Need Your Insight( Jet Kit)

Looney

I have an '01 carbed R6. I'm caught between getting rid of it because of the carbs and lack of power.

I have two questions:

1. Can I go right to a stage two Jet kit?

2. If yes, do I need extra equipment(custom airbox, etc.)

I love my bike but don't want the carb problems (been there, done that),

and with the exhaust on it the bike dynoed at 98 hp (without my fat ass on it).

Thanks for the help. Natedogg I know you'll have something to say, I hope.

98hp on a 01 isn't that bad though. that's actually pretty good from what I've seen.

most of them are down around 95.

my buddies 04 that has a ton of mods put out 109 at the rear tire.

I was told that I would prolly need to go up at least one jet. The print out from the dyno showed all the levels were great. My high mount exhaust is killing my air though. Thus the reference to jetting it.

The stage two isn't gonna help you much if it was dyno'ed and the curve looked good....

Like someone said above 98 is a fair number for that bike. If you're looking for more power more mods are needed...

Full exhaust first (you didn't say if you have a slip-on or the whole thing), imo cams are the next step.

not really gonna up the horsepower its just gonna put the power where you need it and make what you have usable its fairly cheap and worth it , will be a totally different bike

Yep, it's going to move the power band lower, so instead of revving the tits off it to hit the 98HP you'll have it at a much lower RPM.

As far as carb tuning goes, I'm a definite noob. Here's Factory Pro's site which has a good amount of useful information: http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tuning_procedures/tuning_carbtune,CV,high_rpm_engines.html As you can see, this is no small deal, especially when you are talking about ripping apart fairings and gas tank to do what is asked of you here. I had thought about this on my Kat and was going to go the FI swap route, but unless you wanted to be a trailblazer I don't see any posted write-ups on the major R6 forums.

Thanks for all the feed back fellas. Think I might just have to do more research to figure out what I want to do. The exhaust is a slip-on by the way. Between adding a full exhaust, or putting a different one on, and doing the Jet Kit, I might be better off getting a bigger bike.

P.S. Be safe on the Coshocton ride tommorrow for all who are going.