Do you genuinely enjoy your job?

Franchi

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody loved your meetz Derek. Glad I tried your chicken wings, they were phenomenal.. definitely in the top 3 I've ever had.

Based on my wing man Not Brian, I need to get some wings from Derek soon.

I work for a wireless provider for the past 17 years and like what I am doing for my fulltime opportunity. I have a good staff that I work with and enjoy my executive staff.

In my spare time, I would repair/restore corvettes and that was put on the back shelf for the past few years due to the kids high school activities. Since the kids are in college, my rental property hobby/business picked up and cattle farm(up to 4, with 2 calves soon), so that is taking up my spare time presently.

Edited by RS69

I don't mind it. But i guess that's a typical response right?

Good pay and GREAT schedule really make up for the negatives in the job. When I first started a little under a year ago it was a huge transition and a lot of daily challenges. Just yesterday my boss gave me a compliment that I'm "light years" ahead of where I was so that's always nice to hear.

All that being said I can totally see this position becoming monotonous in the next year or so. I told my self I would give it 1-2 years then move on to something else and/or move up to a different position.

Absolutely loved my day job, almost couldn’t have asked for a better gig. I worked alone, had no one to answer to on a daily basis, and the nearest other employee was multiple states away. Month + vaca, etc.

Enjoyed that for nearly 8 years, till I was offered a relocation out of state. Turned it down, sold off some businesses I had large stakes in and decided I could pack it in. Been enjoying retirement for nearly 8 months. This happened right at the start of summer, so I took the whole summer to travel with my girlfriend. Extremely fortunate

Going to do the same shortly, but on a motorcycle from May-Aug. it’s something I’ve always wanted to do, seems like the perfect time.

Mostly.

I work at a super small shop, it's me, one other tech and the owners brother (who runs it/does service advisor stuff)

I can quote what I want within reason, come in late or take off early within reason, healthcare is paid for, I have a guarantee built into my pay, pretty laid back.

Cons are since it's an indy shop in a poorer section of the state I see a lot of rusted out shit and people wanting something for nothing, but generally it's enjoyable and the owner understands cars suck to fix and that shit happens while doing it.

9.8/10 do enjoy. Big plus will be once my new box comes in

I’ve been appraising real estate for 12 years. I make good money but have plateaued where I’m at. I like the people but I feel like the writing is on the walls with both the partners wanting to retire in the next few years. Working with real estate is something I have really come to enjoy and I want to take my knowledge and move but it’s proven hard to find a “good fit” in other companies.

I’m working with someone to start buying rentals so hopefully I’ll have a portfolio in the next few years that will help cash flow us even if I end up somewhere else that doesn’t pay as well.

Not entirely. But the stress vs pay ratio is better than most jobs I've had.

"If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life." I tried that once. It just turned what I love into a job. So I work a job I can live with so that I can do what I love when I'm not working.

Waiting to see what Andy says ('cause I recruited him :D)

I do enjoy my work, Like others I'm sure I could come up with the pro's and con's but overall I'm very satisfied.

More importantly I REALLY like the company I'm working for. My previous employer was a large enterprise company and no matter how hard you work and how outstanding you might be there's always a process and timeline to get where you want to go. Not the case with my current employer, you bust your ass and you get recognized and they help you grow and put you in situations where your work ethic helps the company expand. I'm on a first name basis and meet regularly with "C" level executives who get all the exposure and opportunity I could ever want. It's up to me to make the most of that.

All,

Well, where do I start? Truthfully totally blessed that I took at Foundry Engineering job at Columbus Steel Castings back in 2005, was hired to provide quality and technical material science type of support into the foundry. This included casting design, on railroad / industrial castings. From blueprint, to pattern design & casting onto the shipping dock, learning lean methods was very rewarding. Moved into another technical roll with Ashland Inc managing foundry products R&D lab for 4 1/2 years, then moving into analytical instrument sales @ METTLER Toledo, then back into the foundry products where I am now.

Let me say, that I was really happy getting the chance to sell lab equipment via telesales with very high sales targets, but having all the support in the world. When asked to come back into the foundry I was very hesitant being how up and down that industry is, but when asked to come work for my current company REFCOTEC located in Orrville Ohio with a 35 year old family owned company I made the best decision of my career thus far.

I am currently a Technical Service / Sales Manager for foundry products with the main focus of Foundry Resin for foundries all over North America, get to work from home, and travel to gain more business for our partners located in Niagara Falls Canada and it's been very rewarding to date! We are doing very well as a company and get weekly support from my peers in the company saying that I am doing a wonderful job! I really love what I do, very passionate about it, and provide our customers with assistance to make them better.

Sorry for the long ramble session, just wanted to share :)

Get your Hustle on ya'll! Make that Money!

I love my job. I perform field service (mainly for hospitals). I rarely talk to my boss (I've never met him), and travel can take me to some fantastic destinations, all paid for by someone else. It pays well, and I'm very good at it.

What do you service? That sounds like a dream job to me.

I'm a lot happier since I left the legal industry. I was chasing a paycheck for the longest time there and realized it wasn't worth it.

Doing racecar stuff for a living is fun but it has a lot of challenges. I work very hard to be one of the best in the game and it's not easy. The satisfaction and sense of accomplishment provided by the job makes it worth it, that and I get to do some pretty cool stuff.

Ask me this question again after five days of 16-plus hour days this week doing race coverage and the answer might be a bit more salty :)

Kind of? I recently was promoted from a dealership level manager position to over seeing purchasing and new product development. Very challenging, but feeling a little lost as of late.

All in all I know I've done a great job (especially in the last year) but don't feel fulfilled in my career. I'm very particular in the quality of my work and effective use of time. I could do my job and be home before 1 if I wanted, but side projects keep me busy.

Would love to just act as a consultant, but at 33 you really don't have the "experience" dealership clientele are after.

Neat. We're getting a new siemens system at work that handles both facility UPS power and DC power distribution for DC equipment.

I just dont want to deal with live 480v DC with enough amps to justify cables the size of my arm. That's when electricity has gone beyond fun a long time ago.

Some days it's great, other days it's a chore. I've done this for virtually my entire adult life, and realistically know no different.

The amount of sacrifice to get to this point has been huge. I've sacrificed the true golden years of my life, meaning my late teens-mid twenties. I've sacrificed my health, both mental and physical. I've sacrificed a steady paycheck, stability, and free time. I typically work 6-7 days per week, eight or more hour days. I spend the vast majority of my time alone working, which has caused my social skills to deteriorate.

I have no boss to answer to, and my effort put forth in a given day is at my discretion. I have the ability to create and do anything I'd like with it, and have the skill set to built virtually anything I can imagine. I'm able to work with very nice tools, apply math and science, problem solve, continually push myself to heighten the quality of my work, and practice a craft I love on a daily basis. However, when problems arise, they are all mine to solve. This has broadened and strengthened my shoulders, but also keeps a seemingly permanent amount of stress weighing them down. I can't remember the last time I've felt truly relaxed, or had a day when work wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

I've had the opportunity to build parts for numerous cool vehicles, built wild custom turbo setups and other parts, and developed a reputation as an innovator in the industry. However, working on cars for a living has ruined my enjoyment for them to a degree. Non stop large custom jobs is an extraordinarily taxing way to make a living, and one that is always one step forward, two steps back. I love working with my hands and creating parts, but despise working on vehicles other than my own. The enjoyment I feel from working on my own car has diminished as well, and it's now a battle to "finish" it in order to stop spending money and time on it. I've discontinued offering custom work for the aforementioned reasons for the sake of my wallet and, more importantly, my mind. I have a few vehicle/custom projects to finish before focusing entirely on production work.

Going to events and/or races is no longer a hobby, but just another facet of work. Everything I do on a daily basis is related to work in one way, shape, or form. All of my social media accounts are business-centralized, down to my personal Facebook page. This, in turn, has caused me to be much more private with anything personal, which isn't a bad thing.

I'm grateful to be in the position that I am, but I often do wonder what life would be like if I had chosen a different path and continued to do this solely as a hobby. I'm grateful to have developed the relationships I have, become a part of this community and others, and had the experiences I've had. However, it's certainly taken a toll on me. I've spent the last decade of my life building this from the ground up, and don't possess any marketable skills aside from the specialized type of work that I do now.

I'm extremely proud of what I've accomplished, but also full of regrets because of it; fun has worn off, and it's a job like any other now.

The sword is double-edged.