Buell

RSVDon

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your dealer already has a 2010, or ordered one before last week, then you'll see it on the floor. Otherwise, it ain't happening. There are a few out there (Anyone who has access to AAFEES..you're in luck), but you'd be hard pressed to find them. Dealers still have 08's on the floor..so I don't think they were falling over themselves to bring 10's in the door.

I can't get over how ugly the 1125R is, even though it performs. I think I like the CR better..but since I'm not selling the ZX10, I'm leaning more towards the Lightning for street duty. I want something fun on the street ..and something dedicated for track duty. buuuttttt....it's hard to ignore the pricing on the 1125's.

Interesting read on how HD has handled this situation.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2009/ ... vings.html

...Elsewhere, it's suggested that the Iron 883 -- essentially a Sportster with matte black paint -- represents a successful model for reaching the under 35 demographic, yet Sportster production will be put on hold during Q4, 2009...

...All this sounds startlingly similar to the business practices that got Harley into so much trouble in the first place. It'll continue to rely on the same demographic buying the same motorcycles and, since a large proportion of those customers don't have enough money to buy either the bikes or the accessories, it'll continue to give loans to people that can't afford to repay them. It'll make those loans using money that it has, in turn, borrowed, often at a higher interest rate than what's being charged to customers. The company has presented no short-term plans to pursue the design of motorcycles with appeal outside its existing customer base and is therefore hoping the customers of other brands change their preference rather than finding new ways to appeal to new customers. As Boomers age beyond their riding years and see their purchasing power massively reduced by the end of cheap credit, Harley is failing to understand either the need or the means to reach a younger or wider audience. Relying on the market for motorcycles to return to its pre-recession levels without taking active steps to see it do so seems a remarkably naive way to do business. Harley is now effectively a passive passenger riding the economy's roller coaster. If the economy goes up, a lot, it might be OK. If the economy goes down or remains stagnant, it may find itself unable to repay that $1.9 billion and be forced to seek protection from its creditors...

I have read several artices where HD has stated that it will reach younger blood (under 35) with it's 'dark customs.' I had to look that up. 'Dark customs' are bikes like the Iron 883 and the Night Train, they have matte finishes in place of some of the chrome. They doen't need as much polishing & that is supposed to appeal to younger riders. I agree cleaning bikes sucks ass, but I really hope that isn't their whole plan.

It's also been suggested that the Vrod and new XR1200 could be next on the chopping block.

:popcorn:

...they have matte finishes in place of some of the chrome. They doen't need as much polishing & that is supposed to appeal to younger riders. I agree cleaning bikes sucks ass, but I really hope that isn't their whole plan.

Is that your reasoning or HDs? Because do you know how hard it is to clean a matte finish? Not to derail the thread, but this is the same concept...

http://jalopnik.com/5385101/lotus-exige-scura-lord-vader-your-track-day-car-has-arrived

Meet the new Lotus Exige Scura (i.e. 'Dark Custom' Exige)

500x_Lotus_Exige_Scura_Studio_Front_3qtrs_21_01.jpg

Paint Warranty

The Lotus Exige Scura is painted in a 'soft feel' water borne matt black paint finish that is resistant to most normal forms of atmospheric attack provided the special cleaning and maintenance requirements as specified by Lotus are strictly adhered

to. However due to the textured matt finish, fading or discolouration of all or part of the matt paint finish may occur during the early life of the vehicle and this is considered normal and is specifically excluded from any warranty given by Lotus.

The special matt paint finish utilised on the Lotus Scura is provided with a limited warranty of the earlier of 12 months or 12,000 miles/20,000 km from the date of first registration of the vehicle. Please consult your Authorised Lotus Dealer for full details.

Is that your reasoning or HDs? Because do you know how hard it is to clean a matte finish?

It's not my thoery. It's been mentioned is several press releases and it was mentioned quite a few times on HD forums (I made a point to read them after the Buell announcment).

Matte black is EXTREMELY hard to keep looking like...well...matte black. I had a HJC helmet that was matte black. Cool as fuck to look at , but every little touch (oil from the skin) or even a little rub against something created a spot on it that didn't quite match the rest of the helmet.

If HD is cutting it's nose off to spite its face, I am truly..truly disappointed. Not that I wasn't disappointed in them before...but now it's two "truly's". Before, it was just one truly.

Don't forget the 10% tax credit if you buy a motorcycle!! Available through 2011.

Courtesy of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.

Electric bikes only...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090821035531AAwmxyY

Motorcycles and cars qualify for a one-time above-the-line adjustment for the sales tax paid if bought between Feb 17, 2009 and Dec 31, 2009. The same qualifications apply for cars and motorcycles as to price, GVWR, and income limits. This adjustment reduces your AGI and therefore your taxable income and tax.

There is also a 10% (max $2,500) non-refundable credit for street-legal electric motorcycles purchased by Dec 31, 2011. A credit reduces your tax dollar-for-dollar. Since it's non-refundable it's limited to your tax liability.

Though, regular bikes get to take sales tax off.

if anyone is interested, i have a lead on a white 09 1125R for 6500 OTD

it'll only cost you $1000 for where! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

jk, just let me know if you want the info. I think I'm looking at CR's now.

ok nvm it just sold. lol

Edited by jbot