Two more killed in NE Ohio, bikers fault...

SWing'R

Sad to hear things like this, it doesn't help our image with the cagers.

Don't pass on double yellow lines guys/girls, they're marked that way for a reason.

This rider was in a hurry, now he and his passenger are both dead.

http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/09/14/news/mj1606844.txt

:rip:

I've made my share of Double Yellow passes. I will continue to do so. Just think. If you can't see far enough ahead, hold back until you can. Especially when a passenger is on board. Roads can be fun, but they're not a safe playground.

My condolences go out to the families of all involved.

On another note though, coming from Germany it shocks me to see how people ride their motorcycles here in the states. Fatalities could be greatly decreased wearing the proper PPE. I realize sometimes all is lost, but at least this way you did everything right.

How many Harley riders do you see wearing a helmet or protective gear for that matter? Protective gear is made for a reason! A helmet was found at the scene, it probably was not a full face, and maybe it was just hooked to the motorcycle somewhere ( I don't get it - do they think they can put it on real quick if they get into a bad situation?).

Even sportbikers here wear shorts and no helmet!

Someone said in one of my earlier posts, "well, speedlimits here in the states are made for safety!" Ya think? Then why don't they implement a helmet law? Stupid! My life is too precious to take more risk than I have to, and riding a motorcycle is risky enough with unaware cagers out there.

As a MSF Instructor I venture a bit from the curriculum just to show a slideshow that I put together with graphic images and I have gotten awesome responses just due to that.

One day I got a call at home from a guy that went through my BRC and he just said, Thanks Mel. And I asked him why. Well, come to find out he had crashed his mc that afternoon. He told me he had went out and got all protective gear after seeing my slideshow. His PPE was torn on all the important areas padded. Had he worn Jeans, he would have probably lost his kneecap, and his arms, elbows and shoulders would have been in bad shape too.

Come on guys! Wear ALL of your PPE ALL of the time! You only have one life - Protect it! NO skin below the chin!

www.ride2die.com (graphic material)

I dare you to go see and look at what happens to your hands, if you don't wear gloves should you hit the ground and other body parts - for those of you who don't believe in PPE

Have a great week.

Mel

double yellow or not, you pass when it's clear, not when you feel like it.

A dotted line is not a free ticket to pass, you still need to assure you are clear to pass... I'm not a "father knows best" but the dotted/double lines are there for a reason...

Right we have better acceleration and more agility than a car, but still, if you see a double yellow it's just more reason to MAKE 100% SURE you're clear to pass.

Double yellow didn't keep me from passing that Suidwing yesterday, it was the lack of opportunity to do so safely and comfortably.

I'm thinking I need to wear my riding pants more often, since I usually wear jeans or work uniform pants riding the day to day stuff, within a few miles of home...

We always feel as if "it will never happen to me". There are two types of riders, those who have crashed and those who will. We need to protect ourselves reguardless of what we ride and how we ride. But when you have a passenger you are obligated to protect them. Taking risks with a passenger is asking to kill your loved one or family or friend. Not something i am willing to do. RIP and prayers to the familys.

There are ALWAYS two sides to every argument.

I guarantee someone said "the truck should have moved over for a faster vehicle, if he would have given more room than the HD could have cleared"

People say that all the time, usually referencing the gap, there are 2 sides to everything!

We always feel as if "it will never happen to me". There are two types of riders, those who have crashed and those who will. We need to protect ourselves reguardless of what we ride and how we ride. But when you have a passenger you are obligated to protect them. Taking risks with a passenger is asking to kill your loved one or family or friend. Not something i am willing to do. RIP and prayers to the familys.

Well said.....When you have a passenger with you, it is paramount that you slow the fuck down and obey all the rules and be even more vigilant.

When someone climb in the back of your seat, they put their lives in your hand. Taking additional risk, beside riding a motorcycle, is truly criminal.

I feel terrible for all involved, but sometimes you wonder how some people neglect to realize that riding a motorcycle, if a deadly business if you don't have all the proper skills and gear, and more importantly KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS and don't be afraid to admit to yourself to it.

I've made my share of Double Yellow passes. I will continue to do so. Just think. If you can't see far enough ahead, hold back until you can. Especially when a passenger is on board. Roads can be fun, but they're not a safe playground.
double yellow or not, you pass when it's clear, not when you feel like it.

A dotted line is not a free ticket to pass, you still need to assure you are clear to pass... we have better acceleration and more agility than a car, but still, if you see a double yellow it's just more reason to MAKE 100% SURE you're clear to pass.

:them: sympathy goes out to the family and friends they left behind.

My condolences go out to the families of all involved.

On another note though, coming from Germany it shocks me to see how people ride their motorcycles here in the states. Fatalities could be greatly decreased wearing the proper PPE. I realize sometimes all is lost, but at least this way you did everything right.

How many Harley riders do you see wearing a helmet or protective gear for that matter? Protective gear is made for a reason! A helmet was found at the scene, it probably was not a full face, and maybe it was just hooked to the motorcycle somewhere ( I don't get it - do they think they can put it on real quick if they get into a bad situation?).

Even sportbikers here wear shorts and no helmet!

Someone said in one of my earlier posts, "well, speedlimits here in the states are made for safety!" Ya think? Then why don't they implement a helmet law? Stupid! My life is too precious to take more risk than I have to, and riding a motorcycle is risky enough with unaware cagers out there.

As a MSF Instructor I venture a bit from the curriculum just to show a slideshow that I put together with graphic images and I have gotten awesome responses just due to that.

One day I got a call at home from a guy that went through my BRC and he just said, Thanks Mel. And I asked him why. Well, come to find out he had crashed his mc that afternoon. He told me he had went out and got all protective gear after seeing my slideshow. His PPE was torn on all the important areas padded. Had he worn Jeans, he would have probably lost his kneecap, and his arms, elbows and shoulders would have been in bad shape too.

Come on guys! Wear ALL of your PPE ALL of the time! You only have one life - Protect it! NO skin below the chin!

www.ride2die.com (graphic material)

I dare you to go see and look at what happens to your hands, if you don't wear gloves should you hit the ground and other body parts - for those of you who don't believe in PPE

Have a great week.

Mel

We all appreciate your voice on what is a huge dispute in the US, but most of us are in fact ATGATT (all the gear all the time) riders. For too many it's about image not riding safely. In some cases such as this one it is poor judgement that results in the worst case senerio. I feel badly for the couple that paid the ultimate price but we need to learn from their mistakes. Ride smart, ATGATT, and be ready for anything at all times.

We all appreciate your voice on what is a huge dispute in the US, but most of us are in fact ATGATT (all the gear all the time) riders. For too many it's about image not riding safely. In some cases such as this one it is poor judgement that results in the worst case senerio. I feel badly for the couple that paid the ultimate price but we need to learn from their mistakes. Ride smart, ATGATT, and be ready for anything at all times.

heh :) confusing safety with legal requirements is a mistake, same as thinking we (the government) needs to protect the community by writing laws (like wearing a helmet)

Anyway, not sure it helps this thread, but given the circumstances would we really expect the departed to have survived? "We'd only know if they wore it" true, but it's all speculation at this point :(

RIP

Hey builtit,

from browsing this Forum and seeing the pics, it does look like the majority on here wears their gear (well, helmet and Jacket that is).

But when I am out and about I see the majority NOT wearing it, especially on hot days. Now that the weather is cooling down, I see way more ppl wearing their PPE.

I absolutely HATE frying in my suit but I would NEVER ride without it, hot or not.

Yes, I agree that this was misjudgement, but again, first thought for me was that most likely this person was not wearing a helmet, which initiated my post.

I really commend everybody that is wearing their full armor because that is the only thing that might keep your injuries less severe in a crash.

On the contrary, my exboyfriend died in a crash even though he wore leathers and a helmet. Too bad he thought he could buy a brandnew R6, get on it and know how to ride it. Come to find out he didn't - and he paid with his life at age 25 getting carried out of a curve he took way to fast and not knowing the correct procedure to lean the bike etc.

Bad judgement a lot of times is the cause for the crash, but PPE is what should protect us should the crash happen.

But, I guess I am preaching to the choir!

Hey, if I can only make one person think and change what he does, my 2 minutes here writing this was not in vain. :o

btw:

Not many people realize that most motorcycle injuries occur below the belt. Your legs and feet are extremely vulnerable, so make sure that you wear a decent pair of high boots and some protective pants. The pants should be reinforced at the knees and hips; ideally they should attach to your jacket by a zipper. Boots should be thick leather, with a sole that can flex with the foot but has a resistance to crushing across the foot.

Traditional material for motorcycle clothing is leather, but thick nylon and other synthetic materials work well too. Kevlar reinforced jeans are better than normal jeans. Normal jeans last 0.6 seconds in the European standard abrasion test, while protective motorcycle pants will last 5 seconds or more. You don’t really want to be ripping your skin open within less than half a second of falling of your bike do you? Thought not.

Hey builtit,

from browsing this Forum and seeing the pics, it does look like the majority on here wears their gear (well, helmet and Jacket that is).

But when I am out and about I see the majority NOT wearing it, especially on hot days.

Not everyone on the road is an Ohio Rider, at least not yet! :p

Hey builtit, from browsing this Forum and seeing the pics, it does look like the majority on here wears their gear (well, helmet and Jacket that is).

btw:

Not many people realize that most motorcycle injuries occur below the belt. Your legs and feet are extremely vulnerable, so make sure that you wear a decent pair of high boots and some protective pants. The pants should be reinforced at the knees and hips; ideally they should attach to your jacket by a zipper. Boots should be thick leather, with a sole that can flex with the foot but has a resistance to crushing across the foot.

Traditional material for motorcycle clothing is leather, but thick nylon and other synthetic materials work well too. Kevlar reinforced jeans are better than normal jeans. Normal jeans last 0.6 seconds in the European standard abrasion test, while protective motorcycle pants will last 5 seconds or more. You don’t really want to be ripping your skin open within less than half a second of falling of your bike do you? Thought not.

Just because you can't see the armor does not mean those of us that ride in jeans aren't ATGATT. This ain't church so skip the sermon.