CoronaVirus

Forrest Gump 9

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone disinfect your cars yet? Are you doing anything different to keep it virus-free?

My Jeep has been out twice since all this so not much there. Only took it out into town and didn’t get out due to crowds. My wife took hers to the store but it sits for days in between trips so aside from what she’s touching she lets it sit.

Best I do is hand sanitizer my hands, wipe the keys off ect before touching anything inside the car. I figure Im still throwing groceries or whatever in the trunk so if they have the plague on em then itll be in there regardless. I guess it should all be 'dead' 7-10 days later when I go to do it all again. Wipe down the counter when I put all the groceries away and I figure that is about as precautionary as I can be for a run to the store.

And? What does it prove or even matter at this point? Everyone is jockeying for numbers and statistics but they don't DO anything. I feel like it's just safer to assume everyone has it now and protect yourself as such.

Best I do is hand sanitizer my hands, wipe the keys off ect before touching anything inside the car. I figure Im still throwing groceries or whatever in the trunk so if they have the plague on em then itll be in there regardless. I guess it should all be 'dead' 7-10 days later when I go to do it all again. Wipe down the counter when I put all the groceries away and I figure that is about as precautionary as I can be for a run to the store.

^^ this. one of the big things I'm glad to see is my wife and kids finally head my OCD warnings about putting handbags or grocery bags or backpacks on tables our counters. Thankfully they don't wear shoes in the house as that's been a rule for me since day 1.

It's already been said that China was not including asymptomatic individuals with positive test results in their official case count, so their case count should be similar to ours (currently) in that it only reflects the number of severe cases.

I've said all along that I don't trust their numbers, but their government also has more power over the movement of their people. Wuhan was blockaded and everyone was ordered to stay home, while the military delivered food door to door. In general, many people in China already wear face masks all the time due to air pollution, and they seem more sensitive to epidemics since the SARS outbreak.

My point being, while I don't trust their numbers 100%, there are also a lot of factors that make their situation different than ours. It's not a like this is some smoking gun that let's our leadership off the hook for not taking it seriously (at least publicly) while receiving classified briefings that were less than rosey. It doesn't excuse withholding aid from states that need it unless the governor praises Trump as supreme leader. It doesn't excuse a delayed response the get ventilators because he "has a feeling it will be less." We have to plan and react by using the best information we have at the time, and that information has been continually disregarded.

Also, if the pandemic response team had not been dissolved and funding stripped, we would probably have our own information from inside Wuhan.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sIt's funny, the trump haters want to blame him for everything.

Why didn't the governors step up to the plate sooner. Also, blasio was telling people to attend celebrations and lead life as normal.

Trump want to curtail travel from certain areas, such as NY which has 56% of the cases in the US, but como said that would be a declaration of war. That is a bit of a stupid statement.

Edited by Mace

I don't know about the millions hospitalized, some people will test + , get meds go home and get through it, others with less of an immune system will have to be hospitalized .

Do the math backwards, man. For every person who's died so far, more than 10 have been hospitalized. 200k dead, which is now the "official" white house guestimate, means more than 2 million Americans will need to be hospitalized. This is now the best case scenario according to Trump's personal task force.

The only way it won't be millions is if the hospitals fill up and start turning people away to die at home.

I don't know about the millions hospitalized, some people will test + , get meds go home and get through it, others with less of an immune system will have to be hospitalized .
Again, keep in mind that we're primarily NOT testing people who don't require hospitalization. A majority of the people sitting at home to get through it are not included in the 100,000+ cases. So when people say "20% of people who get this require hospitalization," it's not 20% of the 100,000 cases listed. Those 100,000 are the 20% of the whole.

(As I understand it)

It's funny, the trump haters want to blame him for everything.

Why didn't the governors step up to the plate sooner. Also, blasio was telling people to attend celebrations and lead life as normal.

Trump want to curtail travel from certain areas, such as NY which has 56% of the cases in the US, but como said that would be a declaration of war. That is a bit of a stupid statement.

Depends on what you think the federal government's role is in identifying, monitoring, and mitigating a global pandemic. States don't have the resources for this. States can't force all air travel from a region to route through specific airports and test everyone entering the US. States dont have the large, strategic stockpiles of equipment. States don't have the money of FEMA that allows them to pay for disaster response. States don't have the resources to develop their own tests for pathogens. States are bidding against each other for equipment, driving the prices up. This should be coordinated at a federal level.

Instead we get "don't call governor's who have criticized the federal response," or "I don't believe the experts estimates," or "it's all a democratic hoax," and "I take no responsibility." The list could go on.

Again, keep in mind that we're primarily NOT testing people who don't require hospitalization. A majority of the people sitting at home to get through it are not included in the 100,000+ cases. So when people say "20% of people who get this require hospitalization," it's not 20% of the 100,000 cases listed. Those 100,000 are the 20% of the whole.

(As I understand it)

As confirmation I have a coworker who has all the symptoms but it's a fairly mild case so far. Even though he works in a hospital he doesn't do direct patient care so they would not order a test for him. He's quarantined at home, living in his basement actually to try not to infect the rest of his family.

As confirmation I have a coworker who has all the symptoms but it's a fairly mild case so far. Even though he works in a hospital he doesn't do direct patient care so they would not order a test for him. He's quarantined at home, living in his basement actually to try not to infect the rest of his family.
I spoke earlier of my one coworker that didnt get tested, even though he was in direct contact with someone who was hospitalized and confirmed positive.

My manager, his sister, his wife, 2 year old, newborn are all sick with symptoms. AFAIK, none of them have been tested. His sister is a nurse.

States could have order stay-in-place instead of doing nothing, they could have stockpiled equipment. You make it sound like the states have no power what-so-ever.

You blame the federal government for not taking action sooner, maybe the numbers weren't all in.

I don't remember either fauci or birx coming out earlier saying how bad it was going to be, and yes trump downplayed the virus. But again, 56% of the cases are in NY and what did they do early on to stop it...nothing.

It kills me when the feds lay or want to lay the law down, the states bitch, or it's war.

When they step back to let the states do what they should or need to do the states bitch.

You can't have it both ways, either the fed stick their noses in it or they don't.

What meds?

It also doesn't completely correlate with your immune system health. For reasons we don't quite fully understand, there are some people who have a perfectly fine immune system, however, their body mounts a completely exaggerated inflammatory response and actually ends up killing itself. Your body does dumb shit sometimes.

4 people died in Benghazi and we had 13 congressional inquiries looking to uncover any possible lapse in leadership by the Obama administration or the Clinton state department. 200k people are projected to die during a pandemic after Trump explicitly scaled back the federal pandemic response capabilities and we're already getting "pobody's nerfect!" It's surreal.

4 people died in Benghazi and we had 13 congressional inquiries looking to uncover any possible lapse in leadership by the Obama administration or the Clinton state department. 200k people are projected to die during a pandemic after Trump explicitly scaled back the federal pandemic response capabilities and we're already getting "pobody's nerfect!" It's surreal.

gerg. I know i have been guilty of this approach in the past. how can the country as a whole move forward if both sides are stuck in a tit for tat?

Edited by 10phone2

What meds?

It also doesn't completely correlate with your immune system health. For reasons we don't quite fully understand, there are some people who have a perfectly fine immune system, however, their body mounts a completely exaggerated inflammatory response and actually ends up killing itself. Your body does dumb shit sometimes.

This is what I meant about meds.

For those with strong immune system that contact covid19, will have flu like symptoms, so they will do thera-flu, nsaids, or whatever they need to get them over the symptoms until they are better

gerg. I know i have been guilty of this approach in the past. how can the country as a whole move forward if both sides are stuck in a tit for tat?

I like how your knee-jerk reaction to me expressing an opinion about Trump was to tell me, an 18 year usaf veteran, to revoke my own citizenship, but I'm supposed to be the one to figure out how to heal this rift? Fuck if I know, man. Seems unsolvable at this point.

It’s crazy to think back. But my friend and his wife were sure that they got this coronavirus back in late January at a birthday party. They were sick for two weeks, their son 11 years old sick for two days. The wife is a nurse at OSU and they said it wasn’t flu. Another friend also had the same thing and also recovered. Crazy, but this shit been in the US earlier than we know.