Winter riding...

alab32

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as for the original question:

last year i rode every month of the year. im on the same course for this year too. maybe not every single day, but i was out in every month as long as the road is somewhat clear. my commute isnt very far though, so the cold is no big thing. i got the gear for it.

this is the worst i think I've riden in. the day before Feb 12th was beautifull and 60 degrees so we rode down into the hills to do some offroading and camp out. It rained that night and then snowed about 5 inches. So there was a thick coating of Ice under the snow making it very slick. Rode 40 miles out of the hills back to Caldwell of I-77 where I had my truck and warmth! :)

winterroadshot.jpg

Most on here tend to be "fair weather" riders. Won't ride in the rain, won't ride if it's cold, won't ride if the weather man sneezes.

While I lived in PA and OH, I rode all year round. If the roads were clear I was riding. Last New Year's day I did a New Year's ride w/MotOhio. It was 12° when we started, and 3hrs and 70 miles later, it warmed up to 23°. Yeah salt sux and washing your bike in the cold sux more, but it sure is fun.

I have heated grips & a vest, and I'll ride down to 10 as long as it's not wet/icy. Salt sucks, but I clean it off. I'd rather deal with it than park my bike for half the year.

Of course, I ride dual sports and adventure stuff so aesthetics aren't my thing...I suppose if I were into chrome the winter would be the shits here and I'd avoid anything that would rust the bike, but luckily such concerns are for other people.

I like riding in the cool weather...makes you feel like you're getting away with something, and with heated gear you can sweat in freezing weather.

Most on here tend to be "fair weather" riders. Won't ride in the rain, won't ride if it's cold, won't ride if the weather man sneezes.

While I lived in PA and OH, I rode all year round. If the roads were clear I was riding. Last New Year's day I did a New Year's ride w/MotOhio. It was 12° when we started, and 3hrs and 70 miles later, it warmed up to 23°. Yeah salt sux and washing your bike in the cold sux more, but it sure is fun.

i need more friends like this guy!

Im from suffolk county then I moved for 12 year up state to watkins glen on lake senica

I suppose from Suffolk co. that Watkins Glen would be "upstate" but that is DEFF not UPstate. I lived farther north than you and I was in MIDstate, i used to live in the Plattsburg area. Now THAT is UPstate. ha ha. Welcome to OH my fellow NYer.

you KNOW you want a dual sport! :D

Yeah, pretty much. AFTER I get a raggedy old sportbike of some sort, then I'ma have to hunt down some kind of dirtbike.

The ability jump the curb and randomly disappear into the woods then magically reappear on the sidewalk in front of Chipotle sounds pretty cool.

:lol:

EDIT: In my ignorance/ laziness, I don't actually differentiate between dirtbike and dualsport-- that's just a street-legal dirtbike, right? When I say dirtbike, that's actually what I'm talking about.

Sounds like it wont be too bad then. Salt is never fun, not only can it rust your bike out but it can also cause a low slide in a turn so... screw that! Especially if they use as much as NY does. Thanks for all the replies guys and gals.

OH, especially the Columbus area, treat salt like it's an endangered species.. They barely and rarely salt the road. They will throw a shit load of gravel/sand every now and again, but now much in way of salt, calcium chloride, or other ice melting materials.