

BStowers023

I walk into my building for class tonight at about 5:30, I go to the bathroom only to find a dead kid/guy in the back stall. He was limp, face down in the corner and his arm was purple. It was a likely heroin overdose. There was aluminum foil on the ground underneath his wallet with what looked to be heroin paraphanelia. It was pretty surreal. Watch out for your friends and family. Nobody should go out that way and especially not that young.

Here's the link

http://www.10tv.com/article/classes-canceled-columbus-states-westerville-campus-after-body-found-bathroom

My wife told me last evening she read an article stating there are now 14,000 kids in state custody in OH due to the heroin problem. 14,000. Let that sink in. These kids will become adults one day. These kids whose primary influence during their most impressionable years is the system...

That's pretty F'dup.

Have you notice that there are more and more OD now than ever? Do you think it's because of the Medics are now carrying stuff like Nar-can so addicts are more willing to try harder stuffs?

One of my buddy's told me that a lot of the cocaine dealers will lace one baggy with some sort of poisonous chemical and it will likely kill the person who uses it. Supposedly they do this because all of the feens will want what they're selling because it will be viewed as "strong and potent" AKA the good stuff.

My wife told me last evening she read an article stating there are now 14,000 kids in state custody in OH due to the heroin problem. 14,000. Let that sink in. These kids will become adults one day. These kids whose primary influence during their most impressionable years is the system...

Yeah, it's really too bad. These people don't need to go to prison. They are clearly in a very dark time in their life and not everybody has the same mindset when they don't see a way out. I highly doubt this kid was trying to kill himself. Most likely just trying to get high to forget about all the negative shit in his life. Not something I'd turn to, but like I said, everybody is different. Prison barely ever helps anyone I think, especially kids or young adults.

One of my buddy's told me that a lot of the cocaine dealers will lace one baggy with some sort of poisonous chemical and it will likely kill the person who uses it. Supposedly they do this because all of the feens will want what they're selling because it will be viewed as "strong and potent" AKA the good stuff.

Yeah, it's really too bad. These people don't need to go to prison. They are clearly in a very dark time in their life and not everybody has the same mindset when they don't see a way out. I highly doubt this kid was trying to kill himself. Most likely just trying to get high to forget about all the negative shit in his life. Not something I'd turn to, but like I said, everybody is different. Prison barely ever helps anyone I think, especially kids or young adults.

The issue is that when Ohio went hardline on the pill mills, there was still massive demand (due to addiction, duh) but no supply. That's when everyone addicted to legal opiates found out that illegal opiates are not only stronger, but a million times cheaper and easier for dealers to get.

Not only that, but the cartels already have a reasonably strong foothold in OH due to their involvement in cooking meth and growing pot. Being a state with maritime access to international borders, as well as being a major shipping hub/passthrough made it very easy to flood OH with cheap H quickly.

One of the most troubling aspects of this is the fact that so many of these pill addicts were not your typical drug users (low income, concentrated in high crime areas), but rather suburban kids who had easy access to their parents' legal prescriptions. You're seeing the direct result of this as those kids grow older, go to college, and get even easier access to H like I would assume this guy did.

As you said, the solution is not in incarceration, rather it's an addiction that needs treatment. People will often get clean in prison but will not learn how to live a clean life. Big difference.

Then they go back out on the streets and immediately go back to their old dose, OD, and die. It's not about being more willing to try higher doses due to Narcan carrying medics, it's just a common ebb and flow type thing. Now, however, we're seeing this cheap cartel H laced with fentanyl. Fentanyl isn't an opiate like oxycontin or vicodin, it's a fucking anesthetic more powerful than morphine IIRC. And people are shooting it up and dying quickly, before Narcan can be applied.

As always with these sorts of public policy/health crises, I always suggest people read up on Portugal's method of dealing with such things. I don't suggest that their exact method is right for the U.S. or even OH, but there are important lessons to be learned in the way we look at opiate health crises.

EDIT: Wiki on Portugal's drug policy

Did you really just say that someone who breaks the law shouldn't go to jail but we should actually feel sorry for them because they are sad with what possibly is going on in their life?

And also that by shoving a needle in their arm and injecting a deadly illegal drug they were not trying to do harm to themselves ??

Suicide by heroin probably not but we already spell it out in every way possible that it's bad don't do it but DARWIN has a stronger voice

Here hopefully this link works

https://www.facebook.com/fox25news/videos/10154220830828122/

Anyone see this story and agree we should feel sorry for any of them because it's just a tough world these days that we live in

Or that this kid either with a dead parent or one that is taken will get tossed into the system anyone but yet we bring them to life to have them rot in jail and use even more of our tax money up.

Sorry not sorry America as a whole I believe fails when you bring someone back from the dead just to put them in prison.

Did you really just say that someone who breaks the law shouldn't go to jail but we should actually feel sorry for them because they are sad with what possibly is going on in their life?

And also that by shoving a needle in their arm and injecting a deadly illegal drug they were not trying to do harm to themselves ??

how about....compassion for someone who has died due to some unfortunate circumstances is normal and we should feel empathy for our fellow man. It's a very sad situation caused by a lot of complex societal factors that cannot be distilled into a garbage oversimplifying set of "personal responsibility" statements. Belittling anybody for feeling that way doesn't make you idealistic or righteous, it just makes you an asshole.

BStowers - I'm sorry you had to go through this. Its an emotionally difficult thing to see and process. The only advice I can give you is that this is going to probably weigh heavy on your mind in ways you didn't imagine before and it's ok to seek help if it starts to get to you (it may not, but it may and in ways you weren't expecting).

Here hopefully this link works

https://www.facebook.com/fox25news/videos/10154220830828122/

Anyone see this story and agree we should feel sorry for any of them because it's just a tough world these days that we live in

Or that this kid either with a dead parent or one that is taken will get tossed into the system anyone but yet we bring them to life to have them rot in jail and use even more of our tax money up.

Sorry not sorry America as a whole I believe fails when you bring someone back from the dead just to put them in prison.

I just saw that vid on liveleak and came here to post it. I can't even finish the vid. :(

Suicide by heroin probably not but we already spell it out in every way possible that it's bad don't do it but DARWIN has a stronger voice

Agree to disagree

Did you really just say that someone who breaks the law shouldn't go to jail but we should actually feel sorry for them because they are sad with what possibly is going on in their life? And also that by shoving a needle in their arm and injecting a deadly illegal drug they were not trying to do harm to themselves ??

I think everyone in an addition type situation deserves some help and a second chance. I do also think there needs to be a sense of accountability and paying back to society the costs involved or something along those lines once they are no longer addicted. Not only would that payback help cover costs but it would be done in a monitored environment helping insure stability and in the end serve as a reminder vs dreaming of freedom while they rot in a cell.

how about....compassion for someone who has died due to some unfortunate circumstances is normal and we should feel empathy for our fellow man. It's a very sad situation caused by a lot of complex societal factors that cannot be distilled into a garbage oversimplifying set of "personal responsibility" statements. Belittling anybody for feeling that way doesn't make you idealistic or righteous, it just makes you an asshole.

If by asshole I don't feel compassion for someone who took their life because they wanted to get high on drugs then il own that anyday of the week without a problem.

Sad a life was lost yes, sad of the reasoning not a chance

More sad that someone had to find him in that state then the life that was chosen to be taken

People get low and do things they regret later, people who want or need help should be able to find it. Ignoring it and having people die is not an answer. Fighting to get rid of illegal drugs is the only thing that will keep our tax dollars from being wasted on these things. It doesn't matter if you help them or let them die it's not free. Healthy and affordable ways for people to deal with their problems needs to become the norm, but it's easier to find drugs and get high for that quick way to feel better about things. As someone who has done drugs and am an alcoholic I understand why people do this.

"Real men bury their problems" "Man up and stop being a pussy" ever heard shit like this? It's the norm for most men in America, now I'm not for the pussification of men, but there are healthy ways to deal with your problems that doesn't involve drugs and alcohol. It's commonly looked down upon and drugs are just easier. The norm needs to change and the crackdown on drugs needs to continue if you want to see less of this happening.

Thanks for reading my two cents. Hopefully you all can stay off your high horses and feel some compassion for your fellow man.

If by asshole I don't feel compassion for someone who took their life because they wanted to get high on drugs then il own that anyday of the week without a problem.

The way your statement was worded it was an attack on someone else's feelings concerning something they witnessed. You are entitled to feel anyway you like about it, but sometimes it's best to keep these things to yourself.

I think another thing is that a lot of people who are on this shit started after getting a simple surgery and went on pain pills. The friends that I know who were impacted had it happen that way...got hooked to their pain pills and couldn't afford to do that anymore and heroin is so much cheaper.

I do not agree with someone someone that overdose shot, but I also sympathize with the previously productive members of society who have somehow gone down this terrible path and can't find a way out. They're people, and any one of us could have a shitty day, do something they regret, and ruin their life because of it.