Buell

RSVDon

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read... there isn't just a couple slight difference between the Rs and CRs

The CRs has a taller gear, for quicker accel, but lower top speed

Bars are different

Streetfighter vs. full fairing

But I thought everything else was equal. The engine and weight are exactly the same - it's not a 'detuned' version of the 1125 mill, it's the SAME 146hp powerplant.

Is there some other difference I'm missing? I bet the CR is cheaper to insure too, because it's not an 'R' bike. :rolleyes:

From what I've read... there isn't just a couple slight difference between the Rs and CRs

The CRs has a taller gear, for quicker accel, but lower top speed

Bars are different

Streetfighter vs. full fairing

But I thought everything else was equal. The engine and weight are exactly the same - it's not a 'detuned' version of the 1125 mill, it's the SAME 146hp powerplant.

Is there some other difference I'm missing? I bet the CR is cheaper to insure too, because it's not an 'R' bike. :rolleyes:

That is most of it. The CR also has a different swingarm and uses a different belt. The motor/airbox/ehaust/ECM/suspension is the same as the R.

Different belt for the different "sprocket" (more teeth)... the swingarm difference is interesting though, didn't know about that... just a length thing? (I suppose that would affect the belt too)

The difference in swingarm lenght is minor (3/8"or so), but it's a different part number.

People have changed from CR to R gearing and vice versa. To do that you actually need to change belt & swingarm. Unlike chain drive, the rear axle is fixed as the belt tension needs to be precise. If you wind up getting one, I suspect you'll prefer the belt over chain drive (unless you want to change gearing).

I did that the other day, but didn't see anything beyond what I noted previously - I guess I should've figured that the swingarm was different given the ever-so-slightly different dimensions.

I like the higher ground clearance of the CR, and I'm sure the MPG hit is due to the taller rear. I don't like that it's an inch WIDER than the 'R', but all the other specs are less than an inch one way or the other.

I like that the 'R' has much more lighting wattage. I'm a huge fan of having a headlight that illuminates things like the freakin' sun, but that wouldn't deter me from getting a CR.

Now, find me that same chart, but put my SV and 1st Gen Hayabusa into it too. :)

The difference in swingarm lenght is minor (3/8"or so), but it's a different part number.

That's the kind of detail I wanted to know... different part number. I'm a huge fan of the belt drive, since I haven't changed sprockets on my other two bikes and probably won't, I don't think that'll be an issue.

Edited by JRMMiii

..trying to decide if the Thunderstorm is worth it...

I just can't bring myself to consider the 1125.

Compared to the ZX10, you would be under-whelmed by the XB mill. But it has a fat torque curve and puts a lot of useable power to the pavement. For aggressive corner carving it does well....track not so much.

Yeah...I know...I know. But the aesthetics of the 1125 kill any desire to throw it around a corner.

Plus, I already have my balls to the wall ride. If I got one, I'd want something fun for the street..where I can feel some power in the low end RPM range. I don't need the ability to do 150+ on the street. Something smaller..more comfortable (!!!!!)..and brand new at a used price is looking good.

If the 1125 had the Firebolt styling w/ the Rotax, I'd be selling Kev's wife to pay for it yesterday.

Compared to the ZX10, you would be under-whelmed by the XB mill. But it has a fat torque curve and puts a lot of useable power to the pavement. For aggressive corner carving it does well....track not so much.

This is exactly what I was typing!!

I like my ZX10, but an all day session of corner carving leaves my ass and legs sore. Plus the stance puts way too much pressure on my broken wrists. I sat on the XB12Ss yesterday, and I could have fallen asleep on the seat. The XB12Scg was a little less comfy, but still leaps and bounds over the ZX10.

So I'm thinking of retiring the ZX10 to track duty, and everything else on the XB12.

I've done 2,000+ miles in 4 days several times on an XB9S, with no real soreness to speak of. It's a great mix of handling and comfort. It had 34k on it when I sold it, and I never had to turn a wrench.

P1000163.JPG

Edited by Tpoppa

Tony riding his bike can hang with the front of any group. I had my doubts about that bikes capabilities but it can carve a corner better than most riders can so in that department no worries. The motor not so much but it's no wall flower. Tony isn't going to be able to say that without sounding like he is tooting his own horn but I enjoy riding with him and that bike doesn't but him at a disadvantage at least comparing it to a 600. I would question its resale value and how you like riding a twin. Ask Justin if you can ride the SV, twins aren't for everyone. Buying a Hyundai is cheaper than buying a Honda up front but overall cost of ownership is more when you factor trade in value.

Your legs should be sore after an all day session of corner carving regardless of which bike you're riding, your ass and wrists are another story. DO NOT use your ZX10 for a track bike you will learn very little with it and leave yourself open for much carnage to it and yourself.

I've already done a track day on the 10. So I know what I'm in store for. The carnage only comes into play when the brain decides to do something stupid. That being said, I swapped bikes (A Gixxer....shh don't tell anyone) and I could tell a big difference in handling. The Kaw had the power over the Gixxer...but didn't seem to translate it to the pavement as well as the Gixxer did with less power.

I understand your 'concern' about learning on the 10...but if I want to go learn me some more, I'll take the XB (assuming I were to buy one).

My legs aren't sore from riding UP...my legs are sore from the god awful seat that's on the bike and the angle it's on. I'm pretty sure I know the difference. I know for a fact that the 12Ss won't stab me in places like the ZX10 does. Matter of fact, I just LEFT LE HD to see if they had it in red...and tried the seat out again. Remind me never to go into an HD shop with gear and a backpack on. Fucking morons.