Chicago Trip- Suggestions?

Zx2guy19

CR seems to be a wealth of travel knowledge these last few days, so I guess I'll ask too.

Heading to Chicago next weekend (Friday-Sunday) with the girlfriend before I have to spend the following week there for work. We are heading up early Friday (around 5am) and she will be leaving around 3 on Sunday to make the drive back (again, I'm staying). So, we'll have around 35 hours of time to fill after taking out sleeping.

We are staying at the Silversmith hotel, JUST outside of Centennial park: http://www.silversmithchicagohotel.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjwjunJBRDzl6iCpoKS4G0SJACJAx-VTrvOd5J1T3U_bxFQcrMGjb9Xm_jRbHAYmrWi9XNmXhoCYZXw_wcB

Neither of us have been to Chicago, so we are looking for suggestions on the Mag Mile (of course the park will be one of them).

We need 2-3 places for breakfast and lunch and 2 places for dinner too.

Thanks!

Lou Malnatti's pizza, I'm sure I spelled that wrong.

I've spent some time up around Schamburg were the GM training center is. It's a nice area but nothing overly special to do in the northwest suburbs.

If you like beer/liquor/wine check out a Benny's beverage depot for a massive selection of alcohol at cheap prices.

Bavette (low key low light basement bar)

The Drifter (hidden basement bar with tasteful burlesque shows)

The Library (hidden basement bar below Gilt)

Take the architecture tour (boat)

Giordanos (best pizza in the city, I've had them all)

Kumas Korner (insane burgers)

Edited by Diamonds

I hate the best pizza debate, but if you find yourself by Pequod's Pizza you have to try it.

I used to take people to Giordanos or Lous then Pequod's and every single person preferred Pequod's.

I was in for a day for a business trip. I am pretty sure the Silversmith is where they put us up for the night. Dope hotel. After check in, we went to Mortons for dinner. That was a neat experience. The ambiance of that place was pretty awesome.

It was all work the next day before riding the L back to the airport, but I found riding the L to be a pretty cool experience.

If you get a chance, go visit Frank Gallagher and have a pint at the Alibi.

There is a museum, might have been mentioned already, that has the largest T-Rex skeleton. Also there are dolphins at either the zoo or aquarium. The wife was planning a trip there for us, granted that was kid friendly plans.

There is a museum, might have been mentioned already, that has the largest T-Rex skeleton.

Yup, and if you've seen the movie The Ghost and the Darkness, they have the actual lions there (taxidermied of course)

Awesome, thanks everyone, these are fantastic ideas. The boat tour sounds awesome, especially since the weather looks to be nice next weekend (I'll believe it when I see it). I think we'll have pizza for lunch on Friday and maybe Sunday, so we can give 2 places a try.

Scott- my conference for work (Mon-Thurs) is actually in Schaumburg, so I am going to take the L there Sunday after she leaves, and then I am staying at the Renaissance there for the week.

Awesome, thanks everyone, these are fantastic ideas. The boat tour sounds awesome, especially since the weather looks to be nice next weekend (I'll believe it when I see it). I think we'll have pizza for lunch on Friday and maybe Sunday, so we can give 2 places a try.

Scott- my conference for work (Mon-Thurs) is actually in Schaumburg, so I am going to take the L there Sunday after she leaves, and then I am staying at the Renaissance there for the week.

in you enjoy cosi at all in columbus, than the museum of science and technology in chicago will blow you away.

I do- my girlfriend is actually a mechanical engineer too so she's fucking nerd when it comes to that stuff.

My only concern with that is it's so nice out, that may be better saved for a winter trip of some sort.

The goat is good. Breakfast at the original pancake house--the line moves fast, I promise. Dinner at tavern on rush. Amazing steaks. Gibsons is great. Lunch and bar food at Timothy o tooles. Red headed piano bar is cool. The lady and I go there every couple months for an overnight stay, as it's about 2.5 hours from my house. And yes, it's 2.5 hours from road America.

Some good suggestions. I'd add do the Hancock building over Sears tower. Hancock has a bar at the top and makes for a cool sunset trip up. Get there early as it's busy around sunset. We bought the day/night pass the day before so we could bypass the line and you get the 2nd trip up for like $10.

We also liked ditkas alot. Pretty good steak there and liked the atmosphere. There's so many good places to eat there you can't really go wrong. I would say that gene & georgettis was a huge disappointment for me considering their prices.