What's a good tail bag for a sports bike?

mattm

I need some storage for longer rides as I am very tired of carrying the backpack for these trips. I have looked at the cortech at pony and am not sure how the straps would work with my fender eliminator on my 600rr. I have seen the Joe Rocket tail bag that will fit a helmet and thought that it might work well for my bike. Anybody have other ideas and direct experiences?

Have you considered something like this? It sounds like you can attach it to the pillion and leave it there. Serves 2 purposes. Seat cushion and tail bag.

I think I am going to do one of these next.

Images.aspx?PID=215

Images.aspx?PID=216

Edited by Lost1888

I run these http://www.cycleventure.com/fitments/display_picture.asp?fitment_id=618

You can turn the bag around to the back for a passenger or add a second one for more storage. Watch out though people will make fun of you for having a baby seat on your bike. That's why I keep a baby with my setup.

That made me remember something. I don't think it is exactly what the OP is looking for but I'll put it out there.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/TRAVEL-TRUNK/GP_2002510_N_111+10211+600014603_10111.jcw?showCustom=0&storeId=10101&AID=10303745&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&PID=3212689

At JC Whitney they have a hard tail bag I have heard many good things about. It was a big thing on SVrider over the winter. Some guys were buying a spare pillion seat striping it of the padding and mounting the plate that comes with the trunk to the striped seat. Some other guys were making brackets.

Have a look if you would like.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=75388

http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76741

i have a set of nelson rigg saddle bags on my busa (see avatar) that are built specifcally for sport bikes. They are a little on the small side compared to some of the other saddle bags, but they hold enough stuff to keep me happy and don't get burnt up by my pipes. the tail bag i have is hideous and knowing what i know now would not be my first choice.

Have you considered something like this? It sounds like you can attach it to the pillion and leave it there. Serves 2 purposes. Seat cushion and tail bag.

I think I am going to do one of these next.

Images.aspx?PID=215

Images.aspx?PID=216

That looks like it would be great, but I am not sure how much it would actually hold. I am not planning any cross country rides but need to get rid of this backpack for anything other than commuting.

That looks like it would be great, but I am not sure how much it would actually hold. I am not planning any cross country rides but need to get rid of this backpack for anything other than commuting.

The word this in my post above is a link to the website.

This might work better for you. Looks like it holds quite a bit!

http://www.thecycleguys.com/default.aspx?PageID=120&CategoryID=17&ProductID=97

Also looks like the one they show in the vid. is the size one. The one you need.

SIZE 1 fits

HONDA CBR1000RR (04-07), CBR600RR (03-09)

KAWASAKI ZX-6R (03-04), Z-1000 (03-06)

SUZUKI GSX-R600/750 (04-05)

TRIUMPH Daytona 675 (06-09)

YAMAHA R6 (99-05), R6S (06-09), R1 (00-06)

I have a 1000rr and used a tank bag that has material on the bottom that allows you to slip the bag over a sissy bar or something like that. I trimmed it so I can slip the rear seat into this space and snap the seat in as usual. The seat would have to pop off for the bag to come loose.

I'd go with a tank bag instead.

Any particular reason why? I have never had any luggage before so I don't know the pros and cons. My bike has a plastic tank cover so the magnetic ones won't work unless I glue magnets underneath the plastic and I am not sure about how strapping it down would work on my bike.

I would also recommend a tank bag. You asked for tail so that's why I recommended the ones I did.

I just did a quick search for tak bags for your 04 CBR and came up with this. Looks like they have some that mount through the gas cap. Never seen one in person though. Good, Bad I have no clue!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/253/

if you get tank bag you'll have to secure it with straps since you've got plastic tank cover (as you stated). honestly I think tankbags are more popular since they are more secure and if it starts to come loose you will notice a lot sooner than a bag on the rear seat

This is what I use. Serves me very well on my 1000RR. I even purchased the saddle bags that hook to it. The sides even expand for a little more storage.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=148&cat=31

I really think I'm going to buy one of these. How do you like the storage and how good is it at staying on the rear seat?

Cortech--it's expandable and can attach to just about anything. It's way comfortable on the back of the bike...and there is no reason you can't get a tank bag too, but the Cortech holds a TON of stuff and you can even get matching saddle bags that attach to it for added rear storage

CT_SportTailPack.jpg

Cortech--it's expandable and can attach to just about anything. It's way comfortable on the back of the bike...and there is no reason you can't get a tank bag too, but the Cortech holds a TON of stuff and you can even get matching saddle bags that attach to it for added rear storage

CT_SportTailPack.jpg[/quote

Yep, what she ^ said. :)

CT_SportTailPack.jpg[/quote

Yep, what she ^ said. :)

I saw this at iron pony but am concerned with the mounting system as my bike has a fender eliminator and those shock cord straps concern me compared to something that mounts under my passenger seat. This bag seems to have good space and seems perfect except for the fact that the mounting system is a concern on my bike. Anyone have experience with this on a sport bike?

Zero actually used that exact bag on his CBR600RR and his CBR1000RR and his FZ1 and his DR650 and now the WR250R--his bikes had fender eliminators too and he used the bag with all of them...and it's still in perfect condition...heck we used it today...I'm tellin you what it is multfunctional and has lots of extras for added storage

This is what I use. Serves me very well on my 1000RR. I even purchased the saddle bags that hook to it. The sides even expand for a little more storage.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=148&cat=31

How do you like the mounting system for this? My only concern is the shock cord mounting with those plastic hooks. My bike has a fender eliminator so I am unsure how the mount will work. It certainly seems to have enbough space and I almost bought it at pony this weekend, just still unsure.

Zero actually used that exact bag on his CBR600RR and his CBR1000RR and his FZ1 and his DR650 and now the WR250R--his bikes had fender eliminators too and he used the bag with all of them...and it's still in perfect condition...heck we used it today...I'm tellin you what it is multfunctional and has lots of extras for added storage

Thanks for the info!! I definitely like the bag and since it appears it has no mounting issues then it moves back to the top of my list.

Thanks again!