2022 Ford Maverick

zeitgeist57

https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-ford-maverick-looks-to-be-properly-tiny-1846574298

I was driving behind a Ranger this weekend and remarked how still huge the thing looked, despite being the "smaller" truck.

I'm genuinely happy to see Ford making this thing. I'm assuming it'll be based off of the Bronco Sport chassis, which seems to be doing very well in the press-review videos I've watched.

I think crossovers are dumb for any actual utility, but a smaller 4-door with a big-enough bed for yard debris, mulch hauling, bike transportation...anything that would be hindered by dirt on the floor, or roof/side blockage is very interesting to me.

Correct. It should compete with the Hyundai Santa Cruz

Damnit Ford, don't make me agree with Not Brian :D:gabe::doh::lol:

Mustang and Eclipse SUVs and Maverick trucks lol this world is a pile of fuck

I'd rather see a new ranchero or el camino than another bastardardization of a classic nameplate :(

introducing the new fwd subcompact ranchero!

also, holyshit parking a 90s halfton next to a new halfton is LOL! wtf happened?!?

Seriously if you are going to recycle a name you better keep the vehicle in the same fucking class...

Why can't companies make new names LOL.

Probably running out of trademarkable names so it’s just easier to recycle

Probably running out of trademarkable names so it’s just easier to recycle

Just costs less to recycle names. They already own the intellectual property and they spend less on marketing building positivity behind the name because it has some built in good will. Coming up with a new name is way more of a gamble.

Personally, I don't mind if they call a small truck the maverick, it's kind of fitting. I remember Mavericks as used cars and they were like Novas and Darts, not a muscle car on its own, kind of a dowdy grandma car except for the Grabbers and the ones that got turned into hot rods by people who couldn't afford mustangs or camaros.

I think crossovers are dumb for any actual utility, but a smaller 4-door with a big-enough bed for yard debris, mulch hauling, bike transportation...anything that would be hindered by dirt on the floor, or roof/side blockage is very interesting to me.

Sounds like a Honda Ridgeline.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/04/15/2022-hyundai-santa-cruz-pickup-truck-reveal/

Now Hyundai’s got the Santa Cruz...I’m sad there isn’t a stick-shift option but this size makes a lot of sense for hobbyists who want to get dirty, and with 3500-5000lbs of towing you can always get a trailer for bigger hauling.

Yeah...that "look how it can't even really hold a bike" thing isn't working for me either. First thing I caught scrolling through the pics.

It's like a less useful SUV. That "bed" is more like an arm chair.

If you two were talking about how it can't handle the the back half of the bike straight I would give it to you, but you're talking about the front half and have no idea what you are talking about.

bikentruck.jpg

It's like a less useful SUV.

But also this is why I got an SUV and not a truck, the space inside is more useful for what I want to do with it.