Bust Out Another Thousand, Then Some More

oh8sti

Well I officially did it - I bought a boat. I didn't think I'd ever be a boat owner, but I spend last year on my buddies Super Air G21 at Norris Lake and decided to buy one for my business to take bands/vendors/clients out on when in town. I will bring it to Columbus every so often, but the it will mainly live in Center Hill Lake, TN.

Fellow boat owners - what are some words of advice? I researched this boat heavily. Its used, fully loaded, full records and in great shape with enough hours to know that it was used, but yet well cared for. Also, he was a Buckeye fan, so it made sense to go with this color!

Specs:

2014 Malibu Wakesetter 24' MXZ

450hp LS3 motor

Fully loaded stereo

300 hours

1qdNpvb.jpg

c5c0zU3.jpg

URrRIqu.jpg

Edited by Panduh

Hell of a first boat lol sweet jesus

Words of advice, tripple check to make sure drain plugs are in, check to make sure trailer bearings are greesed, check trailer bunks arent worn, and wash the boat after every use.

And if it get cold in winter months make sure to properly winterize the boat...expensive motor bills if you don't.

I see its got a sweet sound system...don't be the tool thats blasting music near others be respectful of people.

Music paid for boat. He can do what he wants. Outta dodge grandpa.

Get some airbags on the rear axle of your truck

I was thinking about that - I just cant justify doing it though. I wont be towing the boat very often. It will live at the slip at the lake. Ill pull it maybe 3-4 times a year. It pulls great even being a little nose high.

Yeah, be careful if you tow+gear+people, or just don't; from a quick guess/best #s I can find, you very well could be over GCWR. And that's assuming you have a weight distributing hitch; if not you are definitely over max tow weight already.

Anyway, nice boat, should be fun. Especially on the lakes down there.

Yeah, be careful if you tow+gear+people, or just don't; from a quick guess/best #s I can find, you very well could be over GCWR. And that's assuming you have a weight distributing hitch; if not you are definitely over max tow weight already.

The answer is so simple: Mike, get a bigger truck.

I was thinking about that - I just cant justify doing it though. I wont be towing the boat very often. It will live at the slip at the lake. Ill pull it maybe 3-4 times a year. It pulls great even being a little nose high.

I have cheap ones on my truck that only do 1k leveling and I have to manually inflate them... they make a huge difference im handling. If I was using your setup I would have 5k+ bags on but to each their own.

Go on a weekday and practice you trailer unloading and loading, with your girl or anyone you with be with often also. 90% of the boating mistakes I saw were made at the boat ramp. Learn how to tie off too. Clean it after every use. Change the fluids often, and keep the tank full to reduce air in the tank.

Yeah I totally hear you - The boat is 5000lb with fuel, plus trailer at 1500lb. You can tell its back there!

In the water the boat can add another 3500lbs in the ballast tanks and 2 800lb fat sacks. It can get heavy. The name of the game in Wakeboats is weight and torque. This has an 450hp LS3 in it :p

Go on a weekday and practice you trailer unloading and loading, with your girl or anyone you with be with often also. 90% of the boating mistakes I saw were made at the boat ramp. Learn how to tie off too. Clean it after every use. Change the fluids often, and keep the tank full to reduce air in the tank.

Great advice - I appreciate It!

Congrats, looks sweet!! Don't even bother bringing it up to Ohio, lol. I live in Columbus and for the past 3 years we've left our boat down at Norris all season long, the water is SOOO much better.

Don't power turn, don't power load it, wipe it down religiously, know that it'll only reverse to the right until you learn how to swing it around, it won't steer in neutral so in tight areas get used to bumping in & out of gear to maintain control but keep speed to a minimum. Surfgate likes a little bit of a list to the surfside so either move people weight or fill the bags like 80/100 depending on which side you're surfing on. Practicing driving/backing w/ the trailer, when backing put your hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and whichever way you want the rear of the trailer to go move your hand that way, and while backing LESS is more in terms of steering/turning the wheel etc.

I'm sure my list could go on and on, I've grown up on inboards and have bought 2 new ones in the past few years, splitting time between Norris Lake and Lake Cumberland.

Here's a couple pics of mine...and tower stereos rock and surfing is a blast, haha.

28089911754_30c1bb95f8.jpg

28601451442_3f6de256a0.jpg

34197755714_3daba3af2f.jpg

35756738182_8aee3706aa.jpg

35377375194_15b8756757.jpg

37216975885_cb75567e53.jpg

Music paid for boat. He can do what he wants. Outta dodge grandpa.

:lol:

Damn. What's that boat weigh?

The answer is so simple: Mike, get a bigger truck.

Doc gets it.

Congratulations...You'll love it! There has been a lot of good advice in here already...most importantly I would say keep it clean and keep up on the maintenance and you will be fine. Fuck those haters talking about best day is 1st and last!

When I bought my Nordic (~8000lbs fully loaded) I had a 1500...towed it twice and upgraded to a 2500 diesel long bed. I tow it everywhere though so not the same situation you are in.

Sold the Nordic on Wednesday...desperately searching for the replacement. May be making a trip to Alabama next week to look at two...both 38ft+ and 10-13000lbs dry! :cool:

If you come up North with it let us know...you'd be welcome to raft up!

-Marc

Like the comments already said, incredible boat! You should upgrade to a 3/4 ton truck, you have a very nice 1/2 ton, but it wasn't made to pull the type of weight of the boat you purchased. Edited by RS69

Yeah, if it's just him and the boat, he's not driving at higher speeds, far, etc, he's probably fine.

If the boat is full of fluids, loaded with gear, he has people in the car, he'll likely be over GCWR. I'm sure Ford has some good reason they rated it at what they did; look up the #'s.

The suspension on that is not really designed for high weight loads that come along with towing/bed loads; it's only meant for 1 thing.