Rotary engine questions....

xlr8tn

My son hit a deer and totalled his car last week. Now in the process of looking for another one. There's a Mazda rx8 he wants to look at. I know less than nothing about rotary engines. Pros and cons to them and any advice welcomed and appreciated.

Not a good daily, they have to be treated differently to even be reasonable. You have to get them hot and drive them, starting them cold and shutting them off before you get them hot and driving them usually floods them. The automatic ones are the worst, with a manual you can properly rev it to keep it cleaned out, they need to be taken to redline regularly. They are also designed to consume oil in order to lubricate everything, and is why many built rotaries use 2 stroke oil in the gas.

They can be a great car, but it’s not for someone to drive every day. Makes an interesting toy.

Glad I asked the question because I like the looks of them so I wasn't against him getting one at all. We'll switch gears a bit. My vote was for a grand prix gxp because I'm so familiar with the motor. He's not a fan of a 4 door though and I get that. I bet if I got him to test drive one though I could change his mind.

The car he hit the deer with was a G6 GT and he liked that car. He was looking at the gxp version but it has the 3.6 in it so pretty much off the table.

The RX-8 can be driven as a daily... I drove one for 5 years and it was only on a flat bed 4 times. That's less then once a year... by my calculations, that's about as reliable as anything that comes from GM, and have you heard how many JD Power Awards they have won? Yea, so we are already off to a great start!^

The Mazda RX-8 has a red line that goes all the way to 11,000 RPM, like a Lexus LFA

The Mazda RX-8 has suicide doors like a Rolls Royce..mmmm, classy!^

The Mazda RX-8 has a front mid-engine layout like a Mercedes SLR

The Mazda RX-8 has a driver focused interior, like a Jaguar XJ220

And many many more things to offer you each day. It's 1.3L engine will shock even the most die hard Prius owners who will cry tears at night knowing that their 1.5L engine looks like a gas hog next to the far more superior RX-8's light and fluffy 1.3L marvel of an engine.^

You will sip smiles of pure delight as all the 911 owners will have trouble going around the tightest of corners, while you zip by without even tapping the breaks.

Honestly... if you read this far, Why have you not gone out and purchased this car. They are hard to find on the road these days and there are fewer RX-8 driving in Columbus than there are 2019 Ford GT.^

Sure sure... they might burn a fuck load of oil... and sure the engines blow up faster than a Northstar...and yes, there is the whole "catch on fire" thing that happens... and you may or may not need at like $5000 in reserve at all times when owning an RX-8.

But we need to look past these small details and love the Mazda RX-8 for what it really is....A GOD DAMN FUCKING PAIN IN MY SIDE AND I AM FUCKING HAPPY THAT NIGHTMARE OF A FUCKING CAR IS OUT OF MY GOD DAMN FUCKING LIFE!!!!^-Buy your son an Infinity G32 coupe, MX5, or a 350z if he wants a sports car. Stay the hell away from the Rx-8... I lived its horrors so you don't have to.

Edited by Mojoe
I hit edit instead of quote and wrecked your post. All fixed now. Thanks Tina

The RX-8 can be driven as a daily... I drove one for 5 years and it was only on a flat bed 4 times.

How can you look at this as acceptable? I have never had a daily drive towed. Having and RX* for a daily is like dating a crack addict. She me do some crazy shit you like, but you know damn well shows going to let you down a lot.

from what I can remember there 4g64 ish and later 4 cylinder is derived from the 4g63 and fwd turbo dodges. I would look at similar cars in that sold price range and look at facebook marketplace/craigslist to see what repairs have been done or resale value.

What about an 08Tiburon? Any known issues with those? My wife has a 17 sonata and loves it. Only Hyundai we've ever had though.

Tiburons are good cars, both 4-cyl and V6...but I would want to know the ownership/maintenance history as those tended to be passed down to bottom-feeders after several years. Not exactly a high-line brand or a collectible drivers' car, that one.

How can you look at this as acceptable? I have never had a daily drive towed. Having and RX* for a daily is like dating a crack addict. She me do some crazy shit you like, but you know damn well shows going to let you down a lot.

It was a joke....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to have to switch gears a bit.....went and looked at that Tiburon today. I'm 6' and even my head touched the roof in it with the seat all the way down....he's 3" taller than I am. There's a 2 door Altima with the 2.5 in it we're going to look at next.

Edit: nevermind....cvt transmission.

If you are looking for something sporty and with reliability why not a Z car. Multiples out there for $6-10K that look nice. Also a couple beaters if you want something to wrench on. Most of them are auto's too (Most kids these days are not into shifting)..

One looks nice (But a vert) at Gender auto sales out in Anal Winchester (Yes I know Canal).. Only 60K on the odometer ($6950)

Also for all you F body guys a 1994 Z28 out on FB without a title for $800. The outside is very dirty and interior rough (Might be an impounded one). Looks like a great project or race car (Believe this is a LT1)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1440773826079827/

Edited by Second Gen
Horrible sentence

Also for all you F body guys a 1994 Z28 out on FB without a title for $800. The outside is very dirty and interior rough (Might be an impounded one). Looks like a great project or race car (Believe this is a LT1)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1440773826079827/

Add a pack of Pall Mall's and a mullet and you've got a COFBA starter kit.