Would you hire her?

KhaoticRebel

That is the best movie ever! It is soooo true...The best thing is that people who watch it and don't see the truth in it....are the idiots!

We are all screwed! Too many kids and parents think that they should have something for nothing! Everyone is entitled to what everyone else has. That is the mentality of lower class!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try and get ANY job (let alone a job with a Fortune 500) that pays a respectable annual salary without a college degree.

Damn near impossible these days....

i beg to differ on this statement. Maybe in the office world, but some of us weren't meant to sit behind a desk. I prefer working outside. Theres a ton of money to be made, but you have to go get it, its not going to come to you, and yes it is hard work, but I love it.

So far, I've managed to convince all of two people to try doing things my way, and now they're magic geniuses from the future, too. But they're still outnumbered by assholes in rugby shirts and flip-flops waiting for their 'participation trophies'.

Rep for this comment.

Let me say, I went through the same thing with my technical school, that this women is going through with hers. One of the major selling points was th 110% job placement program. Well that didn't work worth a shit.

I did all of the leg work myself. Found my own job, ang get along just fine.

I didn't walk at graduation, simply because I didn't want to give the school any more money. I graduated, and dropped by the school to pickup my degree, that I asked them to mail. Whilst sitting in the lobby, a new batch of students were taking a tour. The school rep was dumb enough to ask me for input. So I gave it to them straight laced. Which wasn't very helpful for the school cause.

They have also emailed me several times to come back and speak to current students. I have refused. They also want to take the credit for the job that I found. I have refused that as well.

In no way have I thought of suing them for their piss poor polcies!

I have, in my own way, ranted for my cause. I just can't wait till I get hit up for an alumni donation! I will record the phonecall.

First of all the difference between a college graduate and a non college graduate is, the college graduate had the motivation to spend four (or more) years and lots of money to better themselves and the non-college graduate did not. So with that being said a potential employer would have better chances with the college educated person. Why do employers want ex-military? Not because they can blow shit up or kill people, very few jobs require those skills, but because they have proven that they can commit themselves to a task.

Secondly teachers need to stop bitching about how much money they don't make. First year teachers in Pickerington make about 35K, not bad for nine months of work.

Edited by shittygsxr

First of all the difference between a college graduate and a non college graduate is, the college graduate had the motivation to spend four (or more) year and lots of money to better themselves and the non-college graduate did not. So with that being said a potential employer would have better chances with the college educated person. Why do employers want ex-military? Not because they can blow shit up or kill people, very few jobs require those skills, but because they have proven that they can commit themselves to a task.

Secondly teachers need to stop bitching about how much money they don't make. First year teachers in Pickerington make about 35K, not bad for nine months of work.

Good work if you can get it. First year teachers in Mt Gilead make 27k/yr.

^^^

While I agree with the military thing, this "college graduate had the motivation" theory is not what I've typically seen. In my experience its more likely to run into a college grad who had mommy and daddy pay their way through and somehow think 4 years of beer bongs somehow means they've "paid their dues".

Nowadays it seems to me that degree/no degree you still run into the same amount of idiots.

Baby girl needs a nice tall glass of reality. It's not her college's fault that there aren't many jobs. And with her sense of entitlement, I'd have to wonder how the two interviews went that she DID have. 20bux says she went in there with an attitude, like 'yall betta GIVE me this damn job!'

Nowadays it seems to me that degree/no degree you still run into the same amount of idiots.

completely agree. I spent 5 years in school and probably ran into more idiots there than I have in a few jobs I have worked with people who had no degree or a 2 year degree. To me school doesn't mean shit about their potential, it is all about the person's knowledge and attitude anymore

First of all the difference between a college graduate and a non college graduate is, the college graduate had the motivation to spend four (or more) years and lots of money to better themselves and the non-college graduate did not.

*cough* bullshit *cough*

Motivation is not based on how much you spend on something you might never use...

I see your point regarding 'commitment' but it still doesn't take 4 years to learn a trade that will bring money. My wife consistently states that she should have gone to a 'technical school' and saved herself 4 years and tens of thousands of dollars. Nothing she learned in college is anything she couldn't have taught herself by reading and researching on her own. She just paid some popped collared douche bag to read it to her' date=' instead.[/quote']

Until you get in the door for an interview, we are all white paper with black ink on it. You could be the smartest person in the entire world but I am not going to find out because I am going to throw your resume in the trash. That expensive piece of paper helps you "get in the door" after that it doesn't mean shit. There was a time when you would work for the same company for thirty years then retire, but that time is gone. Chances are your wife will work for several different companies during her career. When her resume is 1 of 200 and they start filing all of the resumes of people without college degrees in the "round file cabinet" she will be glad she went to college.

Yes, many people piss away the oppurtunities that a college education provides. One walk through any university and you will see people that traveled half way around the world for the opportunity often leaving friends and family behind.

That's $700/week. Not bad money for a first year anything in my opinion.

Yeah but you have to work nine months a year, get those holidays off, spring break, winter break, STRS, no social security tax, the list goes on and on. The average teacher in Ohio only makes ~$57k

with a gpa of 2.7 you're surprised she lacks common sense? :)

just bc you go to college and lack a stellar gpa bc u partied for four years doesnt mean one can't excell at an entry level position which is what most recent grads experience at an undergrad level. college is about a life experience, making friends and connections, both academically and socially. there are plenty of suma cum laude who can't function socially nor land a position and spend years as a career student. And just bc you do finish college doesnt mean you'll clear 6 or 7 figs either. likewise, young people might overlook the cost and think harder about choosing a college rather than expect a college with a weak alumnus to go to bat for you on the job front. i think her suit is foundless but colleges should not go around boasting about their alumnus and job placement opportunities either -- and not be able to produce enough employees to facilitate the student applicants. sounds like they didnt do shit. it also sounds like she's dumbfounded over not finding a job in this market... hello ??? where have you been since may of last year when over night the economy took a dump. ok -- maybe she's been partying the whole time after all. hey, we all know the former pres was a solid C and look where it landed him..... my point is -- he was connected.:rolleyes:

just bc you go to college and lack a stellar gpa bc u partied for four years doesnt mean one can't excell at an entry level position which is what most recent grads experience at an undergrad level. college is about a life experience, making friends and connections, both academically and socially. there are plenty of suma cum laude who can't function socially nor land a position and spend years as a career student. And just bc you do finish college doesnt mean you'll clear 6 or 7 figs either. likewise, young people might overlook the cost and think harder about choosing a college rather than expect a college with a weak alumnus to go to bat for you on the job front. i think her suit is foundless but colleges should not go around boasting about their alumnus and job placement opportunities either -- and not be able to produce enough employees to facilitate the student applicants. sounds like they didnt do shit. it also sounds like she's dumbfounded over not finding a job in this market... hello ??? where have you been since may of last year when over night the economy took a dump. ok -- maybe she's been partying the whole time after all. hey, we all know the former pres was a solid C and look where it landed him..... my point is -- he was connected.:rolleyes:

:plus1:

I was once told on seperate occasions by 3 different executives that us "C" average students make the world turn and are often more successful. I really thought the first two were just blowing smoke up my ass and being nice as opposed to calling me a dumbass :D. It was finally by the third one that I actually started to believe it.

First of all the difference between a college graduate and a non college graduate is, the college graduate had the motivation to spend four (or more) years and lots of money to better themselves and the non-college graduate did not. So with that being said a potential employer would have better chances with the college educated person. Why do employers want ex-military? Not because they can blow shit up or kill people, very few jobs require those skills, but because they have proven that they can commit themselves to a task.

Not going to college had nothing to do with motivation. I didn't have mommy and daddy to pay my way. I went to college but paying my bills became more important than paying for college, so I didn't finish.

And if I only made 35K for 9 months, I'd be pissed.

Not going to college had nothing to do with motivation. I didn't have mommy and daddy to pay my way. I went to college but paying my bills became more important than paying for college, so I didn't finish.

And if I only made 35K for 9 months, I'd be pissed.

Well mommy and daddy didn't pay my way, so I started off with a scholarship, then I got a full time job with tuition reimbursement, then I sued my daddy for back child support, then my mother got a different job that paid for my tuition. Man that was a lot of work. Some would say "Where there's a Will, there's a way".

then you would have made the wrong career choice. The point is you like working on trains and the reward (salary) is mutually agreeable to you and your employer.

I am not a teacher, but through the miracle of the internet I can find out what they make. Next I can find out what I need to do to become a teacher. Finally I can decide if the reward (salary) is worth the work to become a teacher.

The above example can be applied to many careers.

Edited by shittygsxr

Well mommy and daddy didn't pay my way, so I started off with a scholarship, then I got a full time job with tuition reimbursement, then I sued my daddy for back child support, then my mother got a different job that paid for my tuition. Man that was a lot of work. Some would say "Where there's a Will, there's a way".

then you would have made the wrong career choice. The point is you like working on trains and the reward (salary) is mutually agreeable to you and your employer.

I am not a teacher, but through the miracle of the internet I can find out what they make. Next I can find out what I need to do to become a teacher. Finally I can decide if the reward (salary) is worth the work to become a teacher.

The above example can be applied to many careers.

I wasn't referring to you in particular with the "mommy & daddy" comment. We've talked in the past about what you went thru;)

I wasn't referring to you in particular with the "mommy & daddy" comment. We've talked in the past about what you went thru;)

I know you weren't but you didn't leave college because you "had to" it just wasn't the path that was right for you. It would be silly for someone to sit here and bitch about not getting a job as a doctor just because they didn't have a college degree. For some reason it is acceptable to bitch about not getting (insert job here) when they have not put in the effort to meet the requirements for that job (college, experience, ect)

I know you weren't but you didn't leave college because you "had to" it just wasn't the path that was right for you. It would be silly for someone to sit here and bitch about not getting a job as a doctor just because they didn't have a college degree. For some reason it is acceptable to bitch about not getting (insert job here) when they have not put in the effort to meet the requirements for that job (college, experience, ect)

Agreed

+2

Seriously, put a college grad side by side with a high school grad with 4 years of entry level experience...

More often than not the job is going to the college grad... sorry but every posting I see says college degree or experience... and I know from experience college is > work experience unless you're doing the EXACT job they are hiring for.

I don't think it's right, but you can't change the world :(

No college degree and I've got, in my opinion, a respectable salary.
As long as you're willing to put in the work, no.

I lasted 2.5 years in college before I flunked out. First freshman year, I went completely batshit crazy bananas trying out all this new-found "freedom" stuff. Failed out for a semester. Tried community college, not really for me. Second freshman year (started in spring semester), tried a little harder, needed to take a full ride of summer classes to stay up. I ended up coming .01 short of the cutoff for academic suspension, and my parents would not allow me to appeal. Had I appealed, I would have won due to the margin, but in retrospect I don't fault their decision one bit.

I won't bore everyone with the details of the rest of this story, but to give the Cliffs notes I moved to where I knew the jobs were, got my ass out there to network, and through hard work, putting up with MASSIVE amounts of bullshit, and a little of knowing the right people, I make an respectable salary, enough to have 2 bikes in the garage and a house that I own.

I didn't say it was impossible guys. Just significantly more difficult.

I don't know what either of you do or what you make, but "respectable" means different things to different people. That being said, it used to be fairly easy to find well paying jobs without a college degree. As time goes by and the pool of potential employees with college degrees gets larger those without a degree become less marketable. Fewer and fewer employers are going to be willing to even look at someone without a degree.

Hey, I don't have a college degree either. However, I do own my own business, and employ several people (some who have degrees, some who don't). I've never looked at a person and based hiring them on whether they had a degree or not, but rather who was best suited for the job. If it ever came down to it, and two candidates were equal in every respect except for education, I would probably defer to the person with the degree.

I didn't say it was impossible guys. Just significantly more difficult.

I don't know what either of you do or what you make, but "respectable" means different things to different people. That being said, it used to be fairly easy to find well paying jobs without a college degree. As time goes by and the pool of potential employees with college degrees gets larger those without a degree become less marketable. Fewer and fewer employers are going to be willing to even look at someone without a degree.

Hey, I don't have a college degree either. However, I do own my own business, and employ several people (some who have degrees, some who don't). I've never looked at a person and based hiring them on whether they had a degree or not, but rather who was best suited for the job. If it ever came down to it, and two candidates were equal in every respect except for education, I would probably defer to the person with the degree.

Well said Todd.

Yeah but you have to work nine months a year, get those holidays off, spring break, winter break, STRS, no social security tax, the list goes on and on. The average teacher in Ohio only makes ~$57k

I wasn't bitching about pay, I guess I was thinking more about schools in general. People don't realize that it takes a lot of tax dollars to run a good school, especially in an area that keeps growing quickly. Sorry for the confusion. The thing I do bitch about is the amount of debt we rack up quickly since we're forced to after a master's within so many years of graduating. You graduate college with $25,000-$30,000 of loans and then have to turn right around and accrue another $15,000+. It's very depressing. The summers, holidays, and snow days definitely make up for everything though, don't get me wrong. I couldn't possibly have a job that was year round with only a few weeks of vacation. I don't know how you all do it.