what size bike to get

rick37

buy whatever you can handle riding like you stole it, without becoming greasy road spots. I like my kanatuna for what it is. but its not what I would have gotten if I could afford whatever I wanted. I recommend triumph daytona 675. check one out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As some of you know I have a honda spirit 1100, I really want to get a sport bike which size should I start with, Not knowing really the difference in riding cruiser and riding a sport bike i.e handling,acceleration,.

I have been looking at kawasaki ninja 600 and 1000 also a katana 600.

thanks in advance for any comment (good or bad)

Dude - if your only riding experience in life is on a cruiser, consider slowing down a bit and consider an SV650 with the clip-ons. Get you riding skillz up for a season and then consider if you want a hyper bike and go for the full sports 600 or 1000. Theres a nite and day difference between riding cruisers and riding sport.

MD

These are my favorite threads on all forums. The dreaded "what bike should I buy".

I'm not very experienced but it seems like quite a few people jump right into sportsbikes with no previous experience.

anyway I would say.. If your mature enough to ride within your limits and accept the risks then go for something fast. Sport tourers are nice too, especially if you like having something soft sitting behind you

Dude - if your only riding experience in life is on a cruiser, consider slowing down a bit and consider an SV650 with the clip-ons. Get you riding skillz up for a season and then consider if you want a hyper bike and go for the full sports 600 or 1000. Theres a nite and day difference between riding cruisers and riding sport.

Agreed. The SV is still a V-twin but takes the same torque that a cruiser uses to putt on by at low RPMs and uses that to scream off the line. However, the power is easy to control and is very responsive to throttle movement, which is important when transitioning over to a high RPM machine. Moved from a cruiser to an SV650 myself and never looked back.

These are my favorite threads on all forums. The dreaded "what bike should I buy".

I'm not very experienced but it seems like quite a few people jump right into sportsbikes with no previous experience.

anyway I would say.. If your mature enough to ride within your limits and accept the risks then go for something fast. Sport tourers are nice too, especially if you like having something soft sitting behind you

That's why I love my FJR! Make it go fast, still cruise happily when I want, and pull the trailer with me every now and then. :)

Digging the SV suggestions... but get the SV1000. :)

I may be partial, but it's got all the power of a 600, and more torque, but it's a piggy on the weight. You have a cruiser, so you probably wouldn't even notice - you'll just be amazed at how nimble a 450lbs bike can be.

And V-twins sound sooooooooooo pretty.

I actually think an SV1000 or TL1000 would be a great suggestion. as noted, someone used to a cruiser won't notice the (relatively) high weight, and the torque characteristics will be similar.

if you really want a full-on supersport, then you don't need anything bigger than a 600. 100hp and 420 lbs wet... the difference between a cruiser and a sportbike is ridiculous.

hell, my 50hp EX500 is only a couple tenths slower than the 1850cc Yamaha Raider I took on a demo ride... a 100hp 600cc bike will be WORLDS faster than an 1100cc cruiser.

Yea I don't think I want the katana and go to cashoton if I remember right they do not come out the same way they went in.

I have seen a few of the bikes I want at integrity cycles and almost ready to commit,but I do have all winter to get one.

On the down low from the wife-Good thing I have 2 garages

Not sure if I'll catch shit for saying this, since I just saw a banner at the top of the site. But, I'd stay away from Integrity Cycles. They ripped me off on my first street bike, didn't realize it until months later. I constantly see older bikes way overpriced on their website, and I've heard bad things from other riders.

Not sure if I'll catch shit for saying this, since I just saw a banner at the top of the site. But, I'd stay away from Integrity Cycles. They ripped me off on my first street bike, didn't realize it until months later. I constantly see older bikes way overpriced on their website, and I've heard bad things from other riders.

I bought my 1100 from them and had a good experience-I shopped around and told cris I was and he told to please do.I now do my home work before I go out looking, The one place I refuse to buy from is lancaster sports,they was not willing to deal for cash and had the balls to tell me they make more on financing after that I walk straight out the door and have not been back since. f**k lancaster sports.

I negged you for plussing Justin. That fucking wanker... :nono:

:D IP like to neg rep people for pos repping others, I forgot all about that! It is nice that you don't have to bother signing it now, isn't it? Don't worry, I'm not getting eSand in my eVag over it! :lol:

(Pauly signed all the neg rep he's given me, for the record...)

Edited by jporter12

new or used doesnt matter theres good money to the dealers in finace

Keeping the man down by having him owe money to everyone has become the American way. Soory, I'm not going to fall for it! Looks like I'm going to be riding cheap, or old bikes until I can save some money.....

Getting your first sportbike? Are you used to riding with your front wheel off the ground at high speed? Are you used to adjusting your line & staying on the throttle (else highside) when your back wheel steps out a bit while exiting a corner? If your answer is no to either or both of the preceding questions, I would advise getting a 6oo or something similar. I forgot, BMW just came out with a I4 litrebike with traction & wheelie control. Good luck & have fun.