Wanted: Fun Car

Zx2guy19

I don't disagree with the truck thing, but this thread started (as I remember without going back) as a $20k-30k budget for a toy. I would rather have more money tied into fun cars (CTS-V, BMW, Linc, etc...) than in my hauler.

Gets a $30k tee-ruk, too scared to haul old sofas and broken appliances. Comes back next year with a "Know of any $5-6k beater trucks for sale?":lol:

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't disagree with the truck thing, but this thread started (as I remember without going back) as a $20k-30k budget for a toy. I would rather have more money tied into fun cars (CTS-V, BMW, Linc, etc...) than in my hauler.

Gets a $30k tee-ruk, too scared to haul old sofas and broken appliances. Comes back next year with a "Know of any $5-6k beater trucks for sale?":lol:

The thread started with me seeking a fun car under 10k, which I still am. I am still actively messaging people on CR and CL and was in talks on a 91 MR2 just a couple days ago.

The thread never really changed that much. I've been looking for an FX4 for 2 months, I just made it public for the first time in this thread. The only thing that slightly changed is me kicking around getting a fast DD rather than a practical DD and a fun car.

I love my EcoBoost F-150, and a big selling point was how well it rode. Not quite like a car, but enough like one we were sold on it and the performance.

Rode in dads to Kentucky and back today. Love the way these things ride. 10/10.

The thread started with me seeking a fun car under 10k, which I still am. I am still actively messaging people on CR and CL and was in talks on a 91 MR2 just a couple days ago.

Honestly, I really regret not buying an MR2 instead of my Vette. My next "toy" will be something along the lines of a turbo MR2 I think. I test drove one and it's definitely a drivers car and they feel faster than they are because of how small they are. If you do go that route, just make sure you buy one with power steering as I believe it was an option up until 94 I think. Those little motors have a lot of potential.

Honestly, I really regret not buying an MR2 instead of my Vette. My next "toy" will be something along the lines of a turbo MR2 I think. I test drove one and it's definitely a drivers car and they feel faster than they are because of how small they are. If you do go that route, just make sure you buy one with power steering as I believe it was an option up until 94 I think. Those little motors have a lot of potential.

Definitely man, I've found quite a few nice ones on the forums for 4-6k. I just need to pick the right one and get after it.

I'm on board with the OP. My "wants" as far as vehicles goes changes on a weekly basis. Difference I suppose is I tend to not discuss on a message board, but I get it. Makes it more entertaining when it's public though haha.

I would steer clear of MR2'S op. They are neat for what they are but aftermarket sucks and dollar for dollar they make less then other platforms. The factory ecu is terrible. You can use piggybacks but you still won't get great results. You can gonna be limited to about 300whp. That's going to require a td06.20g. The ecu doesn't like timing change. So unless you plan full ecu replacement I wouldn't touch it.

I was a pioneer for mr2 back in late 90's early 2000's. I was a top importer for JDM engines and hard to get aero. My personal car had a t67a trunk mount intercooler and haltech. This was 2002 maybe. Which was considered a big set up back then. I can rebuild a mr2 in my sleep. From my experience stay away.

Thanks for all the input fellas.

I am driving to get a 2013 FX4 tomorrow. Literally every option available, except a bed liner (wtf, they were standard?). Either way, it's a great price, they're giving me 18k for my ATS(paid 18,300 12k miles ago) and my payment is only going to go up about $100 a month after my insurance savings.

Turn out we have a whole bunch of Mr2 fans here. I had a 91 Mr2 NA from 96-98 then 93 turbo from 2000-2003. Had big plan for the turbo but like Lauren said, reality set in and I moved on. They are neat for what they are but once crank up it's a basket case. Still love seeing them every now and then.

Turn out we have a whole bunch of Mr2 fans here. I had a 91 Mr2 NA from 96-98 then 93 turbo from 2000-2003. Had big plan for the turbo but like Lauren said, reality set in and I moved on. They are neat for what they are but once crank up it's a basket case. Still love seeing them every now and then.

Most cars are basket cases when you start trying to make big power over stock though... I think a 280whp MR2 would be a blast

It isn't. It really its that great. My Miata with 240whp was way more fun. You need 350whp+ to make a mr2 fun and not get bored. And to get there is silly Money and lots of headaches

It isn't. It really its that great. My Miata with 240whp was way more fun. You need 350whp+ to make a mr2 fun and not get bored. And to get there is silly Money and lots of headaches

That's almost always the downside with picking oddball cars, without a ton of support. You're the r&d mule, and might not like the final outcome.

Not a fan of miatas, but it's easy to understand why so many people use that platform.

I haven't seen an mr2 in years though!

Aren't you that broke dick that owns a mkiii supra? Literally the works supra ever made

Define broke dick

Would rather make $7.50/hr than teach dance as a grown man.

Thank god I don't have to worry about either of those.

I'll put down however much your wife is willing to let you spend that I can drag that poverty cooper around whatever track you want to race on. Straight, twists, you name it twinkle toes.

I would steer clear of MR2'S op. They are neat for what they are but aftermarket sucks and dollar for dollar they make less then other platforms. The factory ecu is terrible. You can use piggybacks but you still won't get great results. You can gonna be limited to about 300whp. That's going to require a td06.20g. The ecu doesn't like timing change. So unless you plan full ecu replacement I wouldn't touch it.

I was a pioneer for mr2 back in late 90's early 2000's. I was a top importer for JDM engines and hard to get aero. My personal car had a t67a trunk mount intercooler and haltech. This was 2002 maybe. Which was considered a big set up back then. I can rebuild a mr2 in my sleep. From my experience stay away.

All I have to say is that there has been just a couple changes over the last 15 years.

Things have changed.

Not really. ko racing and ATS are still the leaders of aftermarket. People are still clinging to ct20b or ct27. Still the same piggy backs utlizied. ATS does have a full plug and play standalone ecu but that just proved my point as well. Any serious power requires a standalone. Same t3/t4 turbo kits or gt30/35 kits. Literally the same stuff has been around.

Op why don't you got pick up a 335i either coupe vert or sedan. They come in manuals and at 300 HP stock with 1500 dollars you can be at 460ish whp. Way more fun to drive and newer tech and creature comforts.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6142446322.html

You are a intercooler and tune away for 450+ at the wheels. Tune 300 and intercooler 450. Its got all the major issues sorted and looks good

Damn that's a lot of car for that price. I could definitely pick that up, put a couple thousand in to it and have my fun car.

I am heading to Toledo at noon today to get an FX4. Can't fucking wait.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/6142446322.html

You are a intercooler and tune away for 450+ at the wheels. Tune 300 and intercooler 450. Its got all the major issues sorted and looks good

Hell yeah. That looks great

If you think 9k for a 10 almost 11 year old first year turbo BMW with closing in on 170k is good you both need to check the market a lot better. Does the color pair well for sure but for 10k you can get newer with far less mileage considering this car is pretty stock it's nothing special.