Motorcycle Visibility

Casper

I added one of those brake light flashers to my bike.

It does seem to make a difference.

Real simple hook up, just three wires.

picture.php?albumid=473&pictureid=6710&thumb=1

Yeah I got one myself. Add my wife follow me one day and she said it makes a big difference. As for the headlight modulators, I'm not so sure they work the way they should. I've talked to people who say when they see them, they are so fixated on the flashing light, that they tend to move toward it. I too have done it. I would like to see a study done on them someday, or if there has been one done, does anyone have a link to it?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's what I do.

Halo 360 reflective band around the helmet. Iron Pony has 'em for like $15.

I put some cheap-o reflective red/white tape from Harbor Freight on the back of the helmet. You can't miss it. I might be moving up to the DOT-C2 stuff they use on trailers soon. I ride too much at night.

Modulated brake light.. RearAlert. Like $10 on eBay.

Never had any scares to the rear.

I'm actually wiring up the extra light socket holes on the rear of the 250 right now for three rear facing brake/running lights. Each one is getting fused (6 fuses total) so if one gets water in the light socket and shorts, I don't lose all my lighting.

Thinking about putting the rest of that Harbor Freight stuff on the bottom of my lower fairing, but I dunno if that'd look like too much.

I might put a few pieces of SOLAS (marine reflective tape) at certain parts. Ive been really thinking of cutting out the Ninja decal letters in SOLAS, but I'm worried it'd look like shit if I don't do it perfect. That stuff is so reflective, it'd be so visible when I pass by.

Edited by JayW

I'm actually wiring up the extra light socket holes on the rear of the 250 right now for three rear facing brake/running lights. Each one is getting fused (6 fuses total) so if one gets water in the light socket and shorts, I don't lose all my lighting.

I did that too when I had my 250. Really increased rear visibilty.

Don't put all the confidence in a color awareness thing. It's best to make yourself the primary awareness. Just don't let it happen.

On the other hand, the military is quite serious about having every bike rider wear them on base. No exceptions.

This advice from a rider that wears primarily stealth on a blacked out bike...:wtf:

The bottom is, I absolutely refuse to wear a DOT construction worker vest over my jacket.

OHP does have some sweet ones in blue, but I'd have to make sure mine doesn't say STATE PATROL on it. :-P

Don't put all the confidence in a color awareness thing. It's best to make yourself the primary awareness. Just don't let it happen.

Absolutely. The color awareness thing is just added insurance, it does not replace proper defensive riding.

The bottom is, I absolutely refuse to wear a DOT construction worker vest over my jacket.

OHP does have some sweet ones in blue, but I'd have to make sure mine doesn't say STATE PATROL on it. :-P

http://www.rideicon.com/product_details.jsp?category=2230&id=8687

I like the thought behind this, but if you watch it again you DO NOT see the bike the 1st time. You do see it when he looks etc. Different angle.

right, but IMO you dont see it because the driver doesnt see it.

Yeah I got one myself. Add my wife follow me one day and she said it makes a big difference. As for the headlight modulators, I'm not so sure they work the way they should. I've talked to people who say when they see them, they are so fixated on the flashing light, that they tend to move toward it. I too have done it. I would like to see a study done on them someday, or if there has been one done, does anyone have a link to it?

Originally it was called the "Q-Beam" back in the 80's. First one out there that I know of.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/comagination/visipath/visipath.htm

A quote:

Headlight Modulator Regulations: Here are the U.S. regulations for headlight modulators (they are legal in all 50 states); this is Official U.S. Code of Federal Regulations Governing Motorcycle Headlight Modulators - FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulations systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section. Title 49 USC 30103(b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108 | Here's a handy small one-page version to keep on your bike in case you get stopped by the Police | "Motorcyclists who are conspicuous are under-represented in crashes"; read more from NHTSA

Source page for a lot of links:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/safetypage.htm

Why bother with a modulator?

I run with highbeams most of the time.

But I only have one light, Soooooo.

I run my high beam all the time during the day, but I think the advantage of a modulator is that it is "different" and commands attention.

I have an air horn I don't need to be seen ..... just heard..... and if that fails start throwing 1" steel washers at them....

I guarantee you're not louder than the horns on a firetruck/ambulance, and they STILL get people pulling out in front of them.

Being seen is, statistically, much more important than being heard in traffic if you're trying to avoid someone hitting you. The one that will get you will happen so fast, you'll not have time to say "steel washer" before it happens.

Been there.

Just sayin.

I know a few people that run the headlight modulators. They say they are great for getting the attention of those people that might make a left turn in front of you. However they do cause people in front of you slow down and some people do get drawn to them.

Originally it was called the "Q-Beam" back in the 80's. First one out there that I know of.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed-motorcycle-products/comagination/visipath/visipath.htm

A quote:

Headlight Modulator Regulations: Here are the U.S. regulations for headlight modulators (they are legal in all 50 states); this is Official U.S. Code of Federal Regulations Governing Motorcycle Headlight Modulators - FMVSS 108 (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) (49 CFR Part 571.108 S7.9.4) allows motorcycle headlight modulations systems all 50 states provided they comply with the standards set forth in this section. Title 49 USC 30103(b1) (US Codes) prohibits any state from forbidding a system that conforms to FMVSS 108 | Here's a handy small one-page version to keep on your bike in case you get stopped by the Police | "Motorcyclists who are conspicuous are under-represented in crashes"; read more from NHTSA

Source page for a lot of links:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-Safety/safetypage.htm

Thanks for the information!

Why bother with a modulator?

I run with highbeams most of the time.

But I only have one light, Soooooo.

I run with my high beam on all day until dusk, sometimes until somone flashes me. The high beam is way more visible than the low beam even on a sunny day, but I am not sure I like the modulators.

I guarantee you're not louder than the horns on a firetruck/ambulance, and they STILL get people pulling out in front of them.

Being seen is, statistically, much more important than being heard in traffic if you're trying to avoid someone hitting you. The one that will get you will happen so fast, you'll not have time to say "steel washer" before it happens.

Been there.

Just sayin.

Very True, good point.

I run my high beam all the time during the day' date=' but I think the advantage of a modulator is that it is "different" and commands attention.[/quote']

:plus1:

I agree, it's just something different that stands out! Maybe a strobe? (Sure that would be less than legal though)